Illinois forums

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Exhibit A: BYU in Provo.
I do think BYU posed more issues for us by having big men facilitate from the top of the key though too. I think Illinois relies on guards to initiate offense which should play a bit to our strengths.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
So Illinois's star player has been charged with a rape which occurred last fall and his hearing is scheduled for May. How convenient.

Illinois fans must be so proud.
Yeah the Shannon situation gets conveniently glossed over by all the talking heads drooling over Illinois and TSJ's peformances. Dude shouldn't be anywhere near a basketball court at the moment. I get that a judge granted an injunction against his suspension by the university, but Brad Underwood still has the ability to simply not play him. That'd take some moral fortitude however.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
So Illinois's star player has been charged with a rape which occurred last fall and his hearing is scheduled for May. How convenient.

Maybe we need a thread just on Terence Shannon...

This is a really weird case to me. He's accused of rape, suspended, then files a lawsuit that rescinds his suspension. Does that mean Brad Underwood doesn't have a say in whether or not he should be suspended?

According to the (CBS) article I read, there's video evidence that should make this case pretty easy to throw out if nothing really happened. Just bizarre.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022

Wondering if there’s something happening behind the scenes. IU announced today he would not be available for the media. Sounds like a real winner

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Yeah the Shannon situation gets conveniently glossed over by all the talking heads drooling over Illinois and TSJ's peformances. Dude shouldn't be anywhere near a basketball court at the moment. I get that a judge granted an injunction against his suspension by the university, but Brad Underwood still has the ability to simply not play him. That'd take some moral fortitude however.
Win at all costs baby!

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Maybe we need a thread just on Terence Shannon...

This is a really weird case to me. He's accused of rape, suspended, then files a lawsuit that rescinds his suspension. Does that mean Brad Underwood doesn't have a say in whether or not he should be suspended?

According to the (CBS) article I read, there's video evidence that should make this case pretty easy to throw out if nothing really happened. Just bizarre.
My understanding is the suspension was by the university. Judge said suspending him does more potential harm to him than potential harm to the university.

Shannon was not intially suspended by Underwood I don't believe. I'd think Underwood still has all the discretion in the world to do what he'd want.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
In the end, not sure how anyone can say there's no way team X can beat team Y when you are in the Sweet 16. I can give a little credence to that if it's a 15 seed that got there, but even then, they showed you they can absolutely beat a top-2 seed.

This game is between a 2 and a 3 seed and is a coin flip in the gambling world basically.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My understanding is the suspension was by the university. Judge said suspending him does more potential harm to him than potential harm to the university.

Shannon was not intially suspended by Underwood I don't believe. I'd think Underwood still has all the discretion in the world to do what he'd want.
If Underwood had any integrity, he would just sit him. He is the head coach afterall.

Reactions: carvers4math

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
In the end, not sure how anyone can say there's no way team X can beat team Y when you are in the Sweet 16. I can give a little credence to that if it's a 15 seed that got there, but even then, they showed you they can absolutely beat a top-2 seed.

This game is between a 2 and a 3 seed and is a coin flip in the gambling world basically.

Yeah, I'm on the "wait and see" side. Let them talk. They're right to feel confident because our offense is susceptible to scoring slumps, and statistically they have the best offense our defense has faced all year. It'll be a significant challenge to beat them, but like you said, what team in the Sweet 16 isn't?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've already had about enough of the talk about this game. From the media to their fans.

They are 1-4 vs top 25.
ISU is 6-5 vs top 25

Maybe they are better than us. Maybe they will win. But they certainly haven't earned all the talk of it that they are getting.
A lot like the way the national media was talking about UCLA in 2000 when ISU faced them in Sweet 16. Hopefully a similar outcome!

Oct 30, 2023
If Underwood had any integrity, he would just sit him. He is the head coach afterall.
Easy comment to make, not sure that would hold up in court though.

Long story short, Shannon was accused of fingering a girl in a bar on KU's campus after they shellacked Illinois in a football game. (One of two times I watched KU beat the team I was rooting for in-person, sorry about that guys). The alleged incident happened over the course of a minute or so at a crowded campus bar. Because digital penetration was alleged, he was charged with rape, as well as sexual battery. Any crap you've read online about the alleged incident being not true or whatever evidence might exist is likely bunk, at this point very little public information has been released other than the charging document and some poorly filled out police reports.

Once he was formally charged by the state of Kansas, UIUC initiated their conduct policy (which exists primarily to protect the school) where the AD suspended TSJ from all team activities until the matter was decided, and an independent faculty panel that is supposed to review those decisions upheld the determination.

TSJ sued, and the end result was the Federal judge gave TSJ an injunction preventing the school from implementing its policy. Largely it was based on:
  1. TSJ's attorneys argued that he is in an academic/job training program (for which he received considerable compensation through NIL), and he enjoys a presumption of innocence and due process before being denied the ability to participate.
  2. The school's athlete conduct policy did not give him that due process, he was suspended based on the nature of the charges, and had no hearing on the merits of the case.

The school could investigate through the student discipline process, and a finding in that process could lead to TSJ being suspended, but that is a long timeline and the school has limited access to information given out of state charges... we're still waiting for a preliminary hearing and discovery in the court case, his attorneys got that delayed until May.

So... here we are. He has injunction saying the school can't take action against him until he's gone through due process, he may be innocent, he may not be. My spidey sense, which means nothing, tells me that I assume he did something very untoward in that Lawrence bar. I believe our judicial system metes out too much punishment in general, so a 10 year mandatory minimum for a rape charge over a 30-second event seems wrong, but if he did what was alleged a serious misdemeanor and some amount of jail time seems very appropriate and necessary. If guilty of that, then that's a charge that historically has led to players being ejected from the school. His college career is over in 4-14 days no matter what.

The situation sucks, I hope justice, whatever the hell it is in this situation, is done.

I think this *should* be a driver to rethink whether players are employees vs. student-athletes, but it probably won't be.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Easy comment to make, not sure that would hold up in court though.

Long story short, Shannon was accused of fingering a girl in a bar on KU's campus after they shellacked Illinois in a football game. (One of two times I watched KU beat the team I was rooting for in-person, sorry about that guys). The alleged incident happened over the course of a minute or so at a crowded campus bar. Because digital penetration was alleged, he was charged with rape, as well as sexual battery. Any crap you've read online about the alleged incident being not true or whatever evidence might exist is likely bunk, at this point very little public information has been released other than the charging document and some poorly filled out police reports.

Once he was formally charged by the state of Kansas, UIUC initiated their conduct policy (which exists primarily to protect the school) where the AD suspended TSJ from all team activities until the matter was decided, and an independent faculty panel that is supposed to review those decisions upheld the determination.

TSJ sued, and the end result was the Federal judge gave TSJ an injunction preventing the school from implementing its policy. Largely it was based on:
  1. TSJ's attorneys argued that he is in an academic/job training program (for which he received considerable compensation through NIL), and he enjoys a presumption of innocence and due process before being denied the ability to participate.
  2. The school's athlete conduct policy did not give him that due process, he was suspended based on the nature of the charges, and had no hearing on the merits of the case.

The school could investigate through the student discipline process, and a finding in that process could lead to TSJ being suspended, but that is a long timeline and the school has limited access to information given out of state charges... we're still waiting for a preliminary hearing and discovery in the court case, his attorneys got that delayed until May.

So... here we are. He has injunction saying the school can't take action against him until he's gone through due process, he may be innocent, he may not be. My spidey sense, which means nothing, tells me that I assume he did something very untoward in that Lawrence bar. I believe our judicial system metes out too much punishment in general, so a 10 year mandatory minimum for a rape charge over a 30-second event seems wrong, but if he did what was alleged a serious misdemeanor and some amount of jail time seems very appropriate and necessary. If guilty of that, then that's a charge that historically has led to players being ejected from the school. His college career is over in 4-14 days no matter what.

The situation sucks, I hope justice, whatever the hell it is in this situation, is done.

I think this *should* be a driver to rethink whether players are employees vs. student-athletes, but it probably won't be.

So tell me please, what type of punishment do you think is appropriate for forcing your hand up a woman's vagina against her will?

Illinois does not have to play this guy, but they've decided winning is more important than doing what is right. As I said earlier, you and your fellow fans must be so proud of your university.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I just hope Illinois isnt added to the list of Big10 teams eliminating us from the tournament. Michigan State, Ohio State(twice) Purdue

Wins: Wisconsin, Minnesota, michigan

This is since I’ve been a fan.

Reactions: RezClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron