***General Cycling Thread***

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
A year ago I would have told you you were nuts. My fiance would go ride while I was playing golf and that seemed like a really good setup. Here we are, a year later, with multiple friends already taking the hobby on and now I'm pretty convinced I should. So, first thing is the bike. I would like something that is good enough that it helps me like the sport, but my budget is probably in the $1500 range with the idea that if I truly like doing it and do it enough, I'll upgrade quickly if I want to. The brands most accessible to me are Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. Anybody have any pieces of advice or knowledge for me as I equip myself?

Reactions: mynameisjonas

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
A year ago I would have told you you were nuts. My fiance would go ride while I was playing golf and that seemed like a really good setup. Here we are, a year later, with multiple friends already taking the hobby on and now I'm pretty convinced I should. So, first thing is the bike. I would like something that is good enough that it helps me like the sport, but my budget is probably in the $1500 range with the idea that if I truly like doing it and do it enough, I'll upgrade quickly if I want to. The brands most accessible to me are Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. Anybody have any pieces of advice or knowledge for me as I equip myself?
What kind of riding are you planning on doing?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Forgot that. Hard surface road and bike trail. More of a workout than a leisure activity.

You can get a decent road bike in that price range. I have a Giant road bike in that price range and it's great. I'm sure others will feel differently, but I think if you are just looking to ride for leisure/exercise you are going to get plenty of bike in that range regardless of brand. I would just go in to a bike store and talk to them. Every bike store I've been to has always been real helpful and will let you ride the bike before you buy to see how it feels and get the size right.

Reactions: aauummm

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Forgot that. Hard surface road and bike trail. More of a workout than a leisure activity.
So I've been on an older trek road bike, carbon forks and seat post with aluminum frame and ridden up to 100 miles on it. You should get a free bike fit with a new purchase, bike fit is extremely important. If you like riding you may want to move to carbon frame later.

I highly suggest getting clipless pedals and shoes, bib shorts with a good chamois, cycling jersey, and lights, pump, tubes, patch kit. This isn't stuff you necessarily need as a beginner, but there's a reason people are willing to look like dorks in spandex.
Look for shimano 105 for gearing in that price range. Brand is tough as everyone has their preferred brand, any of those 3 should work.
Seat you'll want to upgrade at some point, pedals and seats generally stick with you and not the bike.

If you're upgrading soon after liking it, something like the specialized allez would be great as well with the shimano Claris components. Not as good as 105 but pretty good.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I am just getting into it as well. I recently purchased a Motobecane gravel bike. It is good for roads, gravel, and fairly smooth trails. You won't be using it to jump logs or anything like that but it is great for what I am looking to do. It was cheaper than your price range ($600).
I did buy it just before COVID started up. So I have had to rely on my own "expertise" on assembly and adjustments. I would like to take it to a bike shop for a tune up so they can dial it in but the wait is currently weeks long.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Where do you live, the brand is not as important as your bike shop.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
We are in a bike boom right now so don’t expect any discounts buying new. How tall are you and what’s you limit on price. I’ll see what I can do.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We are in a bike boom right now so don’t expect any discounts buying new. How tall are you and what’s you limit on price. I’ll see what I can do.

6'1. I'd say my limit is $1500ish but I've been talking myself higher so that I have a really solid bike that I don't want to upgrade very soon.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
First, if you are riding with friends, get a bike that accommodates that style/event...otherwise you wont enjoy getting dropped and will lose interest. If your friends are doing road and trail, get a road bike...HOWEVER, the most flexible design and all around bike, for the most part, is a gravel type bike...Diverge or Checkpoints are great. Surly has a gravel bike... with this setup, you can get a second wheel set for wide tires and another set for road tires.and then you have the best of both worlds. Gravel is a blast btw...more fun than road and trails...less cars and rookies. I do a lot by myself too. Very peaceful riding a level B in the middle of nowhere. Lots of gravel races these days if you have an interest in that too. Kyles in Ankeny is a great place to start.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
First, if you are riding with friends, get a bike that accommodates that style/event...otherwise you wont enjoy getting dropped and will lose interest. If your friends are doing road and trail, get a road bike...HOWEVER, the most flexible design and all around bike, for the most part, is a gravel type bike...Diverge or Checkpoints are great. Surly has a gravel bike... with this setup, you can get a second wheel set for wide tires and another set for road tires.and then you have the best of both worlds. Gravel is a blast btw...more fun than road and trails...less cars and rookies. I do a lot by myself too. Very peaceful riding a level B in the middle of nowhere. Lots of gravel races these days if you have an interest in that too. Kyles in Ankeny is a great place to start.
To each their own. In no scenario in my mind is gravel riding more fun than trail riding

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I'll echo the other comments on going to a good local bike shop.

I have an older model of the Cannondale Synapse with Shimano 105 that I bought from a local shop 5+ years ago.

I wasn't set on a particular brand but have been very happy with it as my first real road bike. I actually bought it slightly used after someone put 100 miles on it and exchanged it for something else, so I saved a few hundred bucks. More reason to visit your local bike shop.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've never ridden gravel, but man there are some things that jump out at me as not being so great. Maybe not as much road traffic, but when a vehicle goes bye aren't you eating dust? Also, it would terrify me going on a hill knowing that whatever vehicle on the other side of the hill that may be coming can't see me. Some people drive like maniacs on gravel roads and they are not as wide as paved roads.

• Winner
Reactions: Remo Gaggi