Gonzaga Rumors/Vote

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Honestly, the end game here, IMO, is that the PAC takes San Diego State as an All Sports member, Air Force as a football only and Gonzaga to balance that as the All Sports.

Air Force moves their Olympic sports to The Valley (those talks have been happening on and off for years) and we're done with major conference realignment until the Big Ten deal is up in the early 2030s.

Lastly, I've made this point before and I know it'll fall on deaf ears for lots of you but please, please take the time to educate yourself on the different levels of basketball outside the P6. Everything below the P6 isn't the same, there are well defined tiers.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
They get a one or two seed based on an inflated record
They also have 6 to 8 teams from Power 5 conferences in their non-conf schedule every year, of which they usually beat a majority of those teams.

That's why they get a high seed. If they were losing all those games then going 17-1 in the WCC they would get more in the 6-8 range instead of 1-3 like they normally do.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
They also have 6 to 8 teams from Power 5 conferences in their non-conf schedule every year, of which they usually beat a majority of those teams.

That's why they get a high seed. If they were losing all those games then going 17-1 in the WCC they would get more in the 6-8 range instead of 1-3 like they normally do.

Omg 6 to 8 power conference teams. In one season. Wow that’s crazy hard. I wonder if we’ve ever played close to that many power conference teams in one year.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
You’ve got to see how the landscape changes over the next 10-12 years before thinking of adding anyone outside the P5. Football drives revenue, which drives realignment. Basketball is nice, but it’s still an afterthought.

The B12 is on solid footing right now. The PAC is very wobbly at the moment, and the ACC very likely will be when their GOR is up. Virtually all of those 24 schools make more sense the Gonzaga, anyone from the Big East, or anyone outside the P5. The risk/reward isn’t there right now - if they flop, you’ve got a dud on your hands. If they hit, the conference is in the exact same spot.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Omg 6 to 8 power conference teams. In one season. Wow that’s crazy hard. I wonder if we’ve ever played close to that many power conference teams in one year.
Ok then genius, go look at how they normally have anywhere from 6-12 Quad 1 wins every year.

Just last year they had 11 Quad 1 wins which was tied for 2nd in college basktball. Those amount of wins plus their metrics and record will get them a high seed. It's not that hard of a concept.

Just this year they've played Michigan State, Texas, Kentucky, Purdue, Xavier, Baylor and Alabama. They are always playing the toughest non-conf in college basktball and winning a majority of those games to make up for the perceived weakness of playing in a mid-major conference.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Ok then genius, go look at how they normally have anywhere from 6-12 Quad 1 wins every year.

Just last year they had 11 Quad 1 wins which was tied for 2nd in college basktball. Those amount of wins plus their metrics and record will get them a high seed. It's not that hard of a concept.

Just this year they've played Michigan State, Texas, Kentucky, Purdue, Xavier, Baylor and Alabama. They are always playing the toughest non-conf in college basktball and winning a majority of those games to make up for the perceived weakness of playing in a mid-major conference.

Michigan St and Kentucky are extremely average teams this year. Purdue stomped Gonzaga, Texas blew them out, Baylor beat them.

They have a good win over Alabama, congrats so does OU. And it’s not the “perceived weakness” it is a weakness, Texas Tech would have the same record as Gonzaga if you put them in the WCC.

Reactions: Acer88

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Not a fan of the Gonzaga idea.

There is one idea out there that has been floated that is said to be a possibility. I don't know if there is actually some reality to it or not.

But some believe the idea is to add a few major powers as BB only schools, Gonzaga, Villanova, UConn, StJohns. Some even claim the goal with this is to move the Big12 Tournament to Madison Sq Garden, which I guess I can see it being a great thing for optics, but not great for those that love the location of KC etc.

I am not sure if this makes it better or worse.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Michigan St and Kentucky are extremely average teams this year. Purdue stomped Gonzaga, Texas blew them out, Baylor beat them.
Yeah, you're exactly right, and their seed will reflect that this year. They'll probably be a 4-6 this year instead of a 1-2 like they normally get. They usually make the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 also and have made a National Championship game appearance which further proves they deserve the seeds they are getting.

Houston is in a similar situation right now. You think if they were in the Big 12 this year they would be on Texas Techs level? This is just dumb, they'd be a 1 seed either way this year.

It's pretty obvious to anyone that has watched college basketball the last 10-15 years that they are one of the top programs in the sport but you act like they are Loyola moving to the A-10 this year.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yeah, you're exactly right, and their seed will reflect that this year. They'll probably be a 4-6 this year instead of a 1-2 like they normally get. They usually make the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 also and have made a National Championship game appearance which further proves they deserve the seeds they are getting.

Houston is in a similar situation right now. You think if they were in the Big 12 this year they would be on Texas Techs level? This is just dumb, they'd be a 1 seed either way this year.

It's pretty obvious to anyone that has watched college basketball the last 10-15 years that they are one of the top programs in the sport but you act like they are Loyola moving to the A-10 this year.

Just look at last year, Gonzaga gifted a one seed after a non-conf schedule that was wins over Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA and losses to Duke and Alabama, none of which were true road games. Then beat up on the WCC. So get the easy 16 seed matchup, then almost lose to a very average Memphis team and then go out to the first decent team they play in the tournament.

Rinse and repeat for undeserved sweet sixteen berth after undeserved sweet sixteen berth.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Either way it’s a gamble. It doesn’t matter what Gonzaga has been. If Few retires in the next 15 years (which is not that many years when expanding a conference) you are taking the gamble they continue being what they are. It’s a big risk/big reward deal. Could be a home run or it could be a colossal flop once Few leaves.
15 years from now the entire conference landscape will have changed. Once the ACC contract comes open those schools will be looking to move to the SEC or B10, the B12 must do everything they can to assure the TV networks that they continue to put up strong viewer value in the future, if that means adding Gonzaga then it will be worth it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Don't need to give Gonzaga relevance by being in a Power 5 conference. Hard NO for me.
Agree unless we are trying to assemble a gigantic bball only parallel league by adding the BigEast as well. If that is even something that makes any sense.

If Yormark wants to have a 24 team nationwide bball-only setup of some kind, then you would want the Zags I suppose. And football would stay at 12. Sort of like the way wrestling is set up with affiliate members. Its not a model ever really been used in a major college way. Maybe Yormark has a plan?

Otherwise, the Zags by themselves? No, nay, never.

Reactions: psycln11

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just look at last year, Gonzaga gifted a one seed after a non-conf schedule that was wins over Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA and losses to Duke and Alabama, none of which were true road games. Then beat up on the WCC. So get the easy 16 seed matchup, then almost lose to a very average Memphis team and then go out to the first decent team they play in the tournament.

Rinse and repeat for undeserved sweet sixteen berth after undeserved sweet sixteen berth.
Lol, imagine finishing 26-3, tied for 2nd with the most Quad 1 wins in the entire sport, winning your conference regular season and tourney championship and then getting an 8 seed because wait for it..........they simply needed to play more teams like Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

You have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

You also missed the fact that last year they played 8 Quad 1 games in their own conference. They won 7 of them.How is that possible if that conference is so terrible?

I guarantee you they had more Quad 1 wins in that conference than alot of Power 5 teams that made the Ncaa tourney. The Pac-12 and ACC were really bad last year.

Your takes are just horrible because they've proven time and time again they can beat the top teams in the sport in both the non- conf and the Ncaa tourney.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Ok, let's say instead of finishing 29-4(18-0) like they normally do they join the Big 12 and finish 25-8(13-5) with multiple non-conf Quad 1-A wins.

What seed do you think they get in those scenarios? Because those are still #1 or #2 seed numbers coming out of the best conference in the sport.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
This isn't Gonzaga related but I saw some BYU fan on twitter state that ISU was the "only school that was against BYU joining the Big 12"
Which I don't think is true at all.... but I'm curious if anyone else saw/heard anything about that.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Currently they are in a conference with little known BB power outside of Gonzaga. Albeit a small gym - a few thousand less than Duke. Inviting them into the Big 12 or any possible conference further strengthens their brand immediately with financial backing. I would not move in that direction. I believe there are other longer term “one sport” national schools that would be a much stronger add-in.
Currently their conference is faith based institutions.
They are good in baseball.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This isn't Gonzaga related but I saw some BYU fan on twitter state that ISU was the "only school that was against BYU joining the Big 12"
Which I don't think is true at all.... but I'm curious if anyone else saw/heard anything about that.
My guess is they are referring to the Student Gov. complaints, Not anything officially from the AD or University.

That was the only thing I heard about. Was a push by some students against it. And the story made the rounds nationally.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
15 years from now the entire conference landscape will have changed. Once the ACC contract comes open those schools will be looking to move to the SEC or B10, the B12 must do everything they can to assure the TV networks that they continue to put up strong viewer value in the future, if that means adding Gonzaga then it will be worth it.
That’s why I said it’s a massive gamble that could be looked back as genius or incredibly stupid. Glad I don’t have to make that decision.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
My guess is they are referring to the Student Gov. complaints, Not anything officially from the AD or University.

That was the only thing I heard about. Was a push by some students against it. And the story made the rounds nationally.

Thankfully no one gives a **** about what a student orgnization thinks.

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023

They basically became a meme on the college football Reddit back in expansion times lol

Reactions: 2speedy1

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
There were some fans on here who reacted negatively to the possibility of BYU based on the stuff that happened when we went out and beat them in the Ejim double bird game.