Future at Head Coach

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
This is more of a reflection of where we are currently and where we're trending. It's no secret that Dresser isn't a puppy anymore and I'm guessing he's got a few years left in him. When we lock down a team trophy next year, I wouldn't be shocked if he called it a career. I also hope that he still has more years left in the tank!

With that, are we assuming or is it quietly talked about that Metcalf is next in line? While browsing the TOE message boards I was a little surprised very very few of them brought up Metcalf and St. John as possible candidates in their delusion of wanting to replace TnT.

Anyways, big big fan of the current staff and the way things are trending!

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is more of a reflection of where we are currently and where we're trending. It's no secret that Dresser isn't a puppy anymore and I'm guessing he's got a few years left in him. When we lock down a team trophy next year, I wouldn't be shocked if he called it a career. I also hope that he still has more years left in the tank!

With that, are we assuming or is it quietly talked about that Metcalf is next in line? While browsing the TOE message boards I was a little surprised very very few of them brought up Metcalf and St. John as possible candidates in their delusion of wanting to replace TnT.

Anyways, big big fan of the current staff and the way things are trending!
They want nothing to do with those two since they are ISU coaches now. I would think one of them would be the next head coach with possibly DC sliding in as an assistant when he's done.

I also can see dresser hanging around for more than next year. He seems to enjoy it and being more a manager than the room guy he doesn't get beat on as much.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
They want nothing to do with those two since they are ISU coaches now. I would think one of them would be the next head coach with possibly DC sliding in as an assistant when he's done.

I also can see dresser hanging around for more than next year. He seems to enjoy it and being more a manager than the room guy he doesn't get beat on as much.

Metcalf should be the coach in waiting IMO, Do your best to keep DSJ and make room/bring up DC. I hope Dresser sticks around 5 or so more years to make sure we at minimum stabilize at this level and obviously preferably continue to climb.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Metcalf should be the coach in waiting IMO, Do your best to keep DSJ and make room/bring up DC. I hope Dresser sticks around 5 or so more years to make sure we at minimum stabilize at this level and obviously preferably continue to climb.
Honestly, it may be best if Metcalf is the guy, to have him run a Tennessee Chattanooga type team. Cut his teeth a little as a head coach and take a couple lumps elsewhere and then come back. I still think (while Prohm turned out not to be a good coach) that TJ coaching at SDSU and UNLV helped him become the correct coach for ISU. There is a difference between being the HC and an assistant who helps a lot.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
For reference, KD is 61 (although I would say he still has the piss and vinegar of a 22-year-old).
No disrespect to @Tigerguy_ , I mean dresser, :) but I would have guessed him a few years older. But the current CEO type position would allow for a good number of more years

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

I'm actually surprised how much technique Dresser still does on a day to day basis. The guy still gets it done on the mat too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm actually surprised how much technique Dresser still does on a day to day basis. The guy still gets it done on the mat too.
I've heard (never been in a practice) that he is in the room and working on technique, but what I meant was he isn't sparring with them all the time like they say metcalf and St J are. I could have heard wrong also. So, if someone knows better than me I welcome the correction.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Only Dresser knows how he feels at this stage of his career, but it seems to me he will certainly stick around to see this current group of freshman get to the senior status. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: stuclone

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I've heard (never been in a practice) that he is in the room and working on technique, but what I meant was he isn't sparring with them all the time like they say metcalf and St J are. I could have heard wrong also. So, if someone knows better than me I welcome the correction.
Watched a hard practice with St John taking it to Gaitan, that was entertaining. Metcalf is still.. Metcalf

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
DSJ strikes me as someone that just loves coaching wrestling and might not want to deal with the headaches of becoming a head coach (no inside information, just viewing from afar). I get the sense Metcalf wants to be a head coach and he might very well be the guy in waiting. I would be happy with either option

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
Honestly if David Taylor is available I would rather have him come to Iowa state than Iowa. He seems like the next great coach. But hope it doesn’t happen for awhile. I love what this staff is teaching. Best style in wrestling right now!

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Honestly if David Taylor is available I would rather have him come to Iowa state than Iowa. He seems like the next great coach. But hope it doesn’t happen for awhile. I love what this staff is teaching. Best style in wrestling right now!
That shiny new toy is going to cost a lot of pretty pennies.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I have a hard time seeing them pass on Metcalf WHEN the time comes to replace Dresser. I also don't think Dresser has plans of leaving anytime soon. He's built it and he will continue to ride it out for a handful of years. Metcalf and St John do a great job in developing the kids and obviously do a decent job at recruiting.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
I could be sold on either option. Love the current style and how the current staff is getting it done think they've earned the chance. On the other hand sick of our wrestling legends killing it somewhere else so maybe getting other wrestling legends (taylor/jb) could work out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron