GAYLE SAYERS

kcbob79clone

RIP Gayle

I am old enough to have been alive when Gayle Sayers was being recruited out of high school. Iowa had him in the bag, Gayle wanted to go to Iowa. But on his official visit Gayle was upset that the head coach at the time, Jerry Burns I think it was, never visited with him once. Gayle then decided to go to KU.

• Informative
Reactions: GT25Ump

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I actually got to work with Sayers company from a professional perspective. He was every bit the gentleman that people say he was. I'll never forget a meeting I attended where he was sitting a couple seats over with his notebook open asking questions about IT solutions.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
RIP Gayle

I am old enough to have been alive when Gayle Sayers was being recruited out of high school. Iowa had him in the bag, Gayle wanted to go to Iowa. But on his official visit Gayle was upset that the head coach at the time, Jerry Burns I think it was, never visited with him once. Gayle then decided to go to KU.
He had a high school teammate that took a visit to KU and they both decided to go there. Glad he never was a Hok, I'm sure he would have faced a lot of discrimination over there, and would not have become the great player he became.

Reactions: kcbob79clone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wasn't alive during his playing years but any film of him is really great and I know he was 77 but it's still sad when the great ones on and off the field go.

Oh and **** 2020.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I saw Gale Sayers play against my old high school and on the first play from scrimmage Gale went around the right side of Omaha Central's Offense and went all the way down the field for a touchdown....

Gale Sayers could run faster sideways than most running backs could run straight ahead....

Gale also held the Longest Run from scrimmage in a Big 8 conference game at 96 yards, when KU played the Nebraska CornHuskers in Lincoln (1964 I think)....

RIP Gale Sayers ....You are one of the greatest to ever play the game of football....

As a sidenote.... On Saturday...On TV, an Omaha Station of course, they announced that Gale was going to play football at Kansas U and on Monday Morning the powers that be at the Univ of Nebraska FIRED Bill Jennings and then went on the HIRE Bob Devaney.....Nebraska then of course went from being a Big LOSER to a Natl Champ Winner.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Sawyers originally committed to Iowa State, but changed his mind and went to Kansas - (probably the same reason Wilt Chamberlain decided to go to Kansas) :)

The reason Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain went to Kansas was for MONEY...KU paid him to play for the Jayhawks.....As Andrea would say, "Typical"........

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy and Lineup

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
Sawyers originally committed to Iowa State, but changed his mind and went to Kansas - (probably the same reason Wilt Chamberlain decided to go to Kansas) :)
who is Sawyers?

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The Bears play their next game at the Falcons at noon on Sunday. It should be interesting to see what they do in honor of Sayers. I hope David Montgomery has a great game - that'd be a nice tribute to Sayers!

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and Lineup

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
I can still remember seeing Sayers jukin' and cutting waiting for Mike Ditka to arrive downfield to wipe out the defense.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Iowa State can at least claim the high road by refusing to pay his asking price for securing the commitment. Times have changed as the asking price back then was supposedly to replace the bald tires on the clunker car that he was driving. Sayers joked that if he had been born later, he would have bargained for a new car rather than replacement tires.

Reactions: CyBobby