Heisman Trophy malaise

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I agree. Just look at the QBs on the top 8-10 teams and pick out the one with the best stats and on the team that's the "biggest brand". That's your winner

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
It used to be must watch tv for me. Now I can't remember the last time I watched it.
Same. Though that's kind of been my overall interest in CFB. In college I was in front of the TV all day and night; now I'll watch us and maybe catch bits and pieces of other games but I've got other things to do to keep me busy.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I'm a college football traditionalist, so I enjoy the pageantry every year.
On that note, the award has gone to **** in the last 15 to 20 years.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think it lost its prestige when it stopped going to (arguably) the best player and started going to the best player that was the quarterback for a blue blood program in contention for the national title. Or, if that wasn't an option, the best player who was a running back for a blue blood program in contention for the national title.

Honestly, it started to wobble a little in the 90s with some questionable winners:
  • 1992: Gino Torretta over Marshall Faulk
  • 1995: Eddie George over Tommie Frazier
  • 1996: Danny Wuerffel of Troy Davis

I was really just starting to be a rabid football fan in 1992 as middle school kid and I'd watch Sportscenter every morning. I could not fathom how even one person didn't think Marshall Faulk was the best player. I guess I learned that early that college football is a lot more political and brand oriented than most sports.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I had to laugh that year Lanning played middle linebacker at all Big 12 level and also still played some quarterback that he didn't win that award that is supposed to be for most versatile player. You could probably give that out for a full 10-20 year span and he should've won it. Even if he hadn't actually still played some QB, just switching to middle linebacker from QB your senior year and dominating at middle linebacker should win that.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I had to laugh that year Lanning played middle linebacker at all Big 12 level and also still played some quarterback that he didn't win that award that is supposed to be for most versatile player. You could probably give that out for a full 10-20 year span and he should've won it. Even if he hadn't actually still played some QB, just switching to middle linebacker from QB your senior year and dominating at middle linebacker should win that.

And the winner was so incredibly versatile by playing running back and ...*checks notes*... kick returner. Wow.

Reactions: HFCS

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think the first time I really paid attention to that award was Darrell Green because of how good he was. He was like a non douchey Deion.
I remember I think a sportscenter or draft segment where he ran like a 4.3 40 at age 50(ish)

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
College football in general is great and brings a ton of fans passion, energy, and money

But it’s being ruined. And at an ever increasing rate. Terrible leadership. Everyone chasing money. Conference and rivalry dissolution.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I feel like Max Duggan should win this year. Great turnaround at TCU, he stuck it out at TCU and put up great #s. He seems a lot more likeable than Caleb Williams who has done a few things that make me think he is an arrogant *******.
Even if likability was a factor, it's not even close. CW's stats are much better than Duggan's this year, by almost every metric.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Like others have mentioned I think it's because who the award goes to is boring. Sure Alabama, Ohio State or Oklahoma under Rielly quarterbacks were good football players, but were they really the best in all of the sport? Or were they good players putting up good stats on great teams? If they spiced up the award more like giving it to Suh or maybe Hutchinson then there would be more reason to discuss the Heisman.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
I think part of it is there was a stretch where the Heisman winner didn't really go on to have a notable NFL career. The Heisman was sort of their peak, and then they just faded away.

Winners since 1999:
Ron Dayne
Chris Weinke
Eric Crouch
Carson Palmer
Jason White
Matt Leinart
[blank]
Troy Smith
Tim Tebow
Sam Bradford
Mark Ingram
Cam Newton
Robert Griffin III
Johnny Manziel
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Derrick Henry
Lamar Jackson
Baker Mayfield
Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Devonta Smith
Bryce Young
Lol...how many on that list got paid more than Reggie Bush, but he is the only "Blank"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron