Jeremiah Cooper NIL representation

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If it was just business and math then Will McDonald and TJ Tampa wouldn't have played their senior seasons at ISU. Although one could argue foregoing some NIL money in college to stay in a program that you've had a lot of success in is a good business decision in the long run.

Things getting exponentially more aggressive in this space imo. Especially for guys that aren’t potential Day 1 draft guys. The added twist of representation makes it even more likely. “We don’t get paid unless you get paid”.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
So would the national brands persuade an athlete to go to College A instead of College B? Obviously that would and will happen but I see that happening rarely. Maybe I'm naive.

I see this more as Cooper and Noel may not have comfort in pushing the envelope on how much they can ask for a Pizza Hut commercial, so Rosenhaus is doing the envelope pushing for them. Or at least that is what I'm hoping for. Not Nike or Addias saying yes...but.
Your take implies that NIL actually means “name, image and likeness”. Sadly, that is now an almost immaterial part of it. Now it’s a straight up professional contract, regardless of whether or not the poaching fanbase has ever heard of the player. I think this will get ugly.

The first couple years everyone was trying to figure out what it all meant — players, parents, coaches, boosters, agents. Now we’re entering year 3 and we might see some of the worst fears play out. The best thing that could happen is that there are a lot of NIL busts and it causes people to be cautious and the dollar amounts to be within ISU’s reach.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
I think it’s best to assume we have very little in NIL money.

Our key in keeping players is culture and the ability to get players a portion of what they can get elsewhere.
I think WeWill has somewhere in the ballpark of $2mill. It's spread around all sports. No clue how it's distributed though. I also have no idea what individual donors are giving players, or what local businesses are giving outside of the collective.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I think WeWill has somewhere in the ballpark of $2mill. It's spread around all sports. No clue how it's distributed though. I also have no idea what individual donors are giving players, or what local businesses are giving outside of the collective.
I think it’s safe to assume we have some deals living outside the collective.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Here's the logic in Cooper staying. Not saying he will but why he would. He's got one year before he's draft eligible. He knows how he'll be used here and can enhance his draft status. He transfers and it's a crap shoot. If the NFL is the priority (like it was for Tampa) he's better off staying. That said 600k is a lot of insensitive so hopefully we can offer enough to let him bet on himself.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Here's the logic in Cooper staying. Not saying he will but why he would. He's got one year before he's draft eligible. He knows how he'll be used here and can enhance his draft status. He transfers and it's a crap shoot. If the NFL is the priority (like it was for Tampa) he's better off staying. That said 600k is a lot of insensitive so hopefully we can offer enough to let him bet on himself.
You're assuming the report by a single anonymous message board poster of a $600k offer to Texas Tech is even accurate in the first place.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do we even know the $600,000 number is a real number? It was a number thrown out by 1 poster that said it was a rumor

No idea if THIS poster is correct but I’m 99% sure there are people on CF plugged in enough to have first hand knowledge of what a given player is getting or may have turned down at some point.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Do we even know the $600,000 number is a real number? It was a number thrown out by 1 poster that said it was a rumor
Wasn't the rumor that McNamara was getting that exact number too? And I'm pretty sure earlier in the year or the off season it was posted that the Texas OL were each getting like 75k.. So Iowa is paying their DBs each 600k? I just don't buy that.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is purely a rumor but it was from someone who wouldn't have told me if he didn't hear it from someone connected, but they told me our bball guys are each getting 75k. Brent could probably clear that up but if that were true, that's 900k for the basketball team.

Reactions: Letterkenny