Hawks - respect

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Iowa's a top five team that came within inches of playing in the four team playoff. Whine and moan all you want, talk about their fan base (which is no different than any other fan base) but until Iowa State shows they have a pulse on a national scale all this ******** makes Iowa State fans look jealous and whiny.

What do you think posting on an ISU board the day after losing makes you look like?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I'll admit I've gotten pissy on some of my posts lately. Like most fanatics here, I take my sports more seriously than I should.

Hell, I walked three miles after the game last night to cool off. Which was kind of funny because I walked by a guy (yes, in a Hawkeye sweatshirt, and no not in a trailer park) outside yelling about a burned out light on his Rudolph lawn decoration. He just ******* changed that damn light!

My routine for ISU basketball losses. The dog loves losses. The fatter he is the happier I am.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Iowa's a top five team that came within inches of playing in the four team playoff. Whine and moan all you want, talk about their fan base (which is no different than any other fan base) but until Iowa State shows they have a pulse on a national scale all this ******** makes Iowa State fans look jealous and whiny.

fanbases from : ISU, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, NW, Mizzou---all loathe the Iowa fanbase. Minnesota folk despise Iowa and their fans

so no, Iowa is very different from other fanbases

32Cyclone Fan

Jan 31, 2008
Just honest question...why does Iowa deserve the Rose Bowl over Ohio State? They both lost to Michigan State by 3. Also Ohio State had to play at Michigan (who was the next best team in the Big 10 and whom they absolutely destroyed) which Iowa didn't have to.
Now I agree that Iowa will probably get the nod for the Rose Bowl but more deserving is a stretch in my opinion.

They don't IMO. Iowa is in the year in and year out weakest division in the Big 10 and only have to play two of the 7 teams in the East division every year. Iowa played East division teams Maryland and Indiana who had a combined 3-13 Big 10 record this season and the six fellow West division teams who had a combined 18-28 Big 10 record.

I wonder what Iowa's record would have been had they had to play 7 teams that are bowl eligible like Iowa State did instead of just the 3 of 8 (7 besides themselves) Big 10 bowl eligible teams that they played.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Good year for Iowa football.

However, Iowa fan base = Nebraska fan base. They don't realize that nobody likes them.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Iowa fans are no different than any other fan base? I beg to differ. Yes every fan base has an element of fans that are a holes. But the degree of it is definitely amplified for the Iowa fan base. In short, there is a high number of arrogant and ignorant fans among the Iowa fan base than others. So many Iowa fans know little about college football other than the Big 10 and Iowa. They have little respect of their opponent, especially ISU. They buy into the myths like the Iowa game is the ISU Super Bowl, while ignoring the fact that the most important game of the year for Hayden Fry was the Iowa State game. That is a fact. They ignore the fact that in this off season Iowa played the ISU fight song non stop in their football facility and their coaching staff brought a level of intensity and focus into the ISU game that was very high. Yet, going into I heard Iowa fans claim that they hope Iowa cares about the ISU game for once. They belittle ISU for losing a lot of football games but while at it have no idea that every year ISU playing national top 10 strength of schedule while the Iowa program is benefiting from cumulative effect of playing easier schedules over the course to time. They are shocked that ISU can beat them in football or even be competitive with them. There is a reason the Minnesota student section chants "we hate iowa" at every home game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Won't be popular, but he's right.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Iowa should be congratulated for playing a very good game. Desmond King is a lock down cornerback. That guy is a big key to their defense. CJ Beathard throws a good deep ball. Give them credit for a very good season.

BTW, I am glad the Committee did not jump Ohio State over Iowa. Thought the Committee was a little biased in rating the Big Ten as high as they could. And rating the Big 12 as low as they could. Kind of funny that Oklahoma is rated #4 and is considered the most dangerous team to play and the odds on favorite by many to win the CFP. Crazy. My hope is that Oklahoma wins the whole damn thing.........convincingly.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I figured the butthurt would go away a little after Iowa lost and ISU fans no longer had to worry about the potential of Iowa in the playoffs. I was wrong apparently.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Iowa should be congratulated for playing a very good game. Desmond King is a lock down cornerback. That guy is a big key to their defense. CJ Beathard throws a good deep ball. Give them credit for a very good season.

BTW, I am glad the Committee did not jump Ohio State over Iowa. Thought the Committee was a little biased in rating the Big Ten as high as they could. And rating the Big 12 as low as they could. Kind of funny that Oklahoma is rated #4 and is considered the most dangerous team to play and the odds on favorite by many to win the CFP. Crazy. My hope is that Oklahoma wins the whole damn thing.........convincingly.

you understand they rated OU where they did because they didn't want them playing in Dallas, right?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'll admit I've gotten pissy on some of my posts lately. Like most fanatics here, I take my sports more seriously than I should.

