Hy-Vee-What's up?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That guy lives in Osage? Lol He gets plenty of talk on YMH. At least I think it’s that guy. I can’t imagine there’s more than one YouTube channel talking about dicks at the Denver Airport.

That's where I discovered him. My same friend who watches Love After Lockup is a big YMH fan (I sort of am too, but just got waaaay behind on it this year) and he decided to look into the guy. Once he found out that Tapley's website referenced Osage, he had me start researching (being a native of the area). Sure enough, he owns two houses in Osage (per Mitchell County Assessor's website) and he drives around town in a van with a Third Eagle bumper sticker.

Another buddy of mine (who lives in Osage) literally crosses paths with him on the local nature trail on a regular basis.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
A butcher is someone who slaughters, prepares, and/or provides counter service in providing the cut and amount of meat you wish to purchase. The local HyVee no longer has service at a meat counter.

Question, what town and is it a regular Hy-Vee or one of the newer version which do not have full service departments and gets product from another near Hy-Vee? I know they now have a number of types of stores with different services.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A butcher at Fareway in 2021 is a lot different than one from the 80's. They may do some slicing but I bet you they get their meat in boxes. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I work in the engineering department of a large retailer based in Minneapolis, whose mascot is Bullseye the Dog. Order pick-up and delivery is absolutely booming. We are installing new order pickup areas to stores including refrigeration for groceries as fast as humanly possible.

The growth in that area has been 100%-200% increase EVERY QUARTER. They use their stores as delivery hubs as opposed to a central warehouse, like Amazon. It's been really successful. They believe the hub strategy minimizes transportation costs.

Management is betting the trend will continue every after COVID due to the convenience of the service.
Convenience alone won't cut it though. Without accuracy you'll be just another, you know, that Midwest grocery store chain that hires teenagers (who have never shopped for groceries) to fill orders. (I know that was a run-on sentence.)

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Question, what town and is it a regular Hy-Vee or one of the newer version which do not have full service departments and gets product from another near Hy-Vee? I know they now have a number of types of stores with different services.
I have friends still in my hometown, Charles City. They say that any bakery items sold in the store come from the Hy-Vee in Mason City. Nothing made fresh on site anymore apparently.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It always amazes me the people who talk about Fareway meat. There are only a few packers of meat today so there is really not much difference it is just a perception due to Fareway having had service cases longer than other chains. 32 years in the business.
HyVee does weird things like 5 for $25, steaks/chops where its a cost per.
No thanks, I want to pay for meat by weight.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
A butcher at Fareway in 2021 is a lot different than one from the 80's. They may do some slicing but I bet you they get their meat in boxes. Maybe I'm wrong.

The one near me has two legit butchers that cut down whole sides of beef and what not. No idea if that's the case everywhere but its awesome to have that 10 minutes away.

Now hamburger and some of that stuff comes prepackaged for the most part unless you get the 'Our own' that they still grind in store.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The one near me has two legit butchers that cut down whole sides of beef and what not. No idea if that's the case everywhere but its awesome to have that 10 minutes away.

Now hamburger and some of that stuff comes prepackaged for the most part unless you get the 'Our own' that they still grind in store.
Our own grind is awesome.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Not going to say the town, it is regular store in a small town and the store has been here for decades. It is not a HyVee Fresh and had a full service meat counter until they recently fired the butchers including a 64 year old who had worked there since high school.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Preformed onion rings aren’t onion rings, Jfc! They’re ground up onions(?) with some thick breading pressed out in a circle.