Friday OT #1 - The Baguettes

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @cmjh10 for this idea! There was a thing going around social media the past couple of weeks that sparked this idea.

What were things you thought were indicators of wealth as a kid? Stuff reserved for the upper crust?

I assumed this coffee was fancy AF:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
RVs. I thought motor homes were the ultimate sign of wealth. My favorite thing to do at cattle Congress was to tour RVs and I wanted one and my mom would always say you had to be a millionaire. Of course, you have to be pretty rich to own a brand new class A. But you don’t have to be the top .01% ;)

Reactions: Angie

BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
A vehicle with less than 50,000 miles on it. I did learn plenty about repairs by having to replace motors, trannys, and such in all the old beaters we had.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Jeans for sure! Pepe and Z Cav jeans when I was in middle and high school.
I forgot about those. Add in a pair of those with a Ralph Lauren long sleeve polo shirt and Eastland shoes, and those were the rich kids.
Later it was Doc Marten boots.

wxman1

Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Houses were big ones for me. Growing up Marion and NE CR around where I lived were starting a housing boom and figured if you can afford a nice new house you must have a lot of money. Another one was pretty much anything name brand and nice looking especially clothes.

Oh and eating out. We never did that growing up.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I never knew anyone who had one but I figured if you had this your parents were absolutely killing it...

Attachments

throwittoblythe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Anything Tommy Hilfiger or Abercrombie. I remember begging and begging my parents to buy me some $70 TH jeans so I could be cool.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I remember when a tricked out Nokia cell phone with a custom case and buttons was a bit thing. If you had a cell phone you were doing well.

Another one from my childhood was a trampoline. They weren't near as common then. If you were a kid with a trampoline you were made. I'm not sure if a trampoline was more a sign of wealth or having bad*** parents though...