Indoor Dog and Flooring

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Thanks again for all the help, it is appreciated!

I think it is time to start dog shopping!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Thanks again for all the help, it is appreciated!

I think it is time to start dog shopping!

Go to a pound/animal center.
We rescued ours from a no-kill. Life wouldn't be the same without him.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
Go to a pound/animal center.
We rescued ours from a no-kill. Life wouldn't be the same without him.

Great advice. I second this. All our animals are rescue animals. Might as well be part of the solution, and not the problem.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
we have refinished the original hardwood oak floors in 2 pre-1930 houses. each time the dog (70lbs boxer) has marked them up a bit but we don't notice and don't care. the floors have enough other blemishes and they look like refinished old floors.

our 3 kids probably do just as much damage as the dog has.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
We've had three big dogs over the years with carpet, laminate and ceramic tile. No scratches whatsoever. Wish the lawn was as durable! Just pee stains on carpet that are a bear to get out. (They've all been my wife's dogs, so usually her responsibility.)

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Our friends have an active dog, and builder grade laminate. And their floors will have to be replaced when they sell.

Maybe my buddy walks around with his golf cleats on or something :twitcy:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Stafford_bull_terrier_dog_statue.JPG

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Our dogs (two brits & a sharpei) didn't do near as much damage to the flooring, furniture & carpet as the teenaged boys did. Maybe I should have kept the dogs & got rid of the boys?

:pconfused:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
we have refinished the original hardwood oak floors in 2 pre-1930 houses. each time the dog (70lbs boxer) has marked them up a bit but we don't notice and don't care. the floors have enough other blemishes and they look like refinished old floors.

our 3 kids probably do just as much damage as the dog has.

Great point. Good to remember that it is a floor after all, and is supposed to be lived on.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I would like to add that ours would've been kept up better had we taken better care of our dogs claws. That helps tremendously. As well, make sure you get a really good vacuum. the pet version of the dyson is probably the best around.

Yeah, but what I've found is that freshly trimmed claws = sharper claws = better at leaving scratch marks, especially as they struggle to gain footing on hard floors. We trim our lab's as often as necessary for her health, but wouldn't want to overclip just to save the floors. Totally agree with you on the Dyson vacuum, guy is a beast...

Help Support Us

Become a patron