ISU - coaches graveyard 2.0

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I believe it was JIm Walden that coined the term "coaches graveyard" at Ames . However, I think ISU has a good history of ex-coaches who moved forward and became champions: Pop Warner (4 NC), Johnny Majors (1 NC), Pete Carroll (2 NC, 1 Super Bowl), Jimmy Johnson (2 NC, 2 Super Bowls), Mack Brown (1 NC), Gene Chizik (1 NC), and Earl Bruce (1 point loss in NC).

Now, with Matt Campbell, we are the coaches graveyard for opponents. (2018) Akron - Terry Bowden fired 9 weeks after losing to ISU, TTU - Kliff Kinsbury fired 4 weeks after losing to ISU, KU - David Beatty fired 1 day after losing to ISU, KSU - Bill Snyder forced to resign 1 week after losing to ISU, WVU - Dana Holgersen resigns and takes lesser job 2 months after losing to ISU. Next on the ISU early retirement list - Tom Herman. RIP.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I believe it was JIm Walden that coined the term "coaches graveyard" at Ames . However, I think ISU has a good history of ex-coaches who moved forward and became champions: Pop Warner (4 NC), Johnny Majors (1 NC), Pete Carroll (2 NC, 1 Super Bowl), Jimmy Johnson (2 NC, 2 Super Bowls), Mack Brown (1 NC), Gene Chizik (1 NC), and Earl Bruce (1 point loss in NC).

Now, with Matt Campbell, we are the coaches graveyard for opponents. (2018) Akron - Terry Bowden fired 9 weeks after losing to ISU, TTU - Kliff Kinsbury fired 4 weeks after losing to ISU, KU - David Beatty fired 1 day after losing to ISU, KSU - Bill Snyder forced to resign 1 week after losing to ISU, WVU - Dana Holgersen resigns and takes lesser job 2 months after losing to ISU. Next on the ISU early retirement list - Tom Herman. RIP.
Whar the raisin man?

Reactions: dualthreat

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Almost zero of your heralded ISU football coaching history would be associated to the cyclones by even cyclone fans.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
It’s hard for me to wrap my head around Pete Carroll living in Ames and coaching at ISU, in any capacity, at all.
Same goes for Mack Brown. But I have to think any program you pick, chances are it had several assistants go through who eventually won a natty

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
So glad we didn't hire Harbaugh.....could you imagine that elephant-man-thing mask he wears in cardinal and gold with that dorito logo on it?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
So glad we didn't hire Harbaugh.....could you imagine that elephant-man-thing mask he wears in cardinal and gold with that dorito logo on it?

met have got lucky on some non hires

harbaugh
Greg Marshall in basketball

wewent after Brian Kelly who is a great coach but would have left after 2 or three years

• Agree
Reactions: dirtyninety

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Same goes for Mack Brown. But I have to think any program you pick, chances are it had several assistants go through who eventually won a natty

I can picture Mack Brown at the Tip Top eating an egg.....not a stretch. Pete Carroll....no. Pete would constantly be ******** about how far away the airport is and picking up Tri-Delts at Beamers.

• Haha
Reactions: TXCyclones

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Yeah I agree, I posted about Pete more from a personality standpoint than success standpoint.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
A big Cyclone booster I know told me he was acquaintances with Jimmy and Johnny when they were here.

bradcyclone

Jan 25, 2009
Bob Stoops retired from OU after their closest game he had against Iowa State, he must have known what Iowa State could be with CMC as Lincoln Riley is 2-2!

• Creative
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron