Gonzaga Rumors/Vote

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Go ahead and hate me. The houston UCF and Cincinnati adds are questionable. Should have waited and hit the 4 corners hard.

We couldn't just sit at 8 and no one knew at the time that UCLA/USC would be leaving. None of the four corners schools were leaving before then. Hell it's still not sure that they will now even with those teams gone

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Go ahead and hate me. The houston UCF and Cincinnati adds are questionable. Should have waited and hit the 4 corners hard.
Those adds solidified the conference. No way that the Hateful 8 negotiate from that position of power.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Isn’t the vote Monday?

I just hope we vote no. Awful idea. No reason to split the pot with them.
I personally don’t care one way or the other. I do understand looking at the possibility though. Trying to find ways to get more brands and eyeballs on the Big12.

Also we wouldn’t be splitting the pot with them. They would come for basketball only and our payments would likely stay the same if not go up a minimal amount. Fox/ESPN would have to agree to adding and paying for them obviously.

Reactions: I@ST1

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
They've been really good under Mark Few. But he's not going to coach forever. So how confident are you that Gonzaga is a perennial program and not just a team with a good coach that stuck around? Seems risky to give them a permanent invitation when there isn't a guarantee they'll be a good program when he leaves.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I wish this was possible. Maybe it’s far fetched, but the PAC just as well could’ve poached those schools. Or hell maybe they grab TTU, OSU, Baylor, TCU. I think we had to act first

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
People said that about TCU and look how that turned out.

Hmm I think they have proved they belong.

TCU benefitted from a huge influx in cash flow, primarily as a result of their football program. Gonzaga would only get revenue from the basketball contract, which is significantly lower than football. Because of the financial disadvantage, I don't know that a basketball only school can compete in a power 5 conference. When a team jumps to a higher conference there has to be upgrades in facilities and salaries. That just won't be available for a basketball only team.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
TCU benefitted from a huge influx in cash flow, primarily as a result of their football program. Gonzaga would only get revenue from the basketball contract, which is significantly lower than football. Because of the financial disadvantage, I don't know that a basketball only school can compete in a power 5 conference. When a team jumps to a higher conference there has to be upgrades in facilities and salaries. That just won't be available for a basketball only team.

The Big East does just fine. Ya its not apples to apples, but they would be a solid add. I dont think it happens anyway.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Gonzaga draws TV ratings, hasn't missed an NCAA tournament this millennium, and most of the travel onus would be on them. I really don't know how I feel about it, but if the Big 12 plans on going coast to coast, and thinks it'll make them money, I can certainly see why they would do it.

The last time they didn't make it to the round of 32 was 2008. The last time they didn't make the Sweet 16 was 2014. Both are very good.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Isn’t the vote Monday?

I just hope we vote no. Awful idea. No reason to split the pot with them.
We'd be splitting a bigger pot with them. Adding the Zags for BB definitely add revenue. Is the bump worth adding a BB only??? IDK.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The Big East does just fine. Ya its not apples to apples, but they would be a solid add. I dont think it happens anyway.

Big East isn't a Power 5 conference. All of its members are on equal footing by being basketball only schools. It's the financial disparity that I'd be concerned about causing the basketball only schools from falling behind with facilities, effecting their ability to compete.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Big East isn't a Power 5 conference. All of its members are on equal footing by being basketball only schools. It's the financial disparity that I'd be concerned about causing the basketball only schools from falling behind with facilities, effecting their ability to compete.

In basketball their is something called P6 and the Big East is in there.

Des Moines Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 24, 2021
They've been really good under Mark Few. But he's not going to coach forever. So how confident are you that Gonzaga is a perennial program and not just a team with a good coach that stuck around? Seems risky to give them a permanent invitation when there isn't a guarantee they'll be a good program when he leaves.
I agree. I worry about them falling off A LOT after Few retires

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
They'll only be added if they bring value based off feedback from TV partners. So if they're added then that's good news on that front. From a fan perspective, it would be fun to see them come to Hilton or see them play in Phog Allen.