Mar 15, 2012
No, this is insufferable.....

"TJ is the coach......what a great hire!"
"He knows ISU, he loves ISU, he knows what will work"
"He is a great recruiter, he knows how to put pieces together"
"What great get on the transfers"
"Fantastic job on keeping one of ISU's top recruits"
"TJ getting the job done"

And then..................."don't expect miracles, we were just 2-22.

Everything is great, epic, historical and unbelievable until you start talking what to expect. Then it's.........."oh no, we can't do that". With all the "great coach, great recruiter, pieces" talk and "oh my, TJ getting the job done"........why not get excited anticipating a 15+ win season next year? What.....so we aren't disappointed? Please.....!

The one that took the cake for me was hoping Otzelberger would do great with Prohm’s players to make Prohm look bad. WTF?

1. I think we all want the team to do well, with whatever players we wind up with. I wish for the best for the team and all Cyclones.
2. Prohm did a sufficient job of making himself look bad
3. Why beat a dead horse?
4. Prohm is gone. How long is he going to be your whipping boy? I guess hatred is eternal.
5. Move on. Let it go.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Yes he did but Hinson has not played for us. And Coleman Lands is a one trick pony who shoots about 7 3's a game, TJ obviously did not like his D or other surrounding parts to his game otherwise he would be back.

Kalscheur has had a season average 11 pts per game in the big ten and is a lockdown defender. This is an upgrade immediately. No offense to coleman lands.
Yes. But, Hinson not playing was unexpected. We will see how good Kalscheur is won’t we. IMO Kalscheur is an upgrade. CTO is doing a good job of cleaning house and bringing in guys that should be able to compete.

Reactions: cyfan21

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Lol. Hoiberg took ISU from 15-17 (4-12) to 16-16 (3-13) in his first year. They were 23-11 (12-6) in year 2, which is probably a better measuring stick given the difference in sit-out rules. This is a stupid comparison, but if we’re going to use it, TJ should be in double-digit wins (+8) in year 2.
If he doesn’t, it’s Prohm’s fault.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'm excited and optimistic. Number of total wins probably depends more on non-conference schedule. We need to remember a lot of the hopes hinge on a freshman PG.
I still think TJ adds a PG in the transfer portal. Adding Caleb and Gabe yesterday helps because we have a number of 3 point shooters. TJ could pursue a Jacy Holloway type PG. A player who isn't going to shoot a ton, but capable of running a half court offense and solid assist to turnover ratio.

I don't see that as a threat to Hunter because Hunter could slide to CG and play them together.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I was never in the we need a GT PG to mentor TH but I do believe playing everyday along side GK checks the same box.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
No, this is insufferable.....

"TJ is the coach......what a great hire!"
"He knows ISU, he loves ISU, he knows what will work"
"He is a great recruiter, he knows how to put pieces together"
"What great get on the transfers"
"Fantastic job on keeping one of ISU's top recruits"
"TJ getting the job done"

And then..................."don't expect miracles, we were just 2-22.

Everything is great, epic, historical and unbelievable until you start talking what to expect. Then it's.........."oh no, we can't do that". With all the "great coach, great recruiter, pieces" talk and "oh my, TJ getting the job done"........why not get excited anticipating a 15+ win season next year? What.....so we aren't disappointed? Please.....!
You must have really hated this place when Matt Campbell was in his first off season and brining in guys this board was excited over left and right then.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I still think TJ adds a PG in the transfer portal. Adding Caleb and Gabe yesterday helps because we have a number of 3 point shooters. TJ could pursue a Jacy Holloway type PG. A player who isn't going to shoot a ton, but capable of running a half court offense and solid assist to turnover ratio.

I don't see that as a threat to Hunter because Hunter could slide to CG and play them together.

I get the thought and it could happen but I don't think that is what the staff is looking at adding right now. I think Tre and Walker can play that role. There's a reason TJ wanted them to stay and play a role eventually backup CG is well with in their skill set. Eventually you have to trust the development of the players on the roster especially in a minor role.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Lol. Hoiberg took ISU from 15-17 (4-12) to 16-16 (3-13) in his first year. They were 23-11 (12-6) in year 2, which is probably a better measuring stick given the difference in sit-out rules. This is a stupid comparison, but if we’re going to use it, TJ should be in double-digit wins (+8) in year 2.
Didn’t almost everyone leave before Fred’s first year?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I've seen some Babb comparisons and given the shooting, size and defensive props maybe that'll be a good one. The first thing that popped into my head, especially given the situation, was Uncle Jake Anderson. If GK can bring that kind of toughness and provide that kind of leadership to a program DESPERATELY in need of a culture change, it's a great add for us.

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

I get the thought and it could happen but I don't think that is what the staff is looking at adding right now. I think Tre and Walker can play that role. There's a reason TJ wanted them to stay and play a role eventually backup CG is well with in their skill set. Eventually you have to trust the development of the players on the roster especially in a minor role.
TJ could go two ways I suppose, assuming 2 more schollys to add. 1. Add two more bigs SF, FC. IMO we need one more starter F?, another SF who could play the 2/3 would then be nice also. He would then rely on G's of Hunter, Kalscheur, Grill, Walker, Jackson, new 2/3 guard?
or,
2. Get one more PG/CG that can play now for 1-2 years. Likely will need another guard. Get another starter F.

I think I favor #2 option. We need another F, but we should also have another PG/CG. Can't have too many guards, especially if a little taller and can play defense (Kalscheur).

All depends upon best player availability and how they might fit into team, obviously.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
TJ could go two ways I suppose, assuming 2 more schollys to add. 1. Add two more bigs SF, FC. IMO we need one more starter F?, another SF who could play the 2/3 would then be nice also. He would then rely on G's of Hunter, Kalscheur, Grill, Walker, Jackson, new 2/3 guard?
or,
2. Get one more PG/CG that can play now for 1-2 years. Likely will need another guard. Get another starter F.

I think I favor #2 option. We need another F, but we should also have another PG/CG. Can't have too many guards, especially if a little taller and can play defense (Kalscheur).

All depends upon best player availability and how they might fit into team, obviously.

First rule is you always take the best talent and adjust around them.
Thant said I am on plan #1. I feel 4 starting spots are set PG-Hunter, SG-Gabe, F-Hinson, F/C-Foster. All indications are Hinson will be fine but is coming of a mysterious injury/sickness that caused him to red shirt. being off a year may take a bit to get back to his sophomore level of play. Right now in my mind SF is a weaker position than Guard. I feel Kunc and Javia would be better of the bench. Adding a starting SG/SF who can shoot the 3 and using the 2nd F/PF would as Hinson insurance would round out the team nicely in my mind.

I guess I am not sure how attractive ISU would be to a 1 year guard that would be better than Walker and Jackson are right now. Most guys transferring are looking to play and would be behind Hunter/Kalcheur. Also we can consider Lipsey is TJ's top target for '22. I am not sure the staff would want to add another guard with 2-3 years eligibility with the expectation Tyrese/Gabe/Tre/Walker will be here for 2 years.

I am a bit more