Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Just had Weldwerks at El Bait. Happy they are here
Weldwerks is a great brewery. Got a couple cans of Juicy Bits in my beer fridge right now. Might need to crack one open soon.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Went to Kinship Brewery in Waukee the other day and not sure what that rave is about that place as have seen some friends post about it on social media. They have a nice facility that your GPS will probably take you on an adventure to get to as its off the beaten path as it basically in the middle of nowhere. The beers were nothing special IMO. Don't see a return visit in our future.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well Timbukbru is expanding into Iowa Falls along with their 1st brewery in Clarion.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Went to Kinship Brewery in Waukee the other day and not sure what that rave is about that place as have seen some friends post about it on social media. They have a nice facility that your GPS will probably take you on an adventure to get to as its off the beaten path as it basically in the middle of nowhere. The beers were nothing special IMO. Don't see a return visit in our future.
It amazes me that an unproven brewery comes along and builds one of the biggest in the metro.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

The current jaunt through the neighborhood is weird but I know Kinship wanted to be off the bike path (smart) and there is allegedly future plans for a road cutting south the Hickman
9B24569C-8EF9-455B-A8A3-0246AB609C47.png

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

I wouldn’t say a couple blocks off of Hickman in waukee is the middle of nowhere. It’s a new development area not far from the new waukee high school and tons of new houses being built there. It’s also right next to the Raccoon River Valley Trail so they’ll have tons of bikers stopping in the summer.

Their facility is probably one of the nicest I’ve been too. Decent sized taproom and large outdoor patio. Also has a dog park which is a big draw for dog owners. They usually have a food truck there with decent pizza and apps

The beer isn’t going to knock your socks off but they have some decent ones that appeal to the masses. Bottom line is they will do very well with their setup.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I wouldn’t say a couple blocks off of Hickman in waukee is the middle of nowhere. It’s a new development area not far from the new waukee high school and tons of new houses being built there. It’s also right next to the Raccoon River Valley Trail so they’ll have tons of bikers stopping in the summer.

Their facility is probably one of the nicest I’ve been too. Decent sized taproom and large outdoor patio. Also has a dog park which is a big draw for dog owners. They usually have a food truck there with decent pizza and apps

The beer isn’t going to knock your socks off but they have some decent ones that appeal to the masses. Bottom line is they will do very well with their setup.

They definitely built it in a place that is going to see some development around it but Google Maps sure took us on an interesting route to get there as the finally turns don't exactly match up with the street you need to go on to get to it. Building is nice but was not impressed with the beers so likely will not be making a return trip there anytime soon. I can see it being a draw for the dog park folks as well as bikers being right off the trail but for someone who does not live in Waukee it's not a place I see myself making a special trip to right now.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
They definitely built it in a place that is going to see some development around it but Google Maps sure took us on an interesting route to get there as the finally turns don't exactly match up with the street you need to go on to get to it. Building is nice but was not impressed with the beers so likely will not be making a return trip there anytime soon. I can see it being a draw for the dog park folks as well as bikers being right off the trail but for someone who does not live in Waukee it's not a place I see myself making a special trip to right now.

I agree that the beer alone won’t be pulling in many people from out of town but I’d give them another try after they get everything settled in and start brewing more.

Last time I was there they had a lager with ginger and lemongrass that was pretty tasty. A really good easy drinking summer beer.

Reactions: Messi

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I agree that the beer alone won’t be pulling in many people from out of town but I’d give them another try after they get everything settled in and start brewing more.

Last time I was there they had a lager with ginger and lemongrass that was pretty tasty. A really good easy drinking summer beer.

I didn't like a single Lion's Bridge beer when they opened. Fast forward to now and they do every style really well. It's probably been 7 years but there is something to be said about getting settled in to a large scale operation.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Similar to Nader's experience with Lion's Bridge, I didn't like anything from Barn Town when they first opened. But once they got rolling, they really amped everything up. It's key to give these places time to find their rhythm and their strengths.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and baller21

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Mine was PIVO in Calmar. First couple times there I was not impressed with anything they had but stopped in on a recent trip to Decorah and found at least four beers I really liked. Brewers are always tweaking things to improve their beers.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Some do change, while others never do. Fox, twisted vine, 1717, etc really struggle just making one good beer.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Some do change, while others never do. Fox, twisted vine, 1717, etc really struggle just making one good beer.

This is fair. Some never do quite find their groove/niche. I try to give breweries a few chances before I decide they're not for me.