Hell, I walked three miles after the game last night to cool off. Which was kind of funny because I walked by a guy (yes, in a Hawkeye sweatshirt, and no not in a trailer park) outside yelling about a burned out light on his Rudolph lawn decoration. He just ******* changed that damn light!

Shouldn't he have known it was burnt out from whatever house he stole it from?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
After that game, there was probably another generation of Iowa kids who will say they, 'grew up Hawk fans"

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Respect for the players? Sure. Respect for their mouthbreathing fanbase? ******* never.

What is with the news making a huge deal of that video of the fans cheering as the team leaves the field? They keep repeatedly talking about that "unbelievable", "inspiring", and "incredible" moment. Ummm, no. That happens after every home game at ISU and I'd think most other places. People cheer the team off the field often after a game win or lose. Let alone after a close, hard fought loss at a conference championship game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just honest question...why does Iowa deserve the Rose Bowl over Ohio State? They both lost to Michigan State by 3. Also Ohio State had to play at Michigan (who was the next best team in the Big 10 and whom they absolutely destroyed) which Iowa didn't have to.
Now I agree that Iowa will probably get the nod for the Rose Bowl but more deserving is a stretch in my opinion.

Ohio State ended up with lower SOS than Baylor. Baylor got absolutely trashed 24/7 for their schedule the entire season but you don't hear a peep about Ohio State having a worse schedule now.

Iowa did get flack for their schedule. I'm thrilled Iowa got picked over Ohio State, it's bull crap that Ohio State gets this magical fairy tale universe from the media where their sub 60 SOS doesn't matter but Baylor's better schedule is end of the world hysteria bad.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
you understand they rated OU where they did because they didn't want them playing in Dallas, right?

Location of the game should not be a factor in ranking the teams. Ranking the teams should be based solely on where you feel they should be ranked. If Oklahoma was deemed to be #3 then that is where they should be ranked......period.

What you are suggesting is that the Committee should be allowed to put artificial biases and roadblocks for some teams to help out another team. The rules simply make a concession for the #1 team to be placed in the Bowl that is closest to them. It makes no provision for accommodating the other teams.

This is just further evidence of the negative bias the Committee has towards the Big 12 and the Big Ten and SEC Cronies that have power over the Committee.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Ohio State ended up with lower SOS than Baylor. Baylor got absolutely trashed 24/7 for their schedule the entire season but you don't hear a peep about Ohio State having a worse schedule now.

Iowa did get flack for their schedule. I'm thrilled Iowa got picked over Ohio State, it's bull crap that Ohio State gets this magical fairy tale universe from the media where their sub 60 SOS doesn't matter but Baylor's better schedule is end of the world hysteria bad.

Baylor lost to Texas (yes under brutal circumstances) in their last game and has 3 losses. I'm not sure how you can think they got screwed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I wanted to think that but then statements came from the committee that the 13th game made Michigan State's resume better somehow, even though their SOS is over 20 spots lower than OU's, and they think MSU is the stronger team.

It's like committee doesn't want to see that both teams played 9 leagues games. They both played 9 league games and a computer would tell you the 9 B12 games are just as hard or harder. The "extra game" is non conf.

Oregon - Tennessee (about a wash, exactly next to each other in sagarin)
Western Mich - Tulsa (30 higher for MSU on Sagarin)
Air Force - Akron (15 higher for OU on Sagarin)
Central Michigan - this is Michigan State's "extra game", not Iowa, Iowa gets them to the same amount of conf games as Big 12 schools. Central Michigan, the #83 team in Sagarin.

There's nothing wrong with the Big 12 playing a 9 game round robin. Just look at our SOS, it's the #1 or #2 overall SOS year after year after year after year even without playing a CCG. There's something wrong with the committee being idiots or only having one non-celebrity Big 12 voice.

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I figured the butthurt would go away a little after Iowa lost and ISU fans no longer had to worry about the potential of Iowa in the playoffs. I was wrong apparently.

Hey Clark,

I hope you're enjoying this great season for the Hawkeyes. I'm going to say this once; after watching the B1G CCG I must admit that Iowa is better than I've given them credit for all season. I truly believe that they are the 5th best team in the nation. I hope they and all the Iowa fans that go to Pasadena have a fun experience because they earned it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Baylor lost to Texas (yes under brutal circumstances) in their last game and has 3 losses. I'm not sure how you can think they got screwed.

I'm not saying they got screwed. I thought you were smarter than that.

I'm saying all we heard about was how horrible their schedule was. Guess what. Baylor played a harder schedule than Ohio State. 61 teams played a tougher schedule than Ohio State and we hear not a pin drop about that. But Baylor plays a slightly tougher schedule than Ohio State and you'd think the world was ending from the media attention that got.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron