Jess Settles

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Just finished the replay as I wasn’t able to watch live. Thought he and the play by play guy were very solid. Super complimentary of ISU. The only knock was the lack of big game excitement but when it was never really close after the start of the second half, that’s not really on them

Reactions: Cydkar and CyPunch

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Just finished the replay as I wasn’t able to watch live. Thought he and the play by play guy were very solid. Super complimentary of ISU. The only knock was the lack of big game excitement but when it was never really close after the start of the second half, that’s not really on them
I’m not even sure Gus Johnson could’ve fabricated TV energy.

From the mini-run going into halftime, the fans were not optimistic.

They expected a team “not as good” as Houston. And it was evident to them Iowa State was better.

I was told as such more than once.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Jess is very good. If he continues this trajectory, he’ll be one of the top color guys in television in no time.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Jess still lives in the state (Pella) and follows ISU basketball closely. Like I said in a different thread, he knows more about ISU basketball than any other ESPN commentator not named Fraschilla.

I know he’s a Hawk, but he’s a genuinely good guy if you ever get a chance to meet him in person.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He did a solid job. I was nervous right away (didn’t know who the broadcasters were at first and heard later) when he said that Gilbert doesn’t force things. If there is one thing I think Gilbert will do at times is force things. I thought it was going to be another game where the announcers didn’t know us and just read some quick bullet points.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
The only thing he does that bothers the crap out of me is "Mon-tee Morris" he used to say it all the time when he was on the radio with Chris and he said it last night during the game.

Reactions: CyNews

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I thought the announcers were very fair last night, and did a really good job. Seems Jess is really optimistic on some of his takes....ISU will get a 1 or 2 seed? Also a championship or Final Four in a few years? I like the optimism towards the program, but seems a little bit of a reach last night.

That being said the Cyclones looked pretty solid last night, and Cincy didnt have much of a chance. Crowd was never in it, and even if the score was somewhat close, it wasnt ever that close in reality.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
He does pretty well, although I think he could say a little less (just let the action speak for itself).

He was the first Covid-extra season player ever. I also liked how he was self deprecating when the other announcer brought up he played 6 years & should be called a doctor. Doesn't take himself too seriously (but it was a perfect set up for a Tommy Boy reference & he missed it)
Just a FYI, He played 6 years due to injury, not due to covid. He was long out of college when covid hit

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Jordan Bohannon says hold my beer. Settles played 5 seasons and 116 games JoBo played 6 and 179 games.
Five seasons but over six years. Looks like 96-97 was a medical redshirt season and he missed all of 97-98 before returning for one last fling in 98-99.

1707925835656.png

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought the announcers were very fair last night, and did a really good job. Seems Jess is really optimistic on some of his takes....ISU will get a 1 or 2 seed? Also a championship or Final Four in a few years? I like the optimism towards the program, but seems a little bit of a reach last night.

That being said the Cyclones looked pretty solid last night, and Cincy didnt have much of a chance. Crowd was never in it, and even if the score was somewhat close, it wasnt ever that close in reality.
That crowd boo’s more than Kansas. They were booing their own free throws and timeouts. It was weird.

Reactions: 0u812

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Jess is a great dude and he comes from a fantastic family. Really helps that he's damn good on the call and is always very complimentary of ISU. Really hope he does more of our games.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He was there last night unsure about other games.

Did they ever show him? My attention was divided but I didn’t see him. I just figured it was remote.

I listened to the CW pod w him where they talked about the gig a little and how he manages it with the farm schedule.