Game Thoughts Oklahoma State

CycloneBamaFan

Nov 6, 2018
I was thinking, can we get 4 more wins and get in a bowl? Maybe. Cincinnati, Baylor, BYU are possible wins. Other likely wins are KSU, but we need to play our best game. Kansas looks like a tough team.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
No way. They were in man and that is a common play. That is on the player.
A LB covering a RB on a pass play is a recipe for disaster. A TO should have been called and when the coaches rewatch that on the film they will be kicking themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and 83cy

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
We're down at LB and DE. I thought the lanky freshmen DEs added an element that we're not getting from Peterson, although I though he was better this week. Bacon should be starting at LB. Gundy's been a thorn in Heacock's side for years. They were really effective at baiting our outside contain to crash too early. We weren't disciplined at all out there, which is out of character. Our blitzes are still lacking. It was a little better today. Luckily Bowman is a bum. I'm not too worried about the D, but I was hoping for more from the young LBs this season.

Outside of the consistently awful offensive line, I thought LB was easily the weakest position on the team last year. We lacked a speed, toughness, and reeds from the position. Vance was not very good and I didn't think Vaughn was much better. Reeder was the best of the group but battled injuries.

LB is one of the toughest positions to play in our defense as we rely on them to properly fill gaps AND drop into coverage. Throw in the occasional blitzing and you have a lot of cerebral information to process. We had two frosh and now McLaughlin starting, meaning Vaughn really needs to be a leader out there. Instead, Vaughn was absolutely terrible.

We need more instinction, more plays, and less mistakes from this group. I've noticed...especially with Vaughn yesterday, that the LBs tend to crash their holes without vision, and don't use their hands/arms to maintain separation from blockers. Vaughn simply crashed into the blocker with his shoulder, making himself an easy block, losing contain, and completely losing site of the play. If he comes up to fill that gap and uses his hands, even if he initially compromises contain, he at least gives himself a chance to see the play, shed the blocker, and blow it up.

We need more sensibility from the position. That starts with the lone senior on the unit.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The "team" isn't bad, but based on Saturday I'd say Bowman is not "the answer" and their secondary, at best, needs to clean up some major communication issues. They blew a lot of coverages, making things much easier than they should have been.

If we give teams with competent QBs as much time as we afforded Bowman yesterday, it will be problematic. A good QB, all other things being equal, tears us apart.
As strong as our back four are, we need to be blitzing more in passing situations, yesterday we gave Bowman plenty of time, a better QB will make the throws that he was missing or throwing away. The guy is not nimble at all, and we should have been going after him.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84 and ZRF

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
OSU proved that everyone disparaging our players at skill positions (especially Rocco) were wrong. It also proved that Iowa and Ohio were both winnable if the coaching staff had opened up the offense.
They probably would have thrown the ball more against Iowa and Ohio if they would have liked our match-ups better. Thats what the game plan is based on. I don't buy the argument that Campbell is afraid to open the offense up, the staff just knows we don't have the players to be successful playing that way against most teams.

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Our D has had the occasional bad game but you have trust Heacock to adjust and the D to play well again. Bowman is what he is. Not all that great but has played a ton of games and can be serviceable.

In general I "trust" Heacock, but don't that defense will be sustainable against teams with better QBs. If the line can't generate some pressure we are going to have to mix in more (well disguised) blitzes.

Even great coverage isn't sustainable for 5+ seconds. We gave Bowman that on more than half his attempts. That's too much.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO the lack of sacks by opposing Defenses of Rocco is more due to Rocco’s ability to move. The pass blocking is less bad than the run blocking. But still needs a lot of work. Rocco is elusive and can throw on the move.

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

B787

Hates Money
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2018
Liked Noel's punt returns. Often overlooked is the importance, of not muffing. The one where he ran up and full speed late in the game, maybe saving 20 yds of roll.
This. Catching those short punts are just as good as catching it deep and returning the 20 yards. In terms of net yards, it’s the same.

It’s interesting that we don’t see more punt returns with two guys back anymore, short and deep returners. You see a fair amount of college punts range from 30 to 60 yards (even our own all world punter Tyler Perkins). Sprinting full speed to fair catch a 30 yard punt could be asking for trouble one day.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They probably would have thrown the ball more against Iowa and Ohio if they would have liked our match-ups better. Thats what the game plan is based on. I don't buy the argument that Campbell is afraid to open the offense up, the staff just knows we don't have the players to be successful playing that way against most teams.

It's hard to tell when they wait until halfway through the final quarter to open it up. And while I agree they may not have the players to open it up against most teams.........the first 4 on the schedule aren't those.

Regardless......it's painfully obvious they don't have the players to be successful the way Matt wants to play right now either. What to do? Play to their strengths. That's not running the ball right now.

IMO, they throw first, run second against Iowa and Ohio like they did yesterday.....there is a better than even chance ISU is 4-0.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Pretty easy to.pick a dialog to fit your desired narrative. How about this:

- if our linebacker doesn't get beat on a wheel route you eliminate a 70 yard play?
- if our OLB, DE, and CB do what is taught from 4th grade on (turn all running plays to the inside) u eliminate a 70 yard run?
- if our RB realizes that he doesn't have a first down and doesn't dive, then the ending is totally different.

The game is probably a 30ish to 15ish game.
I’m definitely not a Campbell hater whatsoever. I’m not pushing for his firing, so that isn’t a narrative I’m pushing for (if that’s what you’re insinuating).

Rather than schematic errors or misplays by the players (which happen to every coach for every team in every game) I was really focusing on game management decisions, which I thought was very lackluster yesterday. Gundy made some really boneheaded game management decisions too, so it was on both sides.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
A LB covering a RB on a pass play is a recipe for disaster. A TO should have been called and when the coaches rewatch that on the film they will be kicking themselves.
Or a safety adjusts because he recognized that was the match up.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Curious, do you trust Campbell to let Rocco just play, like he did with Brock in his first year?

Or will he revert to form, and turtle up if he ever gets up by ten points?

It took intensive pressure to get him to open it up yesterday, because at 1-3 with losses to bad teams it would have resulted in that seat REALLY heating up.

I think the more he sees of Rocco making the right decisions the more likely he keeps it up. I would, however, expect a conservative game plan against OU next week. Cause there’s a fine line between letting the kid throw and crushing his confidence against top talent teams. If the defense holds up, I think he tries to keep it close for the 4th qtr. if the defense gives up points early, he’ll give it a try sooner.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think the more he sees of Rocco making the right decisions the more likely he keeps it up. I would, however, expect a conservative game plan against OU next week. Cause there’s a fine line between letting the kid throw and crushing his confidence against top talent teams. If the defense holds up, I think he tries to keep it close for the 4th qtr. if the defense gives up points early, he’ll give it a try sooner.
ISU will continue next week trying to run through a brick wall, and getting stuffed. WRers running routes short of the sticks, and the Oline will not hold up. OU will go back to their country trey play, pulling the backside guard and tackle and have success running the ball enough to open up their passing game.

Unless OU has 3 to 4 turnovers, this will be a 35-10 game.

Now what we should do is come out spreading the field, attack their defense with the pass, running RPO with the QB actually running the ball. On defense, attack the LOS and force OU to do things they do not want to do.

• Agree

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I was thinking, can we get 4 more wins and get in a bowl? Maybe. Cincinnati, Baylor, BYU are possible wins. Other likely wins are KSU, but we need to play our best game. Kansas looks like a tough team.
At BYU will be tough. I like our chances against Kansas at home over that game in Provo

• Agree

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
ISU will continue next week trying to run through a brick wall, and getting stuffed. WRers running routes short of the sticks, and the Oline will not hold up. OU will go back to their country trey play, pulling the backside guard and tackle and have success running the ball enough to open up their passing game.

Unless OU has 3 to 4 turnovers, this will be a 35-10 game.

Now what we should do is come out spreading the field, attack their defense with the pass, running RPO with the QB actually running the ball. On defense, attack the LOS and force OU to do things they do not want to do.
Agree

It’s clear the staff got caught treating the Ohio game as practice for the **** offense they want to run, and it cost them a W. Just another needless pillow fight in a game in which the staff knew our defense would keep us in the game

We’ve known for 6 seasons our offensive talent looks “better” the more points our defense gives up.

In reality, that talent is just less marginalized by the staff in these type of games. Most of our Ok St matchups the last 8 seasons looked like yesterday

I can only imagine how much better they’d be with a staff that coached offense at a high level, and they used non-conference as a time to master how we need to play

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Defense gave up two huge plays they normally don’t…granted one was an awful scheme (cannot have a LB on a WR with no safety help) and the other was poor tackling/angles. But the defense is fine. We cannot expect to give up 9-13 points each and every week, which is why it was very important the offense take the steps they did yesterday.
Defense had a bad game. Bowman over threw 3 wide open recievers for tds. Lots of wide open recievers all over the field yesterday. Leaving Bacon on Nixon without safety help was inexcusable.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Agree with this, but also if Bacon realizes he’s being put out on an island like that he needs to give a big cushion and concede the short pass. He was way too tight to the line at the snap.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
IMO the lack of sacks by opposing Defenses of Rocco is more due to Rocco’s ability to move. The pass blocking is less bad than the run blocking. But still needs a lot of work. Rocco is elusive and can throw on the move.
119 pass attempts without a sack is a lot. Rocco has decent elusiveness but it’s not possible to have no sacks with that many attempts without very good pass protection. As a reference at the rate Purdy got sacked as a senior he would’ve likely been sacked 6.2 times after 119 attempts. That’s a huge difference, and I’m skeptical it can be explained that Rocco is far more elusive and able to make quick decisions than Sr Purdy.

But regardless of how it’s happening it’s a very good sign.

Reactions: cycloneworld
Dec 12, 2020
At the end of the day....we won........
Worst OKY ST. team I've seen in a long time....but.....we won!!

Dumb question.....
There were 2 songs I really liked after the Juicy Wiggle....any idea what they are called...
Would like them on my play list....