Friday OT - Dear Abby

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
this is just an adjacent story, no advice needed now but several years ago, a manager was given a very nice profile, just below exec level. Interacting with exec frequently. In their email signature, they misspelled their new title. I noticed pretty quickly because that's my superpower but I didn't see manager shortly after to mention. And then I felt like it had been too long. So I never said anything and their signature was misspelled for at least two years until another minor title change and it got corrected. Every time I got an email from them I was like I should say something but I never did.

It's such an awkward spot! My boss (who is awesome) and main teammate both tease me about "Big Word Wednesday" - any time I use an esoteric word, or just one with which they are unfamiliar, they just "Big Word Wednesday" me. However, it's turned into my boss IMing me if she's writing an email and wants to make sure she's using affect vs effect correctly, etc. I love it! And so it means that she'd totally be like, "Hey, thanks" if I did the same thing to her that you were pondering - it's nice to have that freedom in nerdery!

Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's such an awkward spot! My boss (who is awesome) and main teammate both tease me about "Big Word Wednesday" - any time I use an esoteric word, or just one with which they are unfamiliar, they just "Big Word Wednesday" me. However, it's turned into my boss IMing me if she's writing an email and wants to make sure she's using affect vs effect correctly, etc. I love it! And so it means that she'd totally be like, "Hey, thanks" if I did the same thing to her that you were pondering - it's nice to have that freedom in nerdery!
200.webp

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Dear CF,

We have a 10 month old son who has been at daycare since 4 months. He has had 2 double ear infections, pink eye, RSV, bronchiolitis, stomach flu, several colds with temeperatures. Taking him out of day care has been eating up our time off at work. Those who have been through this before, any suggestions?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dear CF,

Less than a month ago, I was the object of affection for many people on this website. My moniker, picture, and gifs would frequently appear in many of these threads. However, ever since the calendar changed to the 20's, I seemed to have lost my position within this community. People seemed to have moved on to a younger, blonder (or more gingery), more Russian Superhero-y version of myself. Is there anything I can do to regain my status or should I just accept the fact that times change, people are fickle and beauty is fleeting?

Sincerely,

JLH

Dear JLH,

Don't feel bad, while I may have replaced you, I'm sure I will be replaced someday myself. In fact, when you type my name in, nobody ever posts the first gif of me that comes up. When its the first, it must be the best but noone ever uses it. JLH, can you tell me why no one uses that gif of mine?

Hugs and kisses,

BW

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Dear CF,

We have a 10 month old son who has been at daycare since 4 months. He has had 2 double ear infections, pink eye, RSV, bronchiolitis, stomach flu, several colds with temeperatures. Taking him out of day care has been eating up our time off at work. Those who have been through this before, any suggestions?

Find a daycare that cleans with bleach water every day.

• Funny

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dear CF,

Is the daycare in a pig pen? Seriously, I've never heard of that much stuff for a child that doesn't maybe have a weakened immune system from something. I would honestly look at other places.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Dear JLH,

Don't feel bad, while I may have replaced you, I'm sure I will be replaced someday myself. In fact, when you type my name in, nobody ever posts the first gif of me that comes up. When its the first, it must be the best but noone ever uses it. JLH, can you tell me why no one uses that gif of mine?

Hugs and kisses,

BW

Dear Betty White,
Here's the first gif that came up when I searched for you. Enjoy.

giphy.gif

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Dear CF,

Dear Patient Zero

I feel like all daycares are sort of a cesspool... but that's a pretty high number of illnesses. The ear infections probably aren't their fault, but all of the others ones most likely are.

I'd consult your pediatrician to get his or her opinion. Almost all of those likely involved a visit and documentation, so they should be able to look at it objectively and tell you if it's an issue. They could also maybe let you know if your infant is especially prone to bronchial stuff by listening to him and looking at his history, regardless of the daycare - it seems like you have several of those issues, and our daughter was incredibly prone to that stuff so it's one of my first thoughts.

Based off of the pediatrician's opinion, I'd research other daycares (or not, if appropriate). It's hard AF to get into a good center in central Iowa, so make sure to do research, do site visits, and ask around.

Your friend,
CF

Reactions: cyrevkah

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We Phil Collins can't dance but how do you know Phil Collings can't?

I honestly don't know if I typed that or if I got spell checked on that one. Spell check has been Pee'ing me off more than helping me lately. Sent some very bad fixes in texts.

• Funny

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I used the word quinquennial in a document for a meeting a couple of weeks ago. My boss shamed me by announcing that "That is a VeloClone word."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Dear CF,

My coworker refers to kids in daycare and school as "human petri dishes". I think he isn't far off the mark.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I honestly don't know if I typed that or if I got spell checked on that one. Spell check has been Pee'ing me off more than helping me lately. Sent some very bad fixes in texts.
This belongs here. I would give credit but there are about a thousand different supposed sources...

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.