Friday OT: Rooster or Owl

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I really thought this was literally going to be about roosters or owls.

My gut instinct would be to choose owl - seem so much cooler. That said, I don't get to eat Nashville Hot Chicken without roosters. Tough choice.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Oooooo do Connections (free on NYT) at night now too!
Will have to check it out!

By Wordle, what I really mean is I do it and Quordle, Quordle Sequence, Octordle, Octordle Sequence, Blossom, Daily Wordscapes, and Daily Sudoku, depending on how soon I think I can get to sleep. About then, dog decides he wants out.:rolleyes:

My oldest brother goes to bed and 8:00 and gets up at 3:30-4:00. Sometimes he calls me at maybe 5:00 am after he’s worked out.

• Haha
Reactions: cowgirl836

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for today’s topic!

Are you a morning or night person? Has that ever changed throughout your life?

I was definitely a night person up until I was in my late 20s (I know a lot of you aren’t there yet). Then one day I woke up and consistently wake up at dawn left to my own devices ever since. I can push through to about 8:30 if I am overtired or was up late the night before, but am also very productive in the mornings.

My husband is the exact opposite. I know that I can’t ask him anything to which I want a real response until he has had time to wake up fully.
I have always been a night person, even when I was forced into being a day person because of some factory jobs I had when I was younger where I had to be ready to work at 7 a.m. Luckily, the last 30 or so years of my work life, I worked second shift and didn't have to show up until after noon.

Reactions: Angie

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Will have to check it out!

By Wordle, what I really mean is I do it and Quordle, Quordle Sequence, Octordle, Octordle Sequence, Blossom, Daily Wordscapes, and Daily Sudoku, depending on how soon I think I can get to sleep. About then, dog decides he wants out.:rolleyes:

My oldest brother goes to bed and 8:00 and gets up at 3:30-4:00. Sometimes he calls me at maybe 5:00 am after he’s worked out.

Sedecordle is my go to

Reactions: carvers4math

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I can do/be both. I prefer to go to bed early and wake up early. But I don't sleep much at night anyway, so I will get up between 6 and 730 every morning, regardless of what time I go to bed.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I like to read 10pm-11:30pmish -I could easily sleep til noon or later, always a struggle getting up in the AM and working out-must have 8 hrs sleep or I'm no good

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Very much a night person. Pretty sure it's related to my adhd.

Hell, sometimes I like to hit the gym after midnight. Get the whole place to myself or just 1-2 others. It's awesome.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
As a kid during summer vacation I would gradually stay up later at night and get up later in the morning. By the time school started it was going to bed about 3AM and 10:30 or 11:00 AM getting up.

Working forced me to get up early. Originally had to be at work at 5:00AM 4 days per week and 7:00AM the other.

College was close to the same.

Back at work after college and it was the same but not quite as early. But I still had an hour commute. Often on Fridays I would come home, eat and be in bed by 8:00 PM after a tough week.

I always figured once I retired I'd naturally go back to what I did when I was young. But in reality I generally go to bed between 11 and 12 and get up between 7 and 8. I do get naps most days which I limit to 1 hour max.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm a night owl for sure. Ideally I'd go to bed at midnight or so and wake up at 8. Tough to do with a normal 8-5 job

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for today’s topic!

Are you a morning or night person? Has that ever changed throughout your life?

I was definitely a night person up until I was in my late 20s (I know a lot of you aren’t there yet). Then one day I woke up and consistently wake up at dawn left to my own devices ever since. I can push through to about 8:30 if I am overtired or was up late the night before, but am also very productive in the mornings.

My husband is the exact opposite. I know that I can’t ask him anything to which I want a real response until he has had time to wake up fully.
Morning person here. I’m mid 40s w 4 kids, 10 and under. The mornings are my only “me time.”

Under normal routine/schedules I’m asleep by 9:30pm and awake at 5am with no alarm.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Angie

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Was never really a night person except in my youth. I've generally always been more of a morning person but the hours have shifted.

In college, I would find it impossible to get up early enough to make it to the gym before a 9am class. About 5 years ago I got serious about exercise and would often workout at 6am and even sometimes 5am.

My wife and I get up between 5-5:30am most days, even on weekends. It's extremely rare for us to ever sleep past 6am.
Do you have children?

Help Support Us

Become a patron