Gaming/Internet Help?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Probably Cat5e these days (turbo Cat5 basically), but close enough. Cat5e and cat6 is dirt cheap these days and will vastly exceed any common person's home needs. But you're right, buy them as cheap as possible. There's very little variance in quality and no reason buy expensive cables for this job.
Man, my days of working at Radio Shack and selling Monster Cables feels like a lie!!!!! But I made hella rifs

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Best Buy price matches Amazon at least.

True, though for some of the higher profit items, wires in particular, theyre often running either store-brand items or slightly different products so that you can't price match those.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
True, though for some of the higher profit items, wires in particular, theyre often running either store-brand items or slightly different products so that you can't price match those.
Yeah cables you have to get online for sure.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Tell him that at 28 yrs old, quit your bee-otching, get a job, move out and do WTF ever you want.
giphy.gif

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If the the rest of your electronics in the house are using wifi just move the modem to his room so he can hard wire into it and if you need to upgrade your wifi to reach the other devices then that is better than some of the alternatives. Otherwise if it is possible move the modem somewhere in the house where it is feasible to run some cable into his room somehow. I'm not a gamer myself but anyone who is serious about gaming will notice a difference playing over WiFi vs hard wired into their internet connection.

That's one thing if I were to ever build a new house (which I hope I never have to do) I would wire Ethernet ports to any place in the house that may have a device that will connect to the internet so basically every bedroom, living room where your entertainment devices will be at, basement, etc. Wire it all into a multimedia closet in your basement and enjoy stable connectivity. Have friends that did that and are glad they did

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
  1. Move the modem to his room and have him plug his computer directly into it with an ethernet cable (fat phone cord looking wire)
  2. Use WIFI extenders to provide WIFI coverage to the rest of the house.
  3. Like someone else said, tell the noob to quit complaining.
H

Reactions: ISUKyro

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

IIRC some stores used to make huge orders of like items that have a slightly different model number.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'm somewhat surprised to see so many recommendations for power line adapters around here lately. I have an 8 year old house and tried a couple of these with little luck. I have a 1 gig fiber connection to the house, but the powering adapter was only getting 10 to 15 megs. Maybe the product has improved since I tried it. I eventually caved and ran ethernet to the location I needed.
They're fickle devices related to how the house is wired and jumping circuits and all kinds of stuff. In my last apartment they didn't work across different rooms at all. Couldn't use them in a meaningful way. In my current apartment, I use a pair everyday to go from my router downstairs to my PC in my loft and can push full speed (60-70 Mbps) no problem and minimal latency difference. They definitely don't work for everyone, but in cases where they do work, they are often easier to work with than running cable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron