Football Helmet Question

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
I'm trying to finish my 19th ISU football helmet for the man cave and have a question for you all.
Does anyone know for sure if the 1937 through 1939 leather helmets were painted a metallic gold?
This is the best photo I could find (1937 All-Amer Everett "The Rabbit" Kischer in action at Northwestern). I believe NW had black, leather helmets. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Go Cyclones! 1937 All-Amer Everett "The Rabbit" Kischer in action at Northwestern.jpg

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
I loathe the 49ers as well. I just want to know if we (Iowa State) had metallic gold panted leather helmets in the 1930s.

• Friendly
Reactions: CYCLNST8

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
I'm trying to finish my 19th ISU football helmet for the man cave and have a question for you all.
Does anyone know for sure if the 1937 through 1939 leather helmets were painted a metallic gold?
This is the best photo I could find (1937 All-Amer Everett "The Rabbit" Kischer in action at Northwestern). I believe NW had black, leather helmets. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Go Cyclones! View attachment 57172

Ryan Field looked like dump in the 1930's.

• Agree
Reactions: Al_4_State

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
This is the best photo I could find (1937 All-Amer Everett "The Rabbit" Kischer in action at Northwestern). I believe NW had black, leather helmets. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Go Cyclones! View attachment 57172
I found a page that has a copy of the football program covers from the 1930s. 1937 has what appears to be a gold helmet

https://digitalcollections.lib.iastate.edu/iowa-state-football-programs/1930s

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Paging @Kagavi

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
I found a page that has a copy of the football program covers from the 1930s. 1937 has what appears to be a gold helmet

Those covers were largely generic covers. I wouldn't put any stock into those images.

In 1933, a newspaper article reported ISU would continue to wear their blue jerseys (started in 1931), but needed to wear red jerseys for two games that season against other teams that were wearing either blue or black. For the 1933 season, ISU's helmets were changing from all black to black and tan.

I don't immediately have files for the late '30s, since that's a bit removed from Jack Trice's time. It's important to note that the film used at that time was panchromatic (see: The yellow lipstick of Jack Trice story) and color reproduction is somewhat easier to guess.

Looking at your photo, seems pretty obvious it is a two-tone helmet. My immediate feeling, based on years of research into this area, is a light brown and tan combo of dyed leather, as leather helmets were not painted.

It could easily be a different color combo. Perhaps yellow and tan. Reporting on uniform changes was pretty spotty in those days and I would need to dedicate a bunch of time that I don't have to truly nail it down.

For example, I notice there are three vent holes per "vertical column" on the helmets and in my experience, only two holes was the far more common iteration, thus looking though equipment catalogs of the era should yield the manufacturer, and thus possible color combos.

BTW, here's film from that very Northwestern vs. Iowa State game, featuring NW's black player returning a KO for a TD:

https://media.northwestern.edu/media_objects/s7526c54p

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
Those covers were largely generic covers. I wouldn't put any stock into those images.

In 1933, a newspaper article reported ISU would continue to wear their blue jerseys (started in 1931), but needed to wear red jerseys for two games that season against other teams that were wearing either blue or black. For the 1933 season, ISU's helmets were changing from all black to black and tan.

I don't immediately have files for the late '30s, since that's a bit removed from Jack Trice's time. It's important to note that the film used at that time was panchromatic (see: The yellow lipstick of Jack Trice story) and color reproduction is somewhat easier to guess.

Looking at your photo, seems pretty obvious it is a two-tone helmet. My immediate feeling, based on years of research into this area, is a light brown and tan combo of dyed leather, as leather helmets were not painted.

It could easily be a different color combo. Perhaps yellow and tan. Reporting on uniform changes was pretty spotty in those days and I would need to dedicate a bunch of time that I don't have to truly nail it down.

For example, I notice there are three vent holes per "vertical column" on the helmets and in my experience, only two holes was the far more common iteration, thus looking though equipment catalogs of the era should yield the manufacturer, and thus possible color combos.

BTW, here's film from that very Northwestern vs. Iowa State game, featuring NW's black player returning a KO for a TD:

Thanks so much! Your "lipstick" story is very detailed. The helmet I have (that I was going to paint, shown here), may be closer to a 1933 version. I don't plan on touching it at all now — glad I didn't jump the gun on painting. The hole patterns on this one look more like a late 30s helmet, but may be good enough for "1933" in the man cave.

3564220317447iA.jpg

Draf

Jun 8, 2017

Awesome to see footage of that game — thanks for that link.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks so much! Your "lipstick" story is very detailed. The helmet I have (that I was going to paint, shown here), may be closer to a 1933 version. I don't plan on touching it at all now — glad I didn't jump the gun on painting. The hole patterns on this one look more like a late 30s helmet, but may be good enough for "1933" in the man cave.

View attachment 57191

Awesome memento and souvenir. Do you have jerseys too?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron