Grills, Grills, Grills

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
I have a Rec Tec pellet smoker and a nearly 10 year old Omaha Grills gas grill that is on its last leg. The Rec Tec smoker is awesome (great temp controller), but I rarely have time to use it. I think I decided my next grill when the gas grill finally gives out will be a Webber Kettle. They are simple and work great. Though after reading this thread I am intrigued by the master built gravity fed charcoal.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a Rec Tec pellet smoker and a nearly 10 year old Omaha Grills gas grill that is on its last leg. The Rec Tec smoker is awesome (great temp controller), but I rarely have time to use it. I think I decided my next grill when the gas grill finally gives out will be a Webber Kettle. They are simple and work great. Though after reading this thread I am intrigued by the master built gravity fed charcoal.
I just want to know how the elements affect the MB because isnt the stack notched for air flow?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Do you have one of those? This is my first time seeing it and this is something my uncle and I have discussed for a long time. Pellet smoker but with charcoal.

My concern has always been the storage of the charcoal and it all heating up/lighting immediately in a big vat like that. This looks ******* slick though. Not sure about the electronics on it either. That looks like a normal computer fan plus the temp gauge/thermometer doesn't look that heavy duty.

I bought one of these about a month ago. Here are my observations:

#1 It cooks better than anything I've ever used. Better smoke flavor than a pellet or electric.
#2 This is $500. The quality is not close to being the same level as those $2,000 pellet grills that will last 30 years. Weird things like the paint bubbling inside were a little bit of a concern but now that I've had 5 or 6 cooks, it's running good. It also takes a good 2 hours to put together but in today's world, who cares.
#3 The tech is a a little sketchy. I've tried it on both an Android phone as well as a Ipad. I finally just connected it to the Ipad, which I leave open and on display. This now works good and both use my wi-fi. Each time you open the lid on the grill you have to push a button to reconnect.
#4 This thing gets up to temp FAST and stays where you want it. I've smoked a few things but also did a reverse sear of some steaks that came out amazing. Very versatile.
#5 They now make a bigger one (1050?). I see no reason that I'd need one that big but others may.

It's kind of like a Tesla at this point. You know there are going to be some short comings but the things it does well, no one else can match.

Last edited:

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I just want to know how the elements affect the MB because isnt the stack notched for air flow?
I have cooked on the Masterbuilt in below freezing weather with considerable wind. The tower is sealed to the elements, no issues there. As far as the grill cavity itself, there is an opening on the back so just move the grill around so the back is out of the wind. Works great. I have done a 20 minute grill and an 11 hour smoke, no issues whatsoever. You cannot beat the $500 price for the 560 as well as the versatility.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have cooked on the Masterbuilt in below freezing weather with considerable wind. The tower is sealed to the elements, no issues there. As far as the grill cavity itself, there is an opening on the back so just move the grill around so the back is out of the wind. Works great. I have done a 20 minute grill and an 11 hour smoke, no issues whatsoever. You cannot beat the $500 price for the 560 as well as the versatility.
That's good to hear. Looks pretty unique.

Reactions: TruClone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I would go both. I love my Traeger but for a lot of things a good propane grill does perfect and it’s easy and quick. I don’t ever get the smoker out for steak or burgers or chicken breast, they come out great on the grill.

I have a portable Weber Q 120 hooked up to Big Cylinder. Cast iron grate. Works great for burgers, chicken breasts and steaks. Small cooks.

Green Mountain Daniel Boone Pellet Grill. Love it. 28 lbs. of Green Mountain Pellets were $14.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I milked every season I could out of my old CharBroil but now. it's time to replace it.

I know Weber is considered the best of the best but has anyone bought a non Weber brand lately from a big box store and been happy? I'll probably end up with a Weber but wanted to see if there is another brand I should strongly consider. Given current times spending $800+ on a grill when you could spend $400 and get just as good of one is something to look at.

TL;DR....Gas grill recommendations...go
I have a Weber Genesis Gas, about 700.00 5 years ago, a weber charcoal smokey Joe, less than 50.00 and a masterbuilt electric smoker that I use an amazen smoke tube or maze in to generate smoke. This is the smoke shack I made for year round smoking. I use a two wheeler to move it around. It sits outside all summer and wheel it out of the garage in the winter.

Smokey Joe goes out when you put the lid all the way on. The others are just fine. If you buy gas get plenty of BTUs per square inch. (dont buy a 2 burner Weber, I know people who have)

Attachments

• 20200105_083439.jpg
    20200105_083439.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200105_083511.jpg
    20200105_083511.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200105_083649.jpg
    20200105_083649.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: JP4CY

ISUConE

Feb 1, 2019
Does anyone have an infrared grill similar to this?

There are plenty of options like this brand, some cheap and some very expensive. Just looking for another way to try to cook a steak or burgers. Some say this is how high end restaurants cook their steaks, with much more expensive equipment I’m sure.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bought a cheapish Charbroil Electric Grill the other day.

After one use,
Likes: not very smoky, nice not having to mess with gas or charcoal.

Dislikes: seemed to take a while to warm up and I feel like cooking chicken or something will take a while.

Should get the job done for the most part.

Help Support Us

Become a patron