Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
surprised more small breweries haven't been closed since covid.

It's not even just Covid. I've heard cans are getting more expensive (and hard to find). Same with some hops, yeast strains, etc. I think we'll see a few more closures in the coming months.

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Thew Brewing announced today that they're closing.
I haven’t tried very many but the few beers of theirs that I did were not very impressive. Lion Bridge, Iowa Brewing and Clock House are all better in my opinion and all in the same area not to mention Big Grove in Solon just twenty minutes away so it’s not a big surprise to me.

Reactions: scyclonekid

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Sorry to hear about Thew for the owners/workers, however I was very unimpressed with them, in both their beer tastes and their taproom. I’d easily rank them dead-last in eastern Iowa for microbreweries.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Waterloo-based Single Speed Brewing is looking to come to DSM and is intending to renovate the existing building at 303 Scott Avenue, which is currently home to Earl's Tire. This brewery will be situated right on the recreational trail that goes to Easter Lake and will have a front door to the water trails Scott Avenue Dam site.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Waterloo-based Single Speed Brewing is looking to come to DSM and is intending to renovate the existing building at 303 Scott Avenue, which is currently home to Earl's Tire. This brewery will be situated right on the recreational trail that goes to Easter Lake and will have a front door to the water trails Scott Avenue Dam site.

Madhouse Brewing had to close down almost next door to there. Hopefully Single Speed doesn't have the same fate.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Madhouse Brewing had to close down almost next door to there. Hopefully Single Speed doesn't have the same fate.

Was that why they closed? I always liked their core beers and some of their more experimental ones were really good.

I always wondered if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, as far as the beer world's tastes went. But maybe it was mire literal than that?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Was that why they closed? I always liked their core beers and some of their more experimental ones were really good.

I always wondered if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, as far as the beer world's tastes went. But maybe it was mire literal than that?

I thought I heard they closed because the owner/brewer didn't want to make beer anymore. The family also owns Jasper Winery.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and baller21

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I thought I heard they closed because the owner/brewer didn't want to make beer anymore. The family also owns Jasper Winery.
Yeah I’m pretty sure they weren’t as into beer and wanted to concentrate on the wine making.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Kind of surprised we haven’t heard a thing about the new TG. It’s been around 8 months since they announced coming to DM.

• Agree
Reactions: dmclone

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

Single Speed is rapidly moving up on my favorites list. They are cranking out a lot of really solid brews.

Reactions: Messi

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
New Single Speed location has some nice views of downtown DsM across the river to the west. Should provide for a nice patio. Also near bike trail system.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
The new DSM location looked like it would be solid for a summer location if there was a patio or garage door open area, especially if you were going to a baseball game as it's really close to Principal Park.

I'm not a big fan of SS in general, however -- they really haven't figured out how to do IPAs very well in general. They're OK and have gotten better, but so many other breweries are so much better at IPAs IMO that I don't find myself picking SS in the store. They offer good beer, solid beer, but others are consistently better.

They do have a sweet location in downtown Waterloo; restored and converted an old Wonder Bread/Hostess factory into a large open-air space with food offering and their main taproom. Great place to hang out.