HELP. Foreign smell in house.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JoshTheCyclone

Feb 4, 2012
Fort Dodge
My wife has been home with our child all day and both have apparently been feeling "off". Wife says it has smelled like this for a day or so now. Our house runs on natural gas and I'm not ruling that out but it seems to be a different scent to me. We also have an electric fireplace. I've been home for a half hour and am starting to feel a bit queasy as well..Anyone have an idea what this could be?
Thanks for any input!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I know it's darn cold out but try cracking a window to vent the house out. Look outside on your roof to see if all your vents are working ok, it's cold enough you should be able to see steam coming out.

If it's too bad go stay somewhere else tonight. I think the F.D. might come out and do a check for free if you call them.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Angie

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I know it's darn cold out but try cracking a window to vent the house out. Look outside on your roof to see if all your vents are working ok, it's cold enough you should be able to see steam coming out.

If it's too bad go stay somewhere else tonight. I think the F.D. might come out and do a check for free if you call them.

I agree, I'd try venting the house a bit to see if it helps. If it smells like natural gas at all you'd probably know it right away. Mid-American will come out and check for free if you suspect anything.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Call the fire department they might be able to help..is your fireplace new and did u just start using it?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
My wife has been home with our child all day and both have apparently been feeling "off". Wife says it has smelled like this for a day or so now. Our house runs on natural gas and I'm not ruling that out but it seems to be a different scent to me. We also have an electric fireplace. I've been home for a half hour and am starting to feel a bit queasy as well..Anyone have an idea what this could be?
Thanks for any input!

I'd get right out and then call Mid-American/Alliant/Fire Department.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Agree with others. Get out, call power company. They'll come check it for free. Just had something similar happen to us a few days ago. Turned out to be sewer gas (aka - hawk fan relatives):)

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know you're joking but I work at a natural gas utility and gas safety is really serious.

If it was a gas leak the smell would be a dead tip-off (mercaptan - smells like rotten eggs). I'd be really worried about carbon monoxide as noted earlier.

I know someone who didn't follow up on a smell like that and had long-term carbon monoxide exposure. It messed his body up.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Unless it smells like nasty eggs, probably isn't gas, but CO is a big problem this time of year. Not something to mess around with. Go to a neighbor's while you still have your faculties.