Is Fan Engagement a Problem?

ironsam

Nov 20, 2009
The crowd did get loud, but these 8 pm weeknight games...we've had a lot of them. What percentage of people in attendance normally go to bed around 9 or 10? How many people don't come because they know they'll be up too late?

Hard to fight that circadian rhythm, especially when mixed with spotty offense, frequent foul calls, and the Ambien of sports: official reviews.

Reactions: aauummm

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I know there’s always going to be that crowd that swears “back in my day fans at Hilton were loud no matter what the score was!” but you can’t deny that something about the team fundamentally changed after the loss to Texas Tech. After that game it really felt like no lead was safe and the team caught a nasty case of the offensive yips.

Either that or they’re gassed by their intense defensive effort. That’s going to put a number on any team with the depth we have right now. Especially in a league like the Big 12 where… let’s face it… you can make a case for the tournament for ANY team in the conference right now.

Let’s hope the NCAA tournament is where all this effort by them pays off. I would love nothing more than to see them prove the doubters wrong and get to the Sweet 16 again.

Reactions: NWICY

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I had a guy in my office complain about lack of crowd noise on the tv, I told him it wasn't like that at the game. I thought they were boisterous and plenty loud. ESPN must mute it or something

Reactions: aauummm

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Sounded great on TV until that weird flagrant and technical foul situation just deflated the atmosphere and the team didn't really give them much to cheer about after that. That 3 that the random guy threw up and swished after their tech FTs really sucked
Yeah, Fans at home probably knew what was going on more than those at the game. Refs kept going to review table, grabbing monitors, back out on the floor; only to have one call the other one or two back to the monitors. it was like none could make a decision without complete agreement of the others. It was a cluster f**k, then the announcer had the fans cheering; only to be booing when WVA was awarded the ball after all the foul line BS. So it was like yea!!!!!, WTF Jazz missed his shot and WVA made two and got the ball!!!! What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I mean if it's 1990 I want some C+C Music Factory up in here!

On my command now hit the dance floor
It's gonna make you sweat 'til you bleed
Is that dope enough?

Indeed
House of pain is still played. Then back to the 80s with don’t stop believing’ and living on a prayer. Tom Petty won’t back down also.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah, Fans at home probably knew what was going on more than those at the game. Refs kept going to review table, grabbing monitors, back out on the floor; only to have one call the other one or two back to the monitors. it was like none could make a decision without complete agreement of the others. It was a cluster f**k, then the announcer had the fans cheering; only to be booing when WVA was awarded the ball after all the foul line BS. So it was like yea!!!!!, WTF Jazz missed his shot and WVA made two and got the ball!!!! What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right away I knew ISU was in trouble when they kept going back to the monitor. It never ends well for ISU when officials do that.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Right away I knew ISU was in trouble when they kept going back to the monitor. It never ends well for ISU when officials do that.
That official crew was over paid and beyond their level of competence, hope I never see them in Hilton again!

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Hell, one official took a secondary monitor and held it up cuse it was not supported on the ledge of the scorers table. Total BS, JP ought to be on this one!

Edit: Does one monitor show different than the other? It is no wonder the crowd at the game was confused, then the way the game went after, kinda took us out of the emotional state and hoping we could get a bucket or a free throw, didn't happen until Gabe hit that three, but it was too late!

EDIT: I will say, had we hit free throws, this drama probably would have not mattered!

Last edited:

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Why would anyone get excited about watching this product on the court right now?
The least excited I’ve been since the two win season. If you exclude the two wins season, you have to go all the way back to McDoormat.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Being at the game I was disappointed in the late game crowd. I've been to every conference game except OU because my son had soccer at 11 (tip time) and I'm the coach. OSU game was the only worse crowd for conference season but that game was terrible and had little to cheer for from the team's performance. Crowd was still good vs WVU but could have had a bigger impact late game and it was pretty silent.

Not much reaction to those 4 bs free FT's Touissant got late...couldn't help but feel like the fans were expecting to lose...

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Our offense consistently goes 4-5 possessions between made baskets. That just sucks the life out of any arena.
This is always my callout. Fans get excited when teams string multiple big plays together and build something. We've rarely done that over the last month or so. We actually did do that for a while last night, until it all fell apart again...but the crowd engagement was there when it was happening. One of the better/louder crowds we've had recently. We don't play an overly exciting brand of ball, so we really depend on some good streaks.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Anyone watching the KU-Tech game? The timeout a bit ago they had the music blasting and the crowd was going bananas. We would have filled that timeout with some sort of slow ballad by the band.
We’ve got to have a better performance out of our game ops with recognizing time and situation