Future at Head Coach

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
I could be sold on either option. Love the current style and how the current staff is getting it done think they've earned the chance. On the other hand sick of our wrestling legends killing it somewhere else so maybe getting other wrestling legends (taylor/jb) could work out.
I mean it’s not like pollard kicked out Bobby Douglas and brought in Sanderson. Honestly a different situation but like you don’t want David Taylor going to Iowa. It’s just my opinion David Taylor will be the next big coach. I love dresser and I hope this don’t happen for awhile.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Honestly if David Taylor is available I would rather have him come to Iowa state than Iowa. He seems like the next great coach. But hope it doesn’t happen for awhile. I love what this staff is teaching. Best style in wrestling right now!
Are you posting on the Iowa boards too? This is the only person they talk about...lol Actually they're going to get DT and Burroughs to coach...haha

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Even when Dresser retires he will still be involved which I would love. I could actually see him handling the the donor relations and those kind of things...think business man, etc and letting the next Head Coach well coach. I've always thought Metcalf would be the next in line keep DSJ in his role which I think he enjoys and then when the time comes bring in DC on the staff. DC on staff for drilling and lets not forget the RECRUITMENT aspect he would bring.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Even when Dresser retires he will still be involved which I would love. I could actually see him handling the the donor relations and those kind of things...think business man, etc and letting the next Head Coach well coach. I've always thought Metcalf would be the next in line keep DSJ in his role which I think he enjoys and then when the time comes bring in DC on the staff. DC on staff for drilling and lets not forget the RECRUITMENT aspect he would bring.
Will he keep his role on the par 3 taking everyone’s money?

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I love David Taylor and think he'll make a great head coach someday, but I have a hard time seeing him step into a head position right off the bat.
Has he done any coaching outside of his youth program and clinics?
I'm sure he's incredibly good at the teaching aspects of the job, but the CEO and business-type stuff and university politics will be a bit of a learning curve, to say the least.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I just don't see David Taylor ever going to Iowa City. The DNA of these two entities don't match and "Gable trained" style seems like yesteryears approach. I've thought for years that PSU has some secret sauce in regard to working smarter not harder and the latest article on Messinbrink further solidifies that.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I love David Taylor and think he'll make a great head coach someday, but I have a hard time seeing him step into a head position right off the bat.
Has he done any coaching outside of his youth program and clinics?
I'm sure he's incredibly good at the teaching aspects of the job, but the CEO and business-type stuff and university politics will be a bit of a learning curve, to say the least.
I’m sure he can step in immediately and manage the CEO and political stuff just as well as the Brands. It’s not like that is where Tom Excels.

Taylor definitely is regularly working with big time donors and business people in PA.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I just don't see David Taylor ever going to Iowa City. The DNA of these two entities don't match and "Gable trained" style seems like yesteryears approach. I've thought for years that PSU has some secret sauce in regard to working smarter not harder and the latest article on Messinbrink further solidifies that.
The biggest difference I see in the whole PSU/stupid team in eastern Iowa is one goes out and has fun, wrestles free and doesn't let it define them. The other goes out ans wrestles up tight and appears to convince their wrestlers that winning is life or death. None of those people look happy when they're wrestling/in the corner or in interviews.

It would be in our best interest if all PSU alums would stay away from Iowa s h I t t y from now until the end of time

ISU_Cyclones

May 9, 2018
This may be "the move after the next move" territory but what are everyone's thoughts on Carr? Do we think he gets into coaching after his post college wrestling career ends? I know being a great wrestler isn't always a recipe for being a great coach but man does his demeanor and attitude seem well suited for the job.

Reactions: TheCampanile

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
This may be "the move after the next move" territory but what are everyone's thoughts on Carr? Do we think he gets into coaching after his post college wrestling career ends? I know being a great wrestler isn't always a recipe for being a great coach but man does his demeanor and attitude seem well suited for the job.
David has stated in recent interviews that he plans to pursue coaching after his competitive career is over. I assume that means after he's done chasing World/Olympic medals. IMO he will be an amazing coach and I would predict that he ends up on staff here at ISU and could be our future coach if Metcalf/DSJ decide they don't want to wait for Dresser or get an opportunity elsewhere that they can't pass up. I think DC has all of the skills to be one of the best coaches in the country.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
David has stated in recent interviews that he plans to pursue coaching after his competitive career is over. I assume that means after he's done chasing World/Olympic medals. IMO he will be an amazing coach and I would predict that he ends up on staff here at ISU and could be our future coach if Metcalf/DSJ decide they don't want to wait for Dresser or get an opportunity elsewhere that they can't pass up. I think DC has all of the skills to be one of the best coaches in the country.
I think he has great skills that would translate well to the coaching world. I don't believe it's been mentioned, but thought I heard Dresser say he hired David. I don't believe he mentioned a position.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
This is more of a reflection of where we are currently and where we're trending. It's no secret that Dresser isn't a puppy anymore and I'm guessing he's got a few years left in him. When we lock down a team trophy next year, I wouldn't be shocked if he called it a career. I also hope that he still has more years left in the tank!

With that, are we assuming or is it quietly talked about that Metcalf is next in line? While browsing the TOE message boards I was a little surprised very very few of them brought up Metcalf and St. John as possible candidates in their delusion of wanting to replace TnT.

Anyways, big big fan of the current staff and the way things are trending!
When you say team trophy what do you mean?

Help Support Us

Become a patron