ISU Tennis

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Take a look at the tennis team roster and tell me the name of any American born player on this year's roster.

American tax payer dollars paying for American public universities. Foreign students/athletes are fine but taking all the scholarship money? It is not just tennis. The Kenyans get 90+% of the track money.
I try not to name drop, but I had a chance to meet Nawal El Moutawakel when she was a student here. She went on to become a hugely influential person and role model...long after the Olympics.

Are you aware just how myopic, small minded and outright buck stupid your comments sound?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Pretty much perfectly illustrates that neither the donors or the AD give a rip about the non-revenue sports, especially the women's sports. They'll shamelessly celebrate the occasional breakthrough success but they have no really interest in sustaining that other than in low cost no facilities sports like women's cross country. They are just a placeholder to meet NCAA requirements. Maybe that's the harsh realty of the budget and all, doesn't mean I have to like it.
Haven’t they put money into the soccer and softball complexes recently?

Reactions: GoldCy

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I try not to name drop, but I had a chance to meet Nawal El Moutawakel when she was a student here. She went on to become a hugely influential person and role model...long after the Olympics.

Are you aware just how myopic, small minded and outright buck stupid your comments sound?

Big 12 POY Melvin Ejim says hi.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The new Waukee HS tennis facility is much better than ISU’s and that is disappointing. I play tennis at Lifetime so I selfishly enjoy that I get to watch them play there until things change.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Haven’t they put money into the soccer and softball complexes recently?

The tennis practice facility is pretty new too - newer than the basketball one. When people are saying tennis needs a new facility I think they mean for competitions.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
To the people who happen to visit this thread, regardless of if you are inside the ISU Athletics circle, I just want to say real Cyclone fans fully support our tennis program. We are extremely proud of what the program has accomplished and we appreciate EVERYONE in the program no matter where they come from. Here's the proof of our true colors.

5ba6b12d12759.image.jpg

Last edited:

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
The tennis practice facility is pretty new too - newer than the basketball one. When people are saying tennis needs a new facility I think they mean for competitions.

It's new it's a 2 court facility, which isn't even enough for your whole team to be on at once. They need one for practice and competition. Compared to the rest of the Big 12 the ISU facilities are embarrassing.

Last edited:
  • Dumb

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
It's new it's a 2 court facility, which isn't even enough for your whole team to be on at once. They need one for practice and competition. Compared to the rest of the Big 12 the ISU facilities are embarrassing.

I get it. But who's paying for it? Do you want Matt Campbell, or a bigger tennis facility?

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Before they built that 2 court facility, they were playing by Forker or in Ames Racquet and Fitness. They spent 2 million dollars on that. ISU is in no position to be spending 10+ million for a competition level court at this time or in the near future.

Pretty much perfectly illustrates that neither the donors or the AD give a rip about the non-revenue sports, especially the women's sports. They'll shamelessly celebrate the occasional breakthrough success but they have no really interest in sustaining that other than in low cost no facilities sports like women's cross country. They are just a placeholder to meet NCAA requirements. Maybe that's the harsh realty of the budget and all, doesn't mean I have to like it.

This reminds me so much of the baseball at ISU argument. It's not just the AD or donors that don't care. You could spend 20 million dollars like Neb to build tennis facilities and you wouldn't get fans there. And if you don't get fans there, you aren't going to get the budget. That's just the facts of life.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Before they built that 2 court facility, they were playing by Forker or in Ames Racquet and Fitness. They spent 2 million dollars on that. ISU is in no position to be spending 10+ million for a competition level court at this time or in the near future.
Uh, they're still playing by Forker and at Ames Racquet and Fitness...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Uh, they're still playing by Forker and at Ames Racquet and Fitness...

Of course they are for competitions and probably for some practice. But merely 4 years ago they spent 2 million on practice facilities and they didn't have that then. If they didn't care about the program at all, they wouldn't have even spent that.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Of course they are for competitions and probably for some practice. But merely 4 years ago they spent 2 million on practice facilities and they didn't have that then. If they didn't care about the program at all, they wouldn't have even spent that.
No, you mean if ISU alum Bruce McKee hadn't "cared" about ISU tennis and come to Pollard and gave him $500,000 to start the project, and if Dickson Jensen hadn't given ISU a deal with the construction?
Without those two that building wouldn't even be there.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I get it. But who's paying for it? Do you want Matt Campbell, or a bigger tennis facility?

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

How did KU build an entire athletic complex that includes a tennis facility and still pay Bill Self? Probably because they financed it over decades. Now they host Pro, NCAA and Big 12 events.

Being a world class university means world class facilities. The new Ames High courts are 1000x nicer than the courts at Forker. That's a high school in Iowa, bro. Not a former world class research institution that is part a major collegiate athletic conference.

• Dumb

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

How did KU build an entire athletic complex that includes a tennis facility and still pay Bill Self? Probably because they financed it over decades. Now they host Pro, NCAA and Big 12 events.

Being a world class university means world class facilities. The new Ames High courts are 1000x nicer than the courts at Forker. That's a high school in Iowa, bro. Not a former world class research institution that is part a major collegiate athletic conference.

Feel free to compare Kansas' and our budget, bro. For 2019, $26 million in revenue difference, $21 million in contribution difference. That pays for a lot of tennis courts.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I understand a bit of pdxclone's sentiments. I used to be frustrated with the lack of Iowa home-grown representation on the women's golf teams.

However, the reality is, most of the top tier Iowa golfers don't want to play for ISU or can't compete at the top D1 level. They either go south and play year-round for top D1teams or they play more locally for mid-majors. There are exceptions, of course, but check out where the top Iowa girls HS golfers end up - not at P5 programs in the midwest.

So what's a coach to do? Settle for lower-caliber, Iowa golfers? Not if they want a competitive team. Instead, you go overseas. Those girls want to be here and can compete at the top level.

I have no doubt that a similar situation exists in tennis as well.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Feel free to compare Kansas' and our budget, bro. For 2019, $26 million in revenue difference, $21 million in contribution difference. That pays for a lot of tennis courts.

I just use them as an example that I am familiar with. All I was ever pointing out was that they will never keep the current Big 12 COY, if he isn't already gone, without a facility upgrade. I know nobody cares about Women's Tennis at ISU, but it seems pretty obvious that the majority of Big 12 schools care about it more than ISU does and that is reflected in their facilities.

• Dumb

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I just use them as an example that I am familiar with. All I was ever pointing out was that they will never keep the current Big 12 COY, if he isn't already gone, without a facility upgrade. I know nobody cares about Women's Tennis at ISU, but it seems pretty obvious that the majority of Big 12 schools care about it more than ISU does and that is reflected in their facilities.

The majority of Big 12 schools have more revenue and it’s reflected in their facilities.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron