High School State Tournaments

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Someone said they seeded the top 8 and then went to a random draw seeding for 9-24. Not sure if that is true or not, I just heard that floated. I’m not as deeply tied into the the things that I used to be, so I’m spitballing like others.
I like the format of the tournament. Seedings seem to work themselves out, and that's heavyweight smaller class stuff so who knows. I pretty much only pay attention to the 3A matches..Go Indianola and Polk!

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
The parents aren’t where you pull the money though. I know several extended family members that felt they could come Thursday and still see them. Also, classmates, then general overall observers. I’m here now and I can tell you that 40 minutes before the start, you pretty much can sit where you want and that includes extra space marked off for wrestlers who are done since there are 3x the wrestlers done right now that there normally would be. I used to come down here and by 30 minutes before the start you were stuck in the middle of the top level.

This is dead compared to past years.
That place should be a packed arena today. This is the day where medal matches get lined up. Odd that it's quiet. Any thoughts why?

I will say, having all three sessions of class 3a in the evening really dampers the student attendance. Like it or not, students are more likely to attend when they get to miss school. The leaders in Boone should have put 3a session first or second and all the suburbanite students would have filled the arena.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It isn't. All 24 are seeded.

"...the individual state tournament, using the TrackWrestling system, will be seeded for wrestlers #1-24, using criteria to include head-to-head competition, common opponents, state place winner, and state qualifier."
Track system, that explains a lot. Unfortunately it gives a lot of weight to what freshmen did as 8th graders. Also gets skewed by their significant wins and if you do any USA events for freestyle and Greco.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Will the tournament go back to 3 days once the current contract with Wells runs out? I heard the 4 day event could be because of the Dual tournament and that doesn't take up a day anymore

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Track system, that explains a lot. Unfortunately it gives a lot of weight to what freshmen did as 8th graders. Also gets skewed by their significant wins and if you do any USA events for freestyle and Greco.
Sounds like it inadvertently penalizes multisport athletes

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Will the tournament go back to 3 days once the current contract with Wells runs out? I heard the 4 day event could be because of the Dual tournament and that doesn't take up a day anymore
Once you expand to 24, it will be hard to go back to 16. Another boneheaded move by the Boone boys.

Reactions: CycloneVet

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

There's nothing about middle school or non-scholastic events listed in the criteria.

1. Head-to-head competition
2. Competition against common opponents
3. Returning state champion
4. Returning second- or third-place finisher in previous season (equal value)
5. Returning fourth- through eighth-place finisher from previous season (valued in order)
6. District champion
7. Returning state qualifier in previous season
8. Winning percentage in the current season

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There's nothing about middle school or non-scholastic events listed in the criteria.

1. Head-to-head competition
2. Competition against common opponents
3. Returning state champion
4. Returning second- or third-place finisher in previous season (equal value)
5. Returning fourth- through eighth-place finisher from previous season (valued in order)
6. District champion
7. Returning state qualifier in previous season
8. Winning percentage in the current season
This is the criteria that the state set up a year or two ago, this is not track wrestlings criteria.

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
That place should be a packed arena today. This is the day where medal matches get lined up. Odd that it's quiet. Any thoughts why?

I will say, having all three sessions of class 3a in the evening really dampers the student attendance. Like it or not, students are more likely to attend when they get to miss school. The leaders in Boone should have put 3a session first or second and all the suburbanite students would have filled the arena.
the schedule rotates, 3A will be one of the other slots next year

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

This is 100% correct. My kid was excited to attend until I told him 3A was at night. He hasnt attended a single session.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
He'll be tough to get imo, he wrestles for Sebolt and a majority of their guys go out east
Everyone is going to want Ross. Could be a PSU type kid too. I think a realistic target for Iowa State in that weight range (and one I think we will have a very good chance to get) is Danarii Mickel from Ames (Paniro's cousin).

BigD

Mar 12, 2014
Everyone is going to want Ross. Could be a PSU type kid too. I think a realistic target for Iowa State in that weight range (and one I think we will have a very good chance to get) is Danarii Mickel from Ames (Paniro's cousin).
Two freshmen in the semi's at 3A 195 is impressive.

Reactions: CycloneVet

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Textor from DNH (2A 285) upset the 3 seed yesterday in OT and then wins by getting illegally slammed in OT today. Was watching on Flo and it very much picked up the Grinnell kid not wanting to shake his hand and calling him a b*tch as he lay motion-less on the mat. Regardless, Textor weighs just a shade over 200...has to eat and drink in order to even make weight on the bottom side of Hvy Wt...kid is fun to watch!
I see he's through to the finals....beat the 18 seed to get there. Good stuff.

Is he walking on at Iowa State to play football or is that DNH's 220#. Whichever one it was is a well put together lad and an impressive athlete. I sat next to an old boy at the BCLUW duals tournament this winter that was giving me the low down. Nice guy to talk to.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I see he's through to the finals....beat the 18 seed to get there. Good stuff.

Is he walking on at Iowa State to play football or is that DNH's 220#. Whichever one it was is a well put together lad and an impressive athlete. I sat next to an old boy at the BCLUW duals tournament this winter that was giving me the low down. Nice guy to talk to.

That’s Roeneke sp? That is walking on

Reactions: 4theheckofit

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron