***General Cycling Thread***

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Bump.

Where everybody at?

I'm way behind my usual mileage pace for my seasonal fitness rides. Weather's not cooperated with the wind blowing like crazy all of June. I'm in decent shape for a very senior biker but not in biking shape and not getting into bike shape very quickly. Hard to judge when it seems to be gusting into the 20's and 30's every damn day. Maybe I just got old over the winter. Or both.
Same here with lower than usual miles because of the wind but I've been going out more recently regardless. I do have a Peloton and have really worked it religiously even this summer. Planning a 60 mile ride next week for 60th birthday.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Same here with lower than usual miles because of the wind but I've been going out more recently regardless. I do have a Peloton and have really worked it religiously even this summer. Planning a 60 mile ride next week for 60th birthday.

60? You're just a kid. ;)

I did get in 25 miles which is in my 20-25 mile average for general fitness rides.

Reactions: RoseClone

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Bump.

Where everybody at?

I'm way behind my usual mileage pace for my seasonal fitness rides. Weather's not cooperated with the wind blowing like crazy all of June. I'm in decent shape for a very senior biker but not in biking shape and not getting into bike shape very quickly. Hard to judge when it seems to be gusting into the 20's and 30's every damn day. Maybe I just got old over the winter. Or both.

I’m way behind on my normal miles. In my scenario kids schedules and work are my major blockers. I’m not back into my pre Covid routine of bringing bike with me and fitting in rides when I can regardless of where I am. Need to learn how to plan and multi task again!

Hoping to get some decent miles over the next couple of weeks.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
I’m way behind on my normal miles. In my scenario kids schedules and work are my major blockers. I’m not back into my pre Covid routine of bringing bike with me and fitting in rides when I can regardless of where I am. Need to learn how to plan and multi task again!

Hoping to get some decent miles over the next couple of weeks.
This is my problem too - and I even "coached" / led group rides for our local youth MTB club this spring. But having to stop every 5 minutes to wait for "less fitness" riders doesn't help much.

I rode Trestle bike park (Winter Park) for the 1st time this weekend and whoa that was fun.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I normally go out around 5-5:30 am while it's somewhat cool. The past few morning though the humidity has been awful. Love going out at that time as it's a lot easier to ride the streets of Ames. Had flat the other morning 8 miles out of town. That sucked!! I have a great neighbor that services our bikes for us. I got home and he was outside and asked what happened. He just went into his garage and gave me a complete tire and rim combo to put on and that he would fix my tire.

I spent $85 for tune up at Skunk River a couple of years ago on my bike. My neighbor took both of our bikes and couple hours later we had them back. He told me my rear tire wasn't seated properly and that rear derailler was out of wack. My wife's front tire was out of balance and he went and adjusted the spokes on it to bring it into balance. Couldn't ask for better service!

He gave me some tips on putting a tube on and how to seat it properly. I will say though, after he serviced our bikes, mine did ride a lot better.

Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've gotten in a lot less MTB than I'd like to this year. Just haven't gotten over to Decorah during the week much and have had a stupid amount of weddings and weekend obligations so far that have taken me out of it.

I got so used to the "no social obligations" part of COVID.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I'm way behind this year on miles...

Its important to support your local bike shop BTW if you can. Also, part of owning a bike is knowing your bike and how to do the basics like changing a tire, seating a tire, lubing.... and prevention of issues too. The amount of people that ride bikes and don't know how to replace a tube/patch is staggering. YT is a great resource.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloner29

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Does this thread include DM cycling or is there another thread for that? Either way...

noticed the Neal Smith is fully paved now, not "open" but everyone was just going around the blockades.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I do Strava. If there was a CF Strava group though my routes would look like those of how a lot of Hawk fans write... just a lot of crayon scribbles.
That’s fine. I haven’t been on my bike in like 4 weeks. It’s just fun when I do actually get on it. I’m in a few groups now. I think you might need to pay to make a new group but you can join them without the pay option.

Everyone who rides should be on Strava. If you’re not you’re missing out.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That’s fine. I haven’t been on my bike in like 4 weeks. It’s just fun when I do actually get on it. I’m in a few groups now. I think you might need to pay to make a new group but you can join them without the pay option.

I'm a George Thorogood biker.

I ride alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I ride alone
I prefer to be by myself

My same age peers are WAY too slow for me to ride with. My much younger biking friends are too fast for me to ride with and me too slow for them. With that said, it would be nice to somehow find some similar speed peeps to do a longer weekend ride with.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I'm a George Thorogood biker.

I ride alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I ride alone
I prefer to be by myself

My same age peers are WAY too slow for me to ride with. My much younger biking friends are too fast for me to ride with and me too slow for them.
this is a virtual Strava “club” that just tracks miles per week and elevation. It ranks the participants but if you’re not active it doesn’t make a difference.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

I sync to strava, but I prefer Cyclemeter when I’m riding.

I’m also way behind on miles. Wet June here and still figuring out how to get out consistently with 1.5 year old.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Are Strava clubs for subscription peeps only or open at the freebee level? Map My Ride made everything but your individual stats subscription. Just kept that on my phone because it was what I was used to using for running/biking.