ISU Passing yards per completion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Is currently, #119 in the nation at 10.10 average. I understand Hunter does a lot of checking down at times, but given our QB and skills position players, I'm surprised this is so low. I think some of this is on Tom Manning as well. During the Baylor game, when we went downfield the success rate was really good. Again, just thought this was interesting.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I have been surprised we haven't taken hardly any deep shots this year. We seem to do ok with them and it seems like the defense has been sitting on our shorter routes and giving us issues in our shorter passing game and running game.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My understanding has always been that yards per attempt (YPA) is the better stat in terms of importance. I think YPA is the stat most correlated with winning, other than turnover margin.

I get you have to attack all parts of the field, but this obsession with "gotta throw it deep more" is kind of weird. I don't disagree, a couple deep shots can make a difference loosening up safeties in the run game. But it isn't some magic elixir.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have been surprised we haven't taken hardly any deep shots this year. We seem to do ok with them and it seems like the defense has been sitting on our shorter routes and giving us issues in our shorter passing game and running game.
He had one in the Ohio game and just overshot Noel. Jaylin had his guy and the safety beat.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm not worried, but everybody in the offseason said we'd be going downfield more with Dekkers. And that was the big knock on Purdy, his lack of arm strength.

It's also the kid's 6th game he's really played in. :shrug:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There are good reasons why it's low (slow the game, take safe routes, etc) and bad reasons (too conservative, lack of separation by WRs, etc).

I think we have a mix of the two categories, but I do think we'll have to play more downfield the deeper we get into the season. The biggest problem I've seen is that we don't get much WR separation and it causes a lot of check downs. We either don't have the speed or aren't running effective routes - I think it's more the former than the latter.

But, that also means it hurts our run game, which is fairly low in the rankings right now as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There’s very little risk involved in throwing downfield. We’re dumb not to do it more.

Even Iowa does it more than we do.

It’s no wonder we can’t run the ball.
The longer the QB hangs on to the ball the higher the risk. It takes time for effective longer routes to develop. I suppose we could try lining up a couple of our receivers 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. Maybe that would work.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I've been really frustrated by our lack of downfield targets. It looks like we haven't adjusted for our personnel this year. It made sense with Purdy's arm and our TE being our best receiver. Hoping to see our average depth of target increase in the coming weeks, that will help the running game too.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That stat shocks me. But as others have mentioned, I tend to focus on yards per attempt as it takes into account a QB's completion %. I checked that stat and ISU is averaging 7.22 ypa, which ranks 88th among 131 teams.

It could be an area of concern, but pretty small sample size and non-con data can distort based on level of competition.

Some people voice concern over Dekkers interceptions so far. He has 5 over 4 games. Hopefully, some of that is learning curve for a young QB who may be overconfident in his ability to complete passes into tight windows. And one interception last week against Baylor was less Dekkers making a bad pass vs. a solid hit by a Baylor defender. After all he also has 10 TD passes.

I think we are seeing some differences between Purdy & Dekkers. Purdy completed a lot of 10-15 yards passes between the hash marks. Haven't really seen that out of Dekkers. Could be a function of Purdy's comfort level with Kolar & Allen.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The longer the QB hangs on to the ball the higher the risk. It takes time for effective longer routes to develop. I suppose we could try lining up a couple of our receivers 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. Maybe that would work.
It does take longer, but our pass protection has been solid for the most part. The short passes also get more risky when the other team has all 11 guys playing within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage because every receiver is running a 5-10 yard route.

I'd take 3 deep shots to Hutchinson a game at minimum. Any time he's single covered throw it up to him. Good offenses do this constantly. Low interception risk and even if it is picked off there's a good chance of an immediate tackle so it turns into a punt. Decent chance at either a catch or a P.I. If Hutchinson is doubled all game then use Shaw. If nothing else it softens them up a little.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It does take longer, but our pass protection has been solid for the most part. The short passes also get more risky when the other team has all 11 guys playing within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage because every receiver is running a 5-10 yard route.

I'd take 3 deep shots to Hutchinson a game at minimum. Any time he's single covered throw it up to him. Good offenses do this constantly. Low interception risk and even if it is picked off there's a good chance of an immediate tackle so it turns into a punt. Decent chance at either a catch or a P.I. If Hutchinson is doubled all game then use Shaw. If nothing else it softens them up a little.
Agree. We seem to like to use our pass game to help our run game out (backwards of most teams but could be effective), but that doesn't work when you're running 5-10 yard routes. If anything, you're hurting both passing and running.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This topic is the exact reason I started a thread last week asking about how good our offense actually is. We are a side-to-side offense right now. A lot of screens, a lot of slants, and a lot of quick outs with Hunter checking down early and often. The results have been fine, we are 3-1 after all, but there are some red flags within the offense if you look hard enough. Hunter's release is really bad at times, which further complicates things.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
SEMO, Iowa, and Ohio played a shell defense with two high safeties. There's no reason to force a deep ball against those schemes. When you see more man to man (like the Baylor) the opportunities to push the ball up the field will be there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I agree that mixing it up is advantageous. However, I think it is inaccurate to say that "there is very little risk in throwing downfield" as the post I replied to suggested. The risk increases when you throw it down field. Sometimes that risk is justified but there is still risk. There is risk of pressure getting to the QB resulting in a sack, fumble or errant pass. There is risk of the longer pass being off target resulting in an incompletion or interception. There is risk of penalties when the O line has to hold their blocks longer.

• Agree