Field storm was unnecessary

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
That hasn't happened since the late 90's when they put in the current "indestructible" version. Trust me, we tried multiple times to bring those things down when I was in school in the early 00s.
It seems to me that after the Seneca win over Nebraska there was MAYBE a 2 degree bend for the effort. Or maybe that's just wishful misremembering on my part.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Back to the original OP, let the kids be kids and keep college football, just that, a college environment. My daughter, who graduated from ISU 2 years ago, was raised going to Jack (season tickets) each season from age 4. We dont have season tickets anymore, but she went with friends from college and I couldn't be more proud of her going to the game and running onto the field with her friends and telling me the stories after the fact. Last night she came over and we watched the game together (My wife and I were camping and listened on the radio) and after we were done, she started recalling the games that we/she had ran onto the field...The Okie State Game, Mac's last game... This is what makes ISU different, in a good way.

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I saw that too. I was trying to see what caused that student to get his arse kicked but didn't see anything outside the kid getting slammed to the ground.
He was running towards the OSU players to talk **** to them. He completely ran out in an area they had semi-cleared off for the OSU team to leave the field.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Each time I have participated in the post game on the field celebration, I have needed to encourage others with me to join me. We patiently wait our turn to go through the gate the "security is holding open" and down the stairs to the field. It is a really cool experience and everyone who has joined me is sooo glad that they decided to do it. I really encourage anyone that has never done so to try it. Leave the jumping over the walls to the students, just patiently make your way to the lower level gates and take in the fun.

Reactions: NWICY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
He was running towards the OSU players to talk **** to them. He completely ran out in an area they had semi-cleared off for the OSU team to leave the field.
I could be mistaken but on TV the kid got tackled on the Southwest side it looked like. Doesn't the opposing team leave through the NE side?

He would have had to run 100 yards to get to then unless I hsve my directions confused on the TV angles.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
The goal posts we have now can't be taken down without proper tools. Like literally can't be done.
If I recall correctly, after installing the indestructible goal posts, then ISU President Martin Jischke invited anyone that wanted to try to tear them down to have at it. They didn't budge and I don't think anyone even tries any more.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
The goal posts we have now can't be taken down without proper tools. Like literally can't be done.
Oh my, that sounds like a challenge. Glad I am not an under grad at ISU. If I was, cordless hack saw and fifty people to hide me and I would beg to differ with your comment. Glad I'm old, sitting in my recliner, covered by a blanky, and posting.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It was more a build up of frustration over the last couple years deal. One of my kids was front row and texted me they were storming if they won before the game.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
As I recall, the "old school" way of taking the goal posts down didn't involve any tools...
I remember in the late 90s more than once someone climbed up and snagged the orange flag off the top....super ballsy! That's a long ways down!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It seems to me that after the Seneca win over Nebraska there was MAYBE a 2 degree bend for the effort. Or maybe that's just wishful misremembering on my part.

There was a hell of an effort but that thing was not going down. I had a view from the base.