Greatest Cyclone Quarterback

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've been following since '96, pointless for me to comment before then.

Seneca to me is the best by a tad over Purdy, but Purdy is getting better results because we have better teams and team culture now. Very good chance Purdy could still take it to the next level and become #1.

Seneca
Purdy
Sage
Meyer
Lanning (not used correctly at QB by either coach, he's all conference if Snyder coached him)
Arnaud

Those are the times I can remember being pleased with QB position.

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
If you get the ball with 3 mins left and need a game winning drive, I'd take Seneca every single tiime..... no question.

Purdy still has a ways to go to gain my confidence in that scenario.

The scenario that I would prefer Seneca is being down 24-7 at halftime on the road in a hostile environment and needing some crazy skill plays from the QB to will the team to victory. I have no problems trusting Purdy on a game winning drive. They are both great, but for the time being I would still call Seneca the GOAT for ISU quarterbacks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
How high on the list is Jacob Park?

I don’t think he’s even on the list—but when I looked through the record book, I was kinda surprised to see how high Park’s name was on some of the single game marks. High enough to be there for a while.

This is great. I think Aclone may have missed the joke, but then came right back around to it.

Unless a joke wasn't intended...it's still great.

Reactions: dosry5

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For the record I think Park's throw was about as on a rope that I've seen at ISU when he was all there.

Purdy will own the statistics. Let's see if he gets better fundamentally and gets the long ball down. The 'underthrows long balls' thing is accurate.

• Useful
Reactions: C-Clone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not if he doesn't clean up his costly turnovers.

I agree he will go down as one of the Cyclone greats, but not at the top if he can't protect the football better. Crucial turnovers at crucial times.

Don't look at Sage and Seneca's numbers if you want to talk turnovers.

Purdy will easily do down as the best Cyclone QB ever and it won't be close

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The scenario that I would prefer Seneca is being down 24-7 at halftime on the road in a hostile environment and needing some crazy skill plays from the QB to will the team to victory.

Reminds me of Purdy at Oklahoma. Crazy that a two point conversion is what separates a historic performance from how it was remembered

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Gotta come up with some criteria first. If we're just going by stats, Brock will win this in a landslide. The people who've said Sage are basis that on his pro career because his college career was good but not great.

And comparing players like Amudson across eras is very difficult to do.

Really it comes down to Wins. Does he lead the team to victory while performing at an all conference rate?

Maybe the people saying Sage are basing it on wins like you say they should, given the fact that he led us to a school-record 9 win season? Just a thought.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Maybe the people saying Sage are basing it on wins like you say they should, given the fact that he led us to a school-record 9 win season? Just a thought.

Possible. He didn't perform at an all-conference level though (to my knowledge). Also only had 13 wins as a starter his whole career. Brock already has more than that

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Not if he doesn't clean up his costly turnovers.

I agree he will go down as one of the Cyclone greats, but not at the top if he can't protect the football better. Crucial turnovers at crucial times.
Seneca Wallace threw 27 interceptions in 2 years (18 in 2002). Brock threw 16 the past 2 years (9 last year). He protects the ball better than Seneca.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Look at who they beat. All 2, 3, and 4 win teams in 2000. They didn’t beat anyone notable and lost to the couple decent teams they played. Last years team would have won 9+ games with that 2000 schedule without question.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Seneca Wallace threw 27 interceptions in 2 years (18 in 2002). Brock threw 16 the past 2 years (9 last year). He protects the ball better than Seneca.

All I know is that Purdy cost us the Alamo Bowl and the Iowa game last year with TO's. Those are just the two that come to mind right off the top of my head. He did save us the UNI loss by jumping on a fumble though.

There was another game, besides the Alamo Bowl, where Purdy came out and threw 2 INT's on our first two possessions, I just can't remember which one it was now? We may have even come back to win that game, I can't remember?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
All I know is that Purdy cost us the Alamo Bowl and the Iowa game last year with TO's. Those are just the two that come to mind right off the top of my head. He did save us the UNI loss by jumping on a fumble though.

There was another game, besides the Alamo Bowl, where Purdy came out and threw 2 INT's on our first two possessions, I just can't remember which one it was now? We may have even come back to win that game, I can't remember?

You have a very selective memory

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Plenty of blame for both of those losses to just pin it on Purdy.

• Agree
Reactions: RING4CY