Have you ever had a paranormal experience?

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Sounds like sleep paralysis

Could have been, but she like grabbed me too and was freaking out and pointing to the corner saying “there’s somebody there”.

I don’t believe that it was a ghost, but it was the weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced. She always makes fun of me because after she calmed down and went back to sleep I went out and slept on the couch. Lol

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I think a lot of this stuff is stupid but I do have a story.

The Christmas when I was 12, there were 5 little kids in our family including 2 babies that wouldn’t sleep. We are unwrapping our presents in pajamas and my parents were trying to stay awake.

At around 8:00 am someone drives into our driveway. It’s the 20 something son of a person that did some repair work for them before they had moved 10 years previously. Us kids obviously had no clue who he was. My mom recognized the name but had never seen him and my dad really didn’t know him. This is someone who had no reason to know where we lived out in the country and about 40 minutes from where he and his parents lived.

He told my dad he was driving around and decided to stop by. ON CHRISTMAS MORNING WITH PEOPLE WHO WHO ESSENTIALLY STRANGERS. He stayed for breakfast and helped put together some of our toys. He left after several hours when my mom said that his mom would probably be looking for him for Christmas dinner. He said he guessed she would be and eventually left.

Obviously as a kid, I didn’t know what had happened but I knew it was weird that some guy stopped by and I remember my parents being annoyed at first. Today my mom tells the story and explains how annoyed she was when she had to rush around making breakfast for someone she didn’t know after not sleeping with infants and 3 kids hyped up on Christmas. But she said she soon thought of Jesus and how he tells us to welcome people. And she figured she better adjust her attitude and welcome this guy. And to this day, both my parents think we were visited by a spirit or Jesus or something that morning. And that he was sent there. And honestly, there isn’t a better explanation.

And none of us have seen him again.
Disappointed. I was expecting you to say you found out later that the kid had died 10 years ago.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Could have been, but she like grabbed me too and was freaking out and pointing to the corner saying “there’s somebody there”.

I don’t believe that it was a ghost, but it was the weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced. She always makes fun of me because after she calmed down and went back to sleep I went out and slept on the couch. Lol
Both my kids did this when they were younger. It was extremely upsetting. The first time our oldest did it we took him to the ER because he had banged his head earlier in the day. But there was nothing wrong and they just called it 'night terrors'.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Both my kids did this when they were younger. It was extremely upsetting. The first time our oldest did it we took him to the ER because he had banged his head earlier in the day. But there was nothing wrong and they just called it 'night terrors'.
I agree, probably the case. My son will have some episodes from time to time. Never happens to my wife again and the way she acted she was convinced something was in the corner.

I can’t tell if the stories my sister or dad told after that were just yanking my chain or not. Sister would tell me that she could feel a presence near her at night while in bed. Dad said he would see figures. My great grandfather was a good family man, so no trauma in the family or anything. I didn’t and still don’t buy it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Disappointed. I was expecting you to say you found out later that the kid had died 10 years ago.

Ha! But it’s still a freaky story, right? How many times has a stranger stopped by your house on Christmas?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm pretty skeptical, my mom has had a couple weird stories.

The more interesting one to me has to do with after we moved to our family farm that has been in the family for more than 150 years. There was a LOT of family tension during the transition from grandparents to my parents and permanent rifts formed. Relevant is that my dad and his paternal grandfather had been very, very close, and he actually died on the farm, in the barn. This was before my parents were dating. He and my great-grandma also had conflict with my grandparents.

So, shortly after we moved in (and there's still fighting), my mom would go out to the barn early in the day to start chores in the barn. We had a couple dogs that she would let out of their sleeping area usually a bit after she started, but sometimes right away. She started to notice when she came into the barn without the dogs.......she would see a man walking down the feed alley in front of the cows. Older, dressed in barn type clothes. He'd walk down the alley and disappear into our 'feed room' as we called it. She sort of guessed it was a friendly spirit and maybe my great-grandpa as my dad and uncle previously had stories of him saying "goodbye" to them after he died (likely sleep paralysis, imo but it did keep my uncle from ever sleeping in the farmhouse again). She didn't talk about it to my dad but it kept happening and she noticed that the cows were reacting to it as well. Whenever a person walks down that alley, they tend to pull their heads back a touch as a person passes, and she could see them doing that.

Some point later on, we were white washing the barn and we took out all of the "stuff" to let that happen. We have a spot in the barn where a bunch of coats get hung up. Only a couple are ever used but my family hoards stuff. So when we were going through the stuff, my mom is like hold on, "whose coat is this" about one buried toward the bottom. My dad is like oh that's my grandpa's coat that he always wore to mix up feed. It was the coat she always saw on the man walking down the barn aisle.

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I'm pretty sure I've shared this story before, but I'll do it again! There are actually two and they both involve my grandparents.

First, my grandfather was in hospice care near the conclusion of his battle with cancer. I had driven home after getting the call to come pay my respects. After a long day, my father and I drove home to get some rest while my mother stayed at his side. Around 5am I am jolted awake by this vision of my grandfather standing over top of me. He didn't say anything but I was full of goosebumps and my heart was racing. It FELT more real than anything and was definitely a shock to my system. I sat there in bed trying to calm back down when I could hear my dad walking around downstairs. No big deal right? Well not two minutes later I hear his cell phone ring. It's my mother calling to tell him that my grandfather had just passed. We get dressed and start the drive down to his house. On the way down we are making small talk and he shares this creepy story. The reason that HE was awake is because he had a vision of my grandfather standing over top of him shaking him telling him that he is dead and that he needs to go help my mother.

tl:dr - my father and I both woke up at the same time by visions of my grandfather who died the instant that we both were waken by him.

Second, my grandmother (wife of grandfather above). 5 or so years later, we lose my grandmother to cancer as well. At her funeral I to this day swear that I could feel her hand rubbing the back of my head. I didn't see anything like I did with my grandfather but I have really short hair, like a buzzcut, that she used to love to rub. While I was standing there at the funeral I thought a family member was rubbing the back of my head and I turned to acknowledge them but there was nothing. This kept going on for a few minutes until I came to the conclusion that maybe it was just her. I liked that thought so that's the story I decided to accept :)

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
For the past few years, I have had this continuing dream about a basement room and my parent's house. I would wake up screaming some nights according to my wife but would never tell her about it. It was like a portal to the underworld, devil demons, etc. Even when I go back home I am afraid to go into that room for fears I would become possessed or something.

I can't remember how the subject of sleeping came up while we were out with friends, but my screaming or trying to scream came up in the conversation. I came clean about when I was growing up, that for some reason I was being bull headed or did something that lit my dad up. I just remember him grabbing me and telling to get into the basement. The basement door was one that was on the floor and grabbed a handle and opened. The basement itself was musty and had cob webs along with just this eerie feeling. I remember that I had either a fork or spoon in my hand, and when my dad literally shoved me down the steps, the utensil I had in my hand fell through the steps and to the floor and I couldn't see it due to the pitch black conditions. I remember just screaming in horror when this happened.

Since I've talked about it at that time, I have not had anymore dreams or screaming fits about it. Paranormal? Probably not, by just plain eerie!

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I think a lot of this stuff is stupid but I do have a story.

The Christmas when I was 12, there were 5 little kids in our family including 2 babies that wouldn’t sleep. We are unwrapping our presents in pajamas and my parents were trying to stay awake.

At around 8:00 am someone drives into our driveway. It’s the 20 something son of a person that did some repair work for them before they had moved 10 years previously. Us kids obviously had no clue who he was. My mom recognized the name but had never seen him and my dad really didn’t know him. This is someone who had no reason to know where we lived out in the country and about 40 minutes from where he and his parents lived.

He told my dad he was driving around and decided to stop by. ON CHRISTMAS MORNING WITH PEOPLE WHO WHO ESSENTIALLY STRANGERS. He stayed for breakfast and helped put together some of our toys. He left after several hours when my mom said that his mom would probably be looking for him for Christmas dinner. He said he guessed she would be and eventually left.

Obviously as a kid, I didn’t know what had happened but I knew it was weird that some guy stopped by and I remember my parents being annoyed at first. Today my mom tells the story and explains how annoyed she was when she had to rush around making breakfast for someone she didn’t know after not sleeping with infants and 3 kids hyped up on Christmas. But she said she soon thought of Jesus and how he tells us to welcome people. And she figured she better adjust her attitude and welcome this guy. And to this day, both my parents think we were visited by a spirit or Jesus or something that morning. And that he was sent there. And honestly, there isn’t a better explanation.

And none of us have seen him again.

I had a sibling who was going to stay home for a weekend instead of come with us to visit family. That was the plan. My mom woke up that morning with a sick feeling and made him cancel his plans and come with us instead.

The friend he was going to be with that weekend died in a car crash.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Crap ton = half a buttt load.
buttload (plural buttloads) (obsolete, Britain, West Country) A regional English measure of capacity of a heavy cart (a butt), containing 6 seams, or 48 bushels, equivalent to 384 gallons. (dated, Britain, Southern US, New England) A large amount carried in a butt.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I grew up on Hunt Street just east of the ISU arboretum. When I was twelve, my brother and I began hearing all kinds of strange disembodied sounds in our room. Whistles, hisses, a basketball bouncing...one time it sounded like someone ripped apart two giant pieces of Velcro at the foot of my bed. Whenever we got the courage to flip the lights on the sounds would stop and we never saw anything that might have been making the noise. It really freaked us out.

Then one night as we were laying in bed we noticed a strange blinking light out the window hovering over the woods around collage creek. After a minute or two it started moving toward us, heading south over what is now the bus terminal off Hayward ave. It moved really slow and occasionally would flash a kind of spotlight down through the trees. When it reached our yard I remember everything lit up really bright for a brief second and then the thing moved out of sight over out house and disappeared.

After that all the noises in our room stopped. We never heard anything again or saw the light in the sky. Still have no idea what the “ufo” was. It was the mid 90s so probably not a drone, and if it was a helicopter it would have been loud as hell. The thing couldn’t have been more than 100 feet in the air, maybe even lower.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
buttload (plural buttloads) (obsolete, Britain, West Country) A regional English measure of capacity of a heavy cart (a butt), containing 6 seams, or 48 bushels, equivalent to 384 gallons. (dated, Britain, Southern US, New England) A large amount carried in a butt.
I like big butts

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thought of another one.

At the end of backpacking trip to WY two summers ago my group stayed in a lodge. It was a nice building/house but may have been pretty old.

I was a room with two beds, and woke up half asleep at some point in the night, and there was an image a young woman in an old Victorianish dress by the other bed, appearing to fold clothes on it. She then came over and just stood over my bed, then went back.

I had to use the restroom really bad, so decided to get up, and walked by her, and when I opened the door she was gone as soon as a hallway light came in the door.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Nothing scary.

Was the primary care giver for a close family friend. He got pneumonia, was hospitalized and was on ventilator and not doing well. Somewhere near the end I woke up about 4 AM and heard his voice (literally HEARD it, not just an impression) "I'm ready [MeanDean]" which I interpreted to mean he was ready to die. It did give me a bit of peace about the situation.

• Wow
  • Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Peter