How many have ever been contacted for a poll?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
As the election comes to us here in a few days now and you see all these polls mainly done by the media outlets made me curious regardless of who you’re voting for who here has ever been contacted by any polls in the current or past elections? Last presidential election obviously it election some were taken by surprise by the difference in what polls showed versus what actually voting was. And I keep seeing this nexstar one that who tv shows here in central Iowa and obviously that’s the company that owns them and many other tv stations . So how do you know how close those are even because they could show bias..... The media seems to support democratics vs republicans. So who here has ever been apart of any polls?

I get a phone call or two every year, but I always hang up.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
CNN asked me to do their huge exit poll leaving my Texas Primary location on Super Tuesday in March 2016. Gave me a $10 Chipotle gift card to do it. Handed me an iPad and took like 10-15min

In 2009 in high school I took a temp job at a call center that paid $13 an hour that was doing polls. Funded by the political science department at the University of Akron. It was all political-ish questions. That was interesting to see how people answered and how they claimed to be Republican or Democrat. I wish I knew/care enough back then to try to read into what I was asking.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
CNN asked me to do their huge exit poll leaving my Texas Primary location on Super Tuesday in March 2016. Gave me a $10 Chipotle gift card to do it. Handed me an iPad and took like 10-15min

In 2009 in high school I took a temp job at a call center that paid $13 an hour that was doing polls. Funded by the political science department at the University of Akron. It was all political-ish questions. That was interesting to see how people answered and how they claimed to be Republican or Democrat. I wish I knew/care enough back then to try to read into what I was asking.
Wow. If true, that heavily skews the results. The demographic shift by simply bribing you to take a poll is significant. I've seen polls and their pre-requisites and to be honest, I'm surprised any of these polls were created by real statisticians.
I, personally, have never been contacted. But then again, we seem to move every 5 years so maybe they haven't caught up with me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The last one I answered I was asked qualifier questions to see if I was in an area of need.

1) my age.....I answered and I fit
2) my race.... I answered and I still fit
3) how likely would I vote...answered extremely likely....told they have enough so They didn’t need me.

So basically they were looking for those not likely to vote or unsure? Doesn’t seem like a good group to poll.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Also, I do several surveys for Ag stuff. I always get paid and many times it’s 25-100 bucks for 15-30 minutes worth. One year I made close to a grand filling these out in my spare time from several companies. The worst polling company I found was Ipsos. If you hear they ran a poll, don’t take much faith in them, their polls are poor.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wow. If true, that heavily skews the results. The demographic shift by simply bribing you to take a poll is significant. I've seen polls and their pre-requisites and to be honest, I'm surprised any of these polls were created by real statisticians.
I, personally, have never been contacted. But then again, we seem to move every 5 years so maybe they haven't caught up with me.

Should I clarify and say they didn't offer the gift card to get you to do it? They simply asked if I wanted to do an exit poll and I said yes then handed me a sheet of paper to sign (which is when I found out it was CNN and some university or research center). The gift card didn't come up until I handed the iPad back. I don't think I heard anyone say "no" and the response be "will a $10 gift card change your mind?".

I do know they asked every single person that left the polling place while I was there. I was just excited to do it to see what the questions were like.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The fact this thread doesn't have an actual poll is a travesty.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have been called to answer a poll many times in the past. I have only actually done it probably 25% of the time. Of those about half appeared to be legitimate polls and the other half were push polls. I don't get asked much anymore because we screen our calls and pollsters don't talk to answering machines.

By the way, if anyone in Minnesota tells you they are a registered Democrat or Republican tell them they are full of it. In this state they don't have party affiliation with your voter registration.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Multiple times.

And somehow the D team has my phone number. Texts and calls all of the time

There is a state election here with the highest volume of mailers I've ever seen. Just an avalanche of really nasty stuff

Incest. Rape. Murder. All on the dang things. They don't make it into the house

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I had the opportunity to spend some time with Carlin before a show in CR. He seems to be a well grounded, nice guy; not nearly as acerbic as his onstage persona.

You either dreamed the whole thing, or met Carlin's ghost, or that was just some funny older dude with a beard.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I did 4 or 5 this election cycle most only took 3-5 minutes. Was curious how they framed the questions. One was definitely trying to steer me towards certain candidates. Mad it a point to support candidate they were trying to bash.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry I didn't get the tense right. This was in 1998 I believe.

Jealous.

I watch his clips and it's kind of a cliche to say that what he was saying is still relevant, but his bits about over consumption, materialism, etc. were/are truly spot on.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Should I clarify and say they didn't offer the gift card to get you to do it? They simply asked if I wanted to do an exit poll and I said yes then handed me a sheet of paper to sign (which is when I found out it was CNN and some university or research center). The gift card didn't come up until I handed the iPad back. I don't think I heard anyone say "no" and the response be "will a $10 gift card change your mind?".

I do know they asked every single person that left the polling place while I was there. I was just excited to do it to see what the questions were like.
Yes. That clarification is important. Thank you for that. That said, any information provided to you prior to assessing and submitting your information will skew results. Even saying they're CNN is horribly wrong when seeking objective information. Yet another mistake on the their part.