Google One - VPN?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I just upgraded my storage plan thru Google and it comes with a VPN service. VPNs are something I just haven't learned much about and really don't understand that much when it comes to that topic. Is the VPN I now have access to something I should just turn on with my phone and let it run? Is it worth the benefits it claims to offer? Again...I have little knowledge on this subject and any simple advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I just upgraded my storage plan thru Google and it comes with a VPN service. VPNs are something I just haven't learned much about and really don't understand that much when it comes to that topic. Is the VPN I now have access to something I should just turn on with my phone and let it run? Is it worth the benefits it claims to offer? Again...I have little knowledge on this subject and any simple advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I had one on my phone with Google Fi but had to turn it off. Sports betting apps won't work with it.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I had one on my phone with Google Fi but had to turn it off. Sports betting apps won't work with it.

I read the explainer and there was an item about turning it on and off for specific sites...that did not seem welcoming but if it is worthy and offers a lot of security then I don't want to just ignore it. I have Google Fi as well.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Google having a VPN is sus as hell.

Honestly I wouldn't use it at all, the whole point of the VPN is to have some level of disguise as to what you're doing.

If you end up really wanting a good VPN, mullvad is the best one and only $5p/m

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Honestly I wouldn't use it at all, the whole point of the VPN is to have some level of disguise as to what you're doing.

Yeah the company that has made the majority of its cash selling your information will now help hide it? Sure.....

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

When I saw the thread title, that was the first thing I thought. No chance would I use it.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I read the explainer and there was an item about turning it on and off for specific sites...that did not seem welcoming but if it is worthy and offers a lot of security then I don't want to just ignore it. I have Google Fi as well.
VPNs are great for security and I wouldn't sweat having to turn it on and off. It will work on almost every site out there. The sports gambling example is a bit different as those sites have strict limitations on where they can be used. Most sites don't care much about geography.

That said, I would not use a Google based VPN. The purpose of a VPN is to disguise your traffic. Google makes their dollars watching your traffic.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This is one of the dumbest I’ve ever heard of. So you just funnel everything through google, so they now capture everything they don’t already get.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Great and honest question, you did nothing wrong.

The answer though on this will be pretty uniform - stay away from Google for services like VPN where they are in the literal opposite business of it's intended purpose.

Thanks! This is the kind of answer I was hoping to hear. I wasn't really in search of security but since the "offer" of the VPN comes with the storage I thought I might ask about it. Again, thanks!

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Thanks! This is the kind of answer I was hoping to hear. I wasn't really in search of security but since the "offer" of the VPN comes with the storage I thought I might ask about it. Again, thanks!

The only thing it would really be useful for would be location spoofing. Lots of people use it with Netflix so they can get shows not offered in their country. (however usually this is more of an issue with Europeans+ American shows and not vice versa)

• Useful
Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The only thing it would really be useful for would be location spoofing. Lots of people use it with Netflix so they can get shows not offered in their country. (however usually this is more of an issue with Europeans+ American shows and not vice versa)

Thanks for that info! Probably a bit over my head or needs?

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
I also don’t know much about VPN’s, but I believe I’ve heard people utilize using one for blackouts when it comes to watching their favorite/local MLB/NBA broadcasts?

• Agree
Reactions: ISUcyclones11

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron