Texas
Baylor

If we somehow won that quarterfinal opponent
Tech
KU
WV(not likely)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I would rather play Oklahoma again at this point, any of the other 4 and we are 1 and done.

None of those 4 other teams travel. With a home crowd, I could see a win against any of those teams. The next round doesn't look good.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Oklahoma State. Maybe TCU; I'll get back to you on that one Wednesday night

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I like our chances with any matchup other than TCU. Brod always plays out his mind against us.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Really not sure it matters. ISU has yet to play well for 40 minutes for two games in a row in conference, let alone win consecutive games.

Looking at the conference standings it will be interesting to see who goes to the NCAA tourney. OU was a 5 seed on espn's latest bracketology...are they in danger of playing their way out?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Really not sure it matters. ISU has yet to play well for 40 minutes for two games in a row in conference, let alone win consecutive games.

Looking at the conference standings it will be interesting to see who goes to the NCAA tourney. OU was a 5 seed on espn's latest bracketology...are they in danger of playing their way out?
gotta think so. Should be 6-9 in conf. after Kansas on Monday. They will for sure lose at Waco so that will give them 10 Big 12 losses, with Kansas State and Iowa State at home. They might be playing for their tourney lives when we go to Norman.

• Agree
Reactions: PlanoClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
gotta think so. Should be 6-9 in conf. after Kansas on Monday. They will for sure lose at Waco so that will give them 10 Big 12 losses, with Kansas State and Iowa State at home. They might be playing for their tourney lives when we go to Norman.

And, don't look now but Baylor might play themselves in. 17-10 with some good recent wins.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83 and awd4cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not sure there's an ideal scenario beyond being able to win opening round game, mainly because ISU can't put put together a back-to-back solid performance. But, simulating the rest of the schedule (as realistically as possible), I'd choose something like this:

big 12 bracket.jpg

We'll be underdog every step no matter what.

But maybe if OU stays 1-dimensional enough and stays in unravel mode, maybe we could still that. ISU has beaten Tech once, so we know it's possible, and any nudge from Hilton South if it's close, who knows?

Similar semi-home-court vs. WVU if they actually take care of Texas (I'd rather have UT and BU swapped 5-for-6 in this scenario, but I don't know if the game-by-game choices are possible).

This is total pipe-dreaming. But OP asked for best-case.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hard for me to think of any scenario as "ideal"

Perhaps another way to look at it is which Big 12 team should be most concerned about having to face us?

• Agree
Reactions: Allikat

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don't think we're in the top 8 of this league in terms of talent, but if there was ever a year a 10 seed could win the Big 12 tournament, this is definitely the year. I don't even care who we draw, I think we can beat any team in the league if we play for 40 minutes, and that includes Lard giving a **** for 40 minutes.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not sure there's an ideal scenario beyond being able to win opening round game, mainly because ISU can't put put together a back-to-back solid performance. But, simulating the rest of the schedule (as realistically as possible), I'd choose something like this:

View attachment 53651

We'll be underdog every step no matter what.

But maybe if OU stays 1-dimensional enough and stays in unravel mode, maybe we could still that. ISU has beaten Tech once, so we know it's possible, and any nudge from Hilton South if it's close, who knows?

Similar semi-home-court vs. WVU if they actually take care of Texas (I'd rather have UT and BU swapped 5-for-6 in this scenario, but I don't know if the game-by-game choices are possible).

This is total pipe-dreaming. But OP asked for best-case.

Would love that bracket if we could find a way to get to nine or KU falls to two.

Reactions: cyclones500

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I wonder what kind of a following there will be in KC this year, since there’s a good chance for an early out

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Hard for me to think of any scenario as "ideal"

Perhaps another way to look at it is which Big 12 team should be most concerned about having to face us?

That's a good question. It's hard to say completely since there's still 2 games vs. teams that beat us (OSU, TCU, road) and 1 each vs. teams ISU beat (OU, WVa home). BU and TT were night-and-day home/road splits and the rest have been sweeps.

Teams from that "incomplete" group that Iowa State could face in opening round (7-10/8-9) are TCU, OSU and OU. Tech and WVU would be quarterfinal or semifinal, and I'd guess they wouldn't want to overlook ISU>

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron