Impossible Burger

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Anyone tried the new impossible whopper yet? Or is it even out?

My wife tried it and said it was delicious, because it was a Whopper.

She has had Impossible Burgers before and thinks they are just okay. She is not a vegetarian or vegan, but had a chance to try the Impossible Burger early just because it was there.

I have tried one bite, it tasted like a cafeteria burger. Not bad, but not great.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
My wife tried it and said it was delicious, because it was a Whopper.

She has had Impossible Burgers before and thinks they are just okay. She is not a vegetarian or vegan, but had a chance to try the Impossible Burger early just because it was there.

I have tried one bite, it tasted like a cafeteria burger. Not bad, but not great.

I always said those can’t be real when I was in high school. Maybe schools created the “impossible” burger

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: NWICY and Macloney

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Tried the impossible burger at Brick City last night. Very impressed.
I tried out an Impossible Whopper yesterday. Honestly, the most remarkable thing about it is how unremarkable it is. Virtually indistinguishable from the beef counterpart. It's burger king, so it's not like anything you get there is going to be super high quality. But it tasted like a Whopper. I'd guess that if you handed one of these to a hundred people, and told them it was beef, 90 percent of them would have no idea that it wasn't. It tastes like a fast food hamburger.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Now Aramark has a deal with Beyond Meat.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/beyond-meat-menus-ballparks-hospitals-schools-aramark

How long before some school/hospital/industrial cafeteria serves it without telling people?

Could be problematic if they did/tried for similar reasons they wouldn't serve peanuts in something without making it crystal clear they were an ingredient. Some people have negative reactions to certain natural toxins that some plants produce as a self defense mechanism.

Wouldn't be wise.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Could be problematic if they did/tried for similar reasons they wouldn't serve peanuts in something without making it crystal clear they were an ingredient. Some people have negative reactions to certain natural toxins that some plants produce as a self defense mechanism.

Wouldn't be wise.
Not wise, no, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen at some point.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I tried out an Impossible Whopper yesterday. Honestly, the most remarkable thing about it is how unremarkable it is. Virtually indistinguishable from the beef counterpart. It's burger king, so it's not like anything you get there is going to be super high quality. But it tasted like a Whopper. I'd guess that if you handed one of these to a hundred people, and told them it was beef, 90 percent of them would have no idea that it wasn't. It tastes like a fast food hamburger.

Take the burger out of the whopper. Does the the Whopper still taste like the Whopper with out the patty? Seems like they overpower burgers with condiments like lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ketchup, mustard, and mayo these days.

I did some 80/20 ground beef patties on my smoker the other day and they tasted way better than if I had put them on the gas grill. Would be interesting to see what the taste of an impossible burger would be like if done on a smoker.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Anyone tried the new impossible whopper yet? Or is it even out?
The "meat" portion taste slightly different. The rest of the Whopper makes it taste like a Whopper. I wouldn't buy it again because it cost more than a real Whopper.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Take the burger out of the whopper. Does the the Whopper still taste like the Whopper with out the patty? Seems like they overpower burgers with condiments like lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ketchup, mustard, and mayo these days.

I did some 80/20 ground beef patties on my smoker the other day and they tasted way better than if I had put them on the gas grill. Would be interesting to see what the taste of an impossible burger would be like if done on a smoker.
For the record, I don't think that these "Alt-Meat" products are ever going to challenge the home grill, or even at places like 5 guys and similar places. It's the fast food/cafeteria places where it's going to make the biggest impact. Places where the quality of the burger is already suspect. Nobody is holding up the McDonald's cheeseburger as the paragon of hamburger quality, to begin with, so a switch to a meat alternative is going to be less noticable than it would be at a place that specialized in burgers. Also, I read somewhere that something like 60% of the beef in this country is consumed in ground beef form. Alt-Meat could easily carve out a very sustainable chunk of that market. It's not the death knell of the meat industry that some folks on either side of this debate are warning about. There's room at the table for everyone here, in my opinion

Reactions: cyfanatic

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
For the record, I don't think that these "Alt-Meat" products are ever going to challenge the home grill, or even at places like 5 guys and similar places. There's room at the table for everyone here, in my opinion

From CW.......(Chemistry World):

"Impossible Foods, the people behind the patty being used in Burger King's new vegan Whopper. A silicon valley startup founded in 2011 by a former Stanford University biochemist, Impossible Foods goal is ambitious: they say they want to eliminate the animal farming industry by 2035."

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
From CW.......(Chemistry World):

"Impossible Foods, the people behind the patty being used in Burger King's new vegan Whopper. A silicon valley startup founded in 2011 by a former Stanford University biochemist, Impossible Foods goal is ambitious: they say they want to eliminate the animal farming industry by 2035."
Oh don't get me wrong, they might want to do that, but I don't think there's even a remote chance of that happening.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Oh don't get me wrong, they might want to do that, but I don't think there's even a remote chance of that happening.

I have had the Morningside and Boca burgers.....they are good. I don't remember either companies ever stated it was their goal to eliminate the meat industry. I think they just found a niche(vegan) in which to take advantage of and make some money. Nothing wrong with that like as you said....."there is room at the table for everyone". And just based upon that CW article it would seem the goal of this company isn't that benign. As for there not being even a remote chance...I would put up a picture of AOC smiling and waving to back that up.......but I don't want this going to the cave.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron