ISU Tennis

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I bet no one would believe that ISU once hosted the NCAA tennis championships.
Yes that's ture. ISU hosted the 1961 NCAA Tennis Champions on Forker Courts (men's only, no women's championships were held until 1982).

Copied from Cyclones.com, here' how the ISU Tennis program uses its facilities.

The Cyclone tennis team has two facilities at its disposal. Conveniently located across the street from the Lied Recreation Athletic Center on central campus, the Forker Courts serve as the outdoor home of Cyclone tennis. When inclement weather moves matches and practices indoors, Iowa State utilizes Life Time Fitness in Urbandale, Iowa.

I agree it definitely needs an upgrade. I hope some rich tennis-loving donors can make a contribution. I myself love watching tennis and I have watched a lot of pro matches especially the grand slams. I'd really love to see ISU have a strong tennis program.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Naklo didn’t just beat 6th ranked in country, she did so easily.

What a fun ride. Looking forward, hope we keep Boomer.

Reactions: Macloney

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Yes that's ture. ISU hosted the 1961 NCAA Tennis Champions on Forker Courts (men's only, no women's championships were held until 1982).

Copied from Cyclones.com, here' how the ISU Tennis program uses its facilities.

The Cyclone tennis team has two facilities at its disposal. Conveniently located across the street from the Lied Recreation Athletic Center on central campus, the Forker Courts serve as the outdoor home of Cyclone tennis. When inclement weather moves matches and practices indoors, Iowa State utilizes Life Time Fitness in Urbandale, Iowa.

I agree it definitely needs an upgrade. I hope some rich tennis-loving donors can make a contribution. I myself love watching tennis and I have watched a lot of pro matches especially the grand slams. I'd really love to see ISU have a strong tennis program.
Actually, the courts that were used were located where Beyer was built in '63. I think there is still one left at the SE corner with a BB hoop.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Huge congratulations to our entire tennis program for the unprecedented success and achievement.

The official Big12 release.

Coach Saia led the No. 36-ranked Cyclones to their best season in program history finishing with a 14-8 mark overall and 4-4 in league play. The third-year head coach guided Iowa State to its first NCAA Championship appearance and tournament win as ISU knocked off No. 24 South Carolina in the opening round. The Coach of the Year honor is the first for Iowa State.

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Take a look at the tennis team roster and tell me the name of any American born player on this year's roster.

American tax payer dollars paying for American public universities. Foreign students/athletes are fine but taking all the scholarship money? It is not just tennis. The Kenyans get 90+% of the track money.
Jesus Christ try to hide your racism a little better.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Take a look at the tennis team roster and tell me the name of any American born player on this year's roster.

American tax payer dollars paying for American public universities. Foreign students/athletes are fine but taking all the scholarship money? It is not just tennis. The Kenyans get 90+% of the track money.

These are international sports and you sound like a mouthbreathing idiot.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

**** it, why are we giving non-iowans any scholarship money at all? Screw all other countries and the 49 states while we are at it.

JFC, some people.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Didn't expect anything different from you. You don't even know what racism is.

People can't choose where they are born just like they can't choose the color of their skin. Discriminating against someone on the basis of something they have zero control over is the same character flaw regardless the adjective.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

those foreign born athletes have brought more pride to Iowa State than you ever will.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

You're a ******* clown.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I can only speak about KU Tennis because that is the program I am most familiar with, but once they went majority international they started to compete on a national level. This isn't a new concept and it isn't something that other programs don't do.

There are only so many good tennis players in the US and unfortunately right now there aren't even close to enough to fill out major conference rosters.

And if ISU fielded a tennis team with only Iowans the only points they would score would be on double faults. They wouldn't win a single game, let alone a set.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If they can get two donors to donate the $10M for the football bridge, one would think they could get a donor for a new tennis facility...

One can hope.

Pretty much perfectly illustrates that neither the donors or the AD give a rip about the non-revenue sports, especially the women's sports. They'll shamelessly celebrate the occasional breakthrough success but they have no really interest in sustaining that other than in low cost no facilities sports like women's cross country. They are just a placeholder to meet NCAA requirements. Maybe that's the harsh realty of the budget and all, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron