Game of Thrones (Re)read Thread

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Every year, when the new season of Game of Thrones begins, I get the urge to reread the books.

I'll be heading into what I think is reading #9 of the first book (GoT), which will result in reread #7 of Clash of Kings, #5 of Storm of Swords, #3 of Feast for Crows, and #2 for Dance With Dragons.

I figure it'd be fun to read it with other people, discussing things we're noticing, things we love, things we hate, stuff like that.

So, I propose that we form a sort of book club. We read the books and discuss them.

The schedule I've got set up would require us to get through seven chapters in a week, with three weeks of no reading/catch up thrown in there to help people out keeping on schedule. On this schedule, we'd be able to get through Dance With Dragons in time for Season 5 of the series to start (in theory, if it starts roughly the same time next season). That's one chapter a day you'd have to average. I don't think that's excessive...

This'd be a thread with some pretty rampant spoilers in them, and hopefully some blatant and wild speculation that we can all laugh at.

Who's with me?

By Wednesday next week you'd need to read from the Prologue to the second Catelyn chapter. Even if no one is on board, I'll be doing this (though, if it's just me, I may be a lot more lose with my schedule. I'll even keep posting to this thread with my chapter-by-chapter thoughts.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I've been thinking I need to reread them, but it has been hard to find the time. Getting married has reduced my free time more than I thought it would (i.e. "We need to paint" or "We need to rearrange the house" or "We need to do some landscaping"), so I probably won't be able to join in. Maybe I can keep up if I skip all the Bran chapters.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'd love to do this, but with a 5-month old at home, my free time (lolol) is spent sleeping.

I just read all the books for the first time last year but it's amazing how so many details have vanished from my brain.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I'd love to do this, but with a 5-month old at home, my free time (lolol) is spent sleeping.

I just read all the books for the first time last year but it's amazing how so many details have vanished from my brain.

I thought 7 chapters a week might be too much, but if we go any less, we're looking at over a year to get through all of them.

I'm also not sure I'll be able to slow myself down.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'd started rereading by myself a week or two ago. I'm going slower this time than last, but I'll try to participate.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm due for a re-read, but I'm in the middle of another series right now. I'll follow along and maybe catch up in a bit.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I've been thinking I need to reread them, but it has been hard to find the time. Getting married has reduced my free time more than I thought it would (i.e. "We need to paint" or "We need to rearrange the house" or "We need to do some landscaping"), so I probably won't be able to join in. Maybe I can keep up if I skip all the Bran chapters.

I can handle Bran chapters, but early Dany and Sansa chapters are the worst for me. I'll be happy to read Ned again though.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can handle Bran chapters, but early Dany and Sansa chapters are the worst for me. I'll be happy to read Ned again though.

Ned chapters are hugely important for the rest of the series, as the give the most hints at what really happened in the past, such as R+L=J.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I almost started rereading them last month, but instead decided to read the Dark Tower series for the first time, half way through it. The entire time just imagining how awesome it would be on HBO with these same production values Game of Thrones has had.

I'm sure I'll reread GoT some day, probably a year or two after I read the last book then go through them uninterrupted.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Ned chapters are hugely important for the rest of the series, as the give the most hints at what really happened in the past, such as R+L=J.

This. The second time I read GOT, it's hard to miss. The Ned chapters are just full of hints at something. The R+L = J fits so well. It's almost has to be. I'm looking forward to hearing from Howland Reed at some point in the story.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
This. The second time I read GOT, it's hard to miss. The Ned chapters are just full of hints at something. The R+L = J fits so well. It's almost has to be. I'm looking forward to hearing from Howland Reed at some point in the story.

What is interesting then is you have 3 potential true 'rulers' in Jon, Dany, and Aegon. All have their claims and flaws.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
would it be acceptable to marry your aunt?

It seems to have been the norm for their family...I got the idea it was more accepted for them because they ruled so absolutely...where it's clearly not something the Lanisters want to flaunt in the open.

Jon would be some sort of cousin too right? I'm not the best at this family tree stuff.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I might try to participate, but I am still struggling to finish off DWD for the first time. Books 4 and 5 have sucked my motivation away.

Maybe starting over would be nice.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE

I agree. I find myself skimming the Dany segments to get the gist.

I was disappointed to lose Ned so soon. I enjoyed his character.

I enjoy the Jon Snow story best. Still hoping he teams up with Arya some how down the road.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron