Huggins, after the game.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have no real issue with it. They're big boys, call them out if they aren't responding to you. The guys' earned the benefit of assuming he knows what he's doing.

Also, in looking at their schedule, they've had 5 games in 11 days, 4 of which were on the road. They went from Okie State, to K-State, came back home for one game, went to TCU and then were at ISU. That's got to take a bit of a toll.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
He’s frustrated, they have blown some leads lately.

Frankly it seems less throwing guys under the bus than saying they didn’t work hard enough.

Reactions: SportsMan9000

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How about for once, Huggins give the opposing team a little credit. If he has ever done so, I've haven't seen it. I can't wait for him to leave coaching; can't stand his version of "basketball"

Dude, they had a 1 point lead and the ball and they proceeded to get trapped in the corner which is day 1 of junior high level stuff and then they turned it over. ISU made plays, to be sure, but if it was reversed, we'd talk about giving it away too.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
actually that quote is why people play for him.

he isn't 4th in all time wins for nothing.
4th all time and he never had a "good" job. Yes, WVU was in good shape when he took over but there's no inherent reason for them to be good. The guys is an elite coach and I personally like the honesty. He's not scared to ruffle feathers and if his players don't like it, they can GTFO. I've come to realize people who are as blunt and honest as him are often not the ones to worry about.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
4th all time and he never had a "good" job. Yes, WVU was in good shape when he took over but there's no inherent reason for them to be good. The guys is an elite coach and I personally like the honesty. He's not scared to ruffle feathers and if his players don't like it, they can GTFO. I've come to realize people who are as blunt and honest as him are often not the ones to worry about.

totally agree.

hes never been at a blue blood and has had a ton of success.

his style works and people want to play for him. I respect the man and hope he can have some success here in the last few years. not sure how long he'll keep going.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have no real issue with it. They're big boys, call them out if they aren't responding to you. The guys' earned the benefit of assuming he knows what he's doing.

Also, in looking at their schedule, they've had 5 games in 11 days, 4 of which were on the road. They went from Okie State, to K-State, came back home for one game, went to TCU and then were at ISU. That's got to take a bit of a toll.

That kind of stuff shouldn't happen. That's ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
How about for once, Huggins give the opposing team a little credit. If he has ever done so, I've haven't seen it. I can't wait for him to leave coaching; can't stand his version of "basketball"
Actually I have heard him do that a lot. I don't like his and his team's in game antics much, but I like the way he handles himself after games.

Reactions: cyfanatic and jsb

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Actually I have heard him do that a lot. I don't like his and his team's in game antics much, but I like the way he handles himself after games.

Yeah. I’m not sure how he is in the locker room but the stuff after the game sounds more like a disappointed dad vs an angry lunatic.

Reactions: 0u812 and cychhosis

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I've heard national media say this that when you talk to a lot coaches in private this time of year quite a few of them hate their team. Even ones that are winning. Coaches sick of the players and vice versa. Tired of practice, burnt out, etc.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

AGREE! Great post. One way to judge someone like Huggins (who admittedly seems to be a bit rough around the edges) is to listen to those who know him...and those guys would run through a wall for him. His players know he will be hard on them but at the same time they know he will fight for them. His players love him! I used to really enjoy watching Cinci, Memphis and DePaul fight it out back in the Great Midwest days...Huggins is a winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: mfl3cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I know his quotes are probably going to make some people upset, but I would much rather read/hear that versus the canned coach-speak. The "letting down the thousands of Mountaineer fans" may have been a bit over the top, but, as a fan, I prefer that to wondering if your coach cares about the fact that you just lost the game.

I'm with ya. I love Huggy Bear and there isn't a coach in the country that gets the most out of his guys year in year out. It can't always just fall on the coach, at some point guys need to execute the game plan. IMO this is what drove Prohm into the ground. When you have a couple players that go against the grain and free lance instead of following the script the whole thing breaks down.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I like Huggins too. For the most part over the years his players have loved him. Guess what, you talk about doing basic stuff and you don't do it, that's why you lost. Not sure you need to say it any other way.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
i've got no problem with him being honest...if his job is to coach and their job is to play, is he wrong? you don't like his demeanor? I agree, ISU deserves credit, but some of the ragging on Huggins because he's blunt and tough are strange to me.

Bruh, whenever you point a finger, there are three pointing right back at YOU.

Marge needs to nut up and take the blame for the players not doing what he said they should do. That's on him. That's why he's being paid the big bucks, to make sure he has players who follow through on his commands.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Looked to me like Brockington immediately went to work when McNeil was on him. This happened several possessions late in the second half. I thought to myself, why do they have McNeil on Brockington? As in, I was glad they are trying to guard Brockington with McNeil.
While King was half asleep during the broadcast he raised this point. As long as they were going to keep playing McNeil on IB with limited help, there was no reason to do anything else but get IB the ball and let him go to work.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Huggins knowledge of the game is very impressive. Guess one should expect that out of the man who is the fourth winningest coach ever. Definitely not just a figurehead coach.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 0u812 and cyfanatic