Firmly Entrenched-Iowa Everywhere

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Agreed, but a recruiting site reporter should never say he's not interested in covering recruiting...
Did Alec actually say that somewhere? I stopped following 247 after Osen left.

247/Cyclone Alert was frustrating because it's become a stepping stone for writers to reach their ideal school. Swain used it to get to Kansas, Osen to Wisconsin, and I'm sure Alec has similar aspirations to get to Illinois. That's the main reason I didn't give Alec a chance and swore off the subscription.

That said, Swain and Osen both worked their tails off and offered phenomenal value to their subscribers. They earned their dream jobs and did ISU fans right while covering the Cyclones. I'll always thank them for the product they rolled out while in Ames.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

247/Cyclone Alert was frustrating because it's become a stepping stone for writers to reach their ideal school. Swain used it to get to Kansas, Osen to Wisconsin, and I'm sure Alec has similar aspirations to get to Illinois. That's the main reason I didn't give Alec a chance and swore off the subscription.

That said, Swain and Osen both worked their tails off and offered phenomenal value to their subscribers. They earned their dream jobs and did ISU fans right while covering the Cyclones. I'll always thank them for the product they rolled out while in Ames.
Yes, on the board. I don't remember the direct quote, but he essentially said he's not as interested in covering recruiting as he is storytelling. Well 247 is not a storytelling service, unfortunately.

• Wow
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My issue with Alec (I'm not a 247 subscriber) is that he knows less about ISU than almost every poster on this board. Miller & Condon have him, and it's clear they both know more ISU than he does, and Condon's one of the most avid Hawk homers there is.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009

He did. His recruiting information is basically just reported offers on twitter.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Osen is better informed about ISU than Alec at this point. Alec’s appearances on KXNO are cringeworthy.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I’m not going to criticize either Alec or Bill Seals since they’re the only two guys we have willing to consistently show up on KxNO to talk about ISU. Ken Miller has talked about his frustration with not being able to get more ISU guys on several times.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
Basketball coverage has been pretty weak this year. Osen leaving 247 sucks - he was the man and reminded me of a young CW (passion & recuiting wise). Let him cook pod - gave it a chance a couple of times this year and couldn't even finish most episodes. Rob does great job writing story's but they are missing Stanz that could break things down, relate to the players and give real analysis.

Bring back the Corner 3 pod w/ Stanz & Thug Life, let Stanz write a weekly article previewing games and/or recruiting. Outside of the Williams & Blum pod and Rob's fun stories, that is all i get from CF now for basketball. Love me some Woddy & Mahony as well.