Friday OT #2 - That's Not A Thing

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Wrong.

The full correct term is Soda Pop. Soda is the adjective describing the kind of pop (the noun) you're talking about. It's like red barn. Red is describing the kind of barn. You wouldn't say,
"The cows are in the red."
This is also wrong. Soda is a noun. Pop is a verb.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
For the record... I like when people call it pop. It's a signifier that flags them for further evaluation. Like self-reporting.

extreme jimlad implied

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
My wife always says "in lieu of the fact that...." What she really means is "in light of the fact that...." In 30 years I have never bothered to correct her because it's just not that important. Besides, whenever she does or says something wrong, my standard reaction is to say, "Well, there's that University of Iowa degree working for ya." And a girl can only take so much of that!

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and SCyclone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
and as for the soda versus pop debate, I'll throw out a curve ball....my family says pop as a plural usually referring to utilizing 2-liters and soda as the singular.

I'll have a soda. Whose going to bring the pop to the reunion.

Okay, I'll bite: "whose" who is going to bring the pop..." Quick, blame autocorrect.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
That one time my grandma actually referred to a couch as a "Davenport."

I know that's actually what it is, but you just don't hear it referenced like that anymore.
I was going to ask those of you in the Midwest - I no longer am - if that was still used. I heard that quite a bit growing up. Was talking aboutt it with a Michigander and we looked it up - that was the name of the manufacturer (in Mass.)