Jacob Park

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
I look at it this way...if Lanning doesn't throw the first interception, the other two turnovers most likely don't happen. And even though I don't think we deserved it...we probably win the game.
So yes the fumble was a big play in the game and so was the second interception but the first interception is what cost us the game.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Warren's fumble was just as big as any of Lannings INT's so where's the message board outrage on that one?

Not happy about it. I allow one mistake to be forgiven. Lanning had 4 big mistakes......I am including running back 17 yards from the 11 yard line when we got the safety. I will forgive one.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not happy about it. I allow one mistake to be forgiven. Lanning had 4 big mistakes......I am including running back 17 yards from the 11 yard line when we got the safety. I will forgive one.

That safety really was the killer. Every QB gets INT's. Not every QB gives up a safety like that. At home. Against FCS competition.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY and Messi

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Joel Lanning doesn't have the talent to start at any other Big12 school. Jacob Park does.

There is a reason the staff wants him to get snaps... You don't do that with just any "backup" QB. When he's ready, he's the best option. Obviously you can't just throw a QB out there who isn't ready.

And you know this how?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I got it a lot worse when I said Irving was talented enough to be in the NFL. Now he's a Cowboy.

You also said Malou would be here and Lard... So I wouldn't go around bragging about how much you are right.

And rating someone in HS as having talent is one thing but he didn't work out at Georgia and he didn't play football last year and was 3rd on the depth chart before Nolands injury. So saying he has Big 12 talent at this point is purely conjecture based on a fact (his HS ranking) that isn't relevant anymore.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Not gonna bag on Lanning too much for the safety as it looked like two guys were sprinting at him untouched from his blindside, and he reacted as many qb's would by trying to run away, but he had no chance. The first int when we had the one point lead was by far his worst decision imo and a qb with his experience should have known not to make that throw. Hope he learns from it and soon.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
And rating someone in HS as having talent is one thing but he didn't work out at Georgia and he didn't play football last year and was 3rd on the depth chart before Nolands injury. So saying he has Big 12 talent at this point is purely conjecture based on a fact (his HS ranking) that isn't relevant anymore.

Not a single player who came late stepped in day one and was on the top of the depth chart, why would you expect it to be any different for Park? Of course Zeb who had been here a lot longer and went through more practices was ahead.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The fumble didn't show a lack of good decision making. The interception and fumble by Lanning did.

Decision making can be adjusted and corrected easily via film and situational drills in practice. Fumbling in huge spots seems to be a recurring theme with Warren so I'm assuming it's mental which is much harder to flush out.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Decision making can be adjusted and corrected easily via film and situational drills in practice. Fumbling in huge spots seems to be a recurring theme with Warren so I'm assuming it's mental which is much harder to flush out.
It should be but as we have gone over before I don't believe he can do it.

Warren fumbling is somewhat concerning, although I think somewhat overstated, but that is really a talent issue and not something that can be consciously changed. I'm not going to criticize someone for doing their best but if they make stupid decisions I think it is somewhat fair to criticize.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
Park got here in July. He has been through fall camp and that is essentially it. If you choose to put him in the game, you would have to think the playbook would be pretty limited.

Maybe Park is the answer, maybe he isn't. But I think it is pretty early to pull Lanning. Because he wasn't the only problem against UNI.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Not a single player who came late stepped in day one and was on the top of the depth chart, why would you expect it to be any different for Park? Of course Zeb who had been here a lot longer and went through more practices was ahead.

lol

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
And starting a struggling QB seems like a (traditional) Iowa State QB move.

One game where he made a couple mistakes means he is a struggling QB? Man, in that case might as well start the back up linebackers and back up olineman. Should we bench Warren now because he had a bad game?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron