Illinois matchup

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
but that 6th best team in the A10 beat the one team in the Big 12 that many feel is ISUs kryptonite. Then Illinois went on to destroy them, so that is concerning.
Not really. Duquense put their eggs into one basket and took advantage of a bad shooting day by BYU.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
All I know is if both ISU and Illinois play the way they did yesterday, Illinois will beat us.
I’m going with Jay Wright’s contention that if you have a tourney game with a bad, slow start—you put it behind you and it propels a team to really play well the rest of the way.
TJ will have them ready for the Illini.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Not really. Duquense put their eggs into one basket and took advantage of a bad shooting day by BYU.
Yeah, we all knew that byu was a live by the 3 die by the 3 team. If they are hitting, they can beat anyone. If they are off, they will try to shoot their way out of it and probably lose.

Oct 30, 2023
Since the late 80's early 90's Illinois has had issues locking down Chicago talent for some reason, minus the 2005 team. If they locked down Chicago they would contend every year.
My freshman year at illinois was bruce webers first year. He did a great job with his first three teams but did not stack the cupboard at all.

The amount of angst in the program a lot of it brought by him, was extraordinary. There was a lot of atrophy, leading up to Bruce getting canned and Groce never doing anything. We're extraordinarily lucky that we have a guy who knows how to play the game and build a roster with high turnover in 2024. A lot of calm over the future that is further helped by finally getting this Sweet 16 curse over

My first game in Hilton was vs K State in Webers last year. Man I did not miss his sideline demeanor

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My freshman year at illinois was bruce webers first year. He did a great job with his first three teams but did not stack the cupboard at all.

The amount of angst in the program a lot of it brought by him, was extraordinary. There was a lot of atrophy, leading up to Bruce getting canned and Groce never doing anything. We're extraordinarily lucky that we have a guy who knows how to play the game and build a roster with high turnover in 2024. A lot of calm over the future that is further helped by finally getting this Sweet 16 curse over

My first game in Hilton was vs K State in Webers last year. Man I did not miss his sideline demeanor

Groce was a joke, along with Tim Beckman. Thank god Mike Williams? the Ad got canned.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Illinois scares the bejeebers outta me.
They're very, very good, and we need to bring our "A" game, no doubt, but let's be honest here.

Every single f*cking team we play "scares the bejeebers" out of you.

And whether you're serious about it or just being a troll I have never seen anyone pick against us as much as you do.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I thought I saw someone say that one of Illinois's top "Similar Profile" comparisons on Barttorvik was 2016 Iowa State. Maybe it was before the Duquesne game, or maybe that poster was looking at something different than what I looked at. Regardless, check out their most similar efficiency and play style profiles and note with program shows up the most.
(LINK)

View attachment 126241

For some comparison, here are Iowa State's top comps:
View attachment 126242
That's one hell of a grouping for ISU comps

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
They're very, very good, and we need to bring our "A" game, no doubt, but let's be honest here.

Every single f*cking team we play "scares the bejeebers" out of you.

And whether you're serious about it or just being a troll I have never seen anyone pick against us as much as you do.

Hey now, I'm not picking against us, but we got our work cut out for us. Agree, we need to bring our "A" game we had against Houston.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Shannon is the real deal and he is playing well, Illinois has good size, and can move the ball well. Defense at times is an afterthought, but when they are hitting their shots, they are as good as anyone in the country.
They're a lot like Baylor. In the analytics Baylor and Illinois mirror each other both in offensive and defensive efficiency. Both teams are elite in scoring. Illinois' D is awful while Baylor's is just pretty bad.

But I can guarantee all the talk this week will be how ISU hasn't faced an offense like Illinois', blah, blah, blah. And guarantee no one picks us to win as well.

Illinois' lack of a true PG could be really problematic for them in this one. With our pressure, guards have to be able to handle and pass the ball really well.

I think we'll force a ton of turnovers in this one and get our usual points off TO's too. I like our chances.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
but that 6th best team in the A10 beat the one team in the Big 12 that many feel is ISUs kryptonite. Then Illinois went on to destroy them, so that is concerning.
I’m not saying Illinois is not good. I just don’t by into this three degree transitive property stuff. Basketball is about match ups. Anyone can lose in the dance.

If you want to apply this transitive principle then UConn lost to Seton Hall who lost to Iowa then Iowa would beat UConn. It just doesn’t work this way.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Just browsing the news and sport sites yesterday and this morning, Iowa State is a complete after-thought. Playing up the other 2 seeds and even NC state, but little to no mention of ISU. Here's hoping they blow out Illinois and make a statement.
Chip will be firmly on our shoulder.

It's been surprising to me how little respect we've gotten in the post season. I mean during Big XII play, the announcers for our games were always very complimentary, and rightfully so.

Then we go from that to a screw job seeding/region and stuff like Candace Parker not even pronouncing TJ's last name right.

It's all good. We'll just keep proving the doubters wrong.

Reactions: exCYtable

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Illinois only top 25 win of the year was an 8 point win against a #23 Wisconsin team that got flushed from the NCAA tournament by 11 points by...James Madison. I'm not sure you should even count it.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Illinois only top 25 win of the year was an 8 point win against a #23 Wisconsin team that got flushed from the NCAA tournament by 11 points by...James Madison. I'm not sure you should even count it.
If you mean AP Top 25, I think their one win there was against FAU back on January. Badgers weren't ranked when Illinois beat them. Their only Big 10 games against ranked teams were both against Purdue.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If you mean AP Top 25, I think their one win there was against FAU back on January. Badgers weren't ranked when Illinois beat them. Their only Big 10 games against ranked teams were both against Purdue.
IDK, I just googled "Illinois basketball schedule" and that's what it said. Would they show that as a team's current ranking?

Edit: That's exactly what they do.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Illinois played five games this year against opponents who were ranked in the AP Top 25 on the day of the game:
  • Nov. 14: #4 Marquette, home, lost 71-64
  • Dec. 5: #11 Florida Atlantic, neutral, won 98-89
  • Dec. 9: #17 Tennessee, road, lost 86-79
  • Jan. 5: #1 Purdue, road, lost 83-78
  • Mar. 5: #3 Purdue, home, lost 77-71
If you're referring to games against opponents in the current AP Top 25 (or NET or w/e) then the results will be different since MSU/Wisconsin/Northwestern were in and out of the rankings this year.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Illinois played five games this year against opponents who were ranked in the AP Top 25 on the day of the game:
  • Nov. 14: #4 Marquette, home, lost 71-64
  • Dec. 5: #11 Florida Atlantic, neutral, won 98-89
  • Dec. 9: #17 Tennessee, road, lost 86-79
  • Jan. 5: #1 Purdue, road, lost 83-78
  • Mar. 5: #3 Purdue, home, lost 77-71
If you're referring to games against opponents in the current AP Top 25 (or NET or w/e) then the results will be different since MSU/Wisconsin/Northwestern were in and out of the rankings this year.
looks like they played Purdue tough without Shannon in that Jan 6th matchup.

Cyclonefan89

Oct 25, 2010
Ankeny
stuff like Candace Parker not even pronouncing TJ's last name right.
I noticed that too. But it seemed like she knew it was wrong because she kept asking if she was saying it right, and she only said it after the other guy called im oatselburger first

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron