Grills, Grills, Grills

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I milked every season I could out of my old CharBroil but now. it's time to replace it.

I know Weber is considered the best of the best but has anyone bought a non Weber brand lately from a big box store and been happy? I'll probably end up with a Weber but wanted to see if there is another brand I should strongly consider. Given current times spending $800+ on a grill when you could spend $400 and get just as good of one is something to look at.

TL;DR....Gas grill recommendations...go

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I went through two cheap grills before I finally shelled out the money for a Weber. One of the best things about a Weber is that the frame and main unit are built to last and that replacement parts are actually really cheap compared to other brands. The other reason I would go with a Weber is that you can really control the temp and they don't flame up.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I went through two cheap grills before I finally shelled out the money for a Weber. One of the best things about a Weber is that the frame and main unit are built to last and that replacement parts are actually really cheap compared to other brands. The other reason I would go with a Weber is that you can really control the temp and they don't flame up.

Kettle?

CloneKing

Apr 5, 2020
Ankeny
Drip pan has given out on my Charbroil. I've triple foiled it to get through the year. I've changed the burners and flavor savers 3x already on it. Going on 8 years old so its lived a hard life. I also have a pellet grill. I will probably look at the Spirit or the Genesis series from Weber next time around. I still like having a gasser around.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
My gas grill died a couple weeks back but I used my Trump bucks to replace it with a Traeger not another gas. I had a Weber though for 6 years I think before it died.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

yep. I think I’ve had mine for 8+ years and running great. Best investment.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I would go pellet.

I would go both. I love my Traeger but for a lot of things a good propane grill does perfect and it’s easy and quick. I don’t ever get the smoker out for steak or burgers or chicken breast, they come out great on the grill.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
This thing blows away pellet grills/smokers.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560

Do you have one of those? This is my first time seeing it and this is something my uncle and I have discussed for a long time. Pellet smoker but with charcoal.

My concern has always been the storage of the charcoal and it all heating up/lighting immediately in a big vat like that. This looks ******* slick though. Not sure about the electronics on it either. That looks like a normal computer fan plus the temp gauge/thermometer doesn't look that heavy duty.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
America's Test Kitchen says the weber spirit is the best gas grill under $500.

I don't much care for gas grills, but a friend of uses one. He asked me what to get for a gas grill when he needed a new one. Me being a person who doesn't use them so I have little knowledge based on experience, I just sent him this video as they do a very thorough test on all the things they recommend. (I have bought many kitchen tools on their recommendation and am very happy). They dont sell out to sponsors by giving better reviews for money.

He bought based on their recommendation and is very happy.

I would also recommend getting a good instant read meat thermometer for grilling as it is nearly impossible to get consistent results without one. I have a thermoworks mk4. These are a little pricey ($100) but a great tool. A excellant alternative that I also own for camping trips and things is the Thermopop ($34) also made by thermo works. Slightly slower temp reads take 3-4 seconds vs 1-2 with the mk4, but just as accurate.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I half expected this to be a thread about something Caleb did.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron