Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2023

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You can tell when people haven't played or coached sports. I haven't done either at a high level but I've done both enough to know (especially in bball) **** happens. You're never going to be perfect. Even when you have perfect position a rebound can bounce wrong or someone can hit a tough shot over a defense.
But obviously they play a lot of Madden. So that's just like coaching.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
You can tell when people haven't played or coached sports. I haven't done either at a high level but I've done both enough to know (especially in bball) **** happens. You're never going to be perfect. Even when you have perfect position a rebound can bounce wrong or someone can hit a tough shot over a defense.
im a coach i know ball

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Here is an interesting question for Cyclone Nation: If TJ would have had Nowell and Johnson on the team, would ISU made the sweet 16 or further? I say yes. Good players make coaches look good. So, is Tang THAT much better than TJ? Or did those 2 players make it appear that way?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Here is an interesting question for Cyclone Nation: If TJ would have had Nowell and Johnson on the team, would ISU made the sweet 16 or further? I say yes. Good players make coaches look good. So, is Tang THAT much better than TJ? Or did those 2 players make it appear that way?

College basketball is mostly recruiting with some coaching.

College football is mostly coaching with some recruiting.

I'm exaggerating but the two sports have different emphases.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I'm exaggerating but the two sports have different emp
Seems to me coaching is just as important as players. A good coach can meld the great recruits into one cohesive team, a good coach has a system that executes even in crunch time and a good coach has a feel for the game.

There are a lot of coaches who strike gold for a few seasons, not many coaches are elite over their career.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's year to year. I think this year's team was better than last year's team yet won less games overall and obviously didn't make it as far in the NCAA Tournament. Both this year's team and last year's team were honestly a lot less talented than the team Tang just coached.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's year to year. I think this year's team was better than last year's team yet won less games overall and obviously didn't make it as far in the NCAA Tournament. Both this year's team and last year's team were honestly a lot less talented than the team Tang just coached.
Will be interesting to see KSU next year without Nowell. Tang is a good coach and they had a solid squad but he made that team go. They almost lost the game against Michigan State when he went down for a few minutes

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Them doctors and lawyers have all kind of money, plus Creighton owns a lot of OmHa from CHI arena to the university .
You left off Nebraska Furniture Mart/ Berckshire Hathaway.

Edit: stock is a little down, only $457,820/share
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

loyalson4evatru

Feb 14, 2016
Will be interesting to see KSU next year without Nowell. Tang is a good coach and they had a solid squad but he made that team go. They almost lost the game against Michigan State when he went down for a few minutes
they lose 90% of their scoring and even best guy that could return Tomlin seems like transfer candidate to a big time program or tries to go pro.

it's year to year in these current times. have to rebuild entire rosters often. we'll see if Tang can get a couple more big time transfers. it's no guarantee year to year and Nowell/Johnson will be almost impossible to replace. i'd expect a big step back for them next year more like a bubble team.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
He hasn't given a formal announcement, so I held his name off. Tre King and BRE have both stated or had someone state they will return.

Did Tre say he was coming back? Hadn't seen anything and was wondering...

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Im not getting excited about anyone until we are in their final 3. not their grocery list of everyone that has contacted them.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I'm exaggerating but the two sports have different emphases.
Disagree

In every sport recruiting is #1. You cannot win anything without players. In basketball one guy can make a program, football takes more

No coincidence that our recent football “success” coincides with the most guys in the nfl that we have had in years.

True basketball can be more 1:1, and football requires better (more coordinated) coaching.