Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Correct, use some kind of spray to kill everything.
In that case, nuke it now. Grass and weeds are storing up for the winter - now is the ideal time to spray. Let it die over winter, start fresh after the thaw with new seed. Just make sure whatever you use doesn't have a residual effect.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Glad I got put some fertilizer down on Wednesday afternoon! Got some rain on it that night and last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyClone

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Thoughts on pre-emergent timing this year? Looking back through this thread and using the listed links, seems like still way too early, but I like to plan. Yard is definitely starting to green up.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
Thoughts on pre-emergent timing this year? Looking back through this thread and using the listed links, seems like still way too early, but I like to plan. Yard is definitely starting to green up.
Lawn companies all over the metro out applying pre emerge right now. Home owners either oblivious or like to waste money.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Ground temp should be around 55 degrees before you should apply. Also, don't apply fertilizer before it rains. I raked my yard last week and still had places on the north side of our wood fence that the ground was still frozen yet.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Ground temp should be around 55 degrees before you should apply. Also, don't apply fertilizer before it rains. I raked my yard last week and still had places on the north side of our wood fence that the ground was still frozen yet.
This.
Buy a $10 digital meat thermometer. Check at about 2 inches.

Reactions: cycloner29

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I bought a cheap soil test kit (Rapitest) that tests for pH, N, P, and K levels to try to cater my fertlizer to what I need rather than just putting down generic fertlizer. Hopefully this will help this year.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Moved last year, new house new sod in Aug, it did pretty well in the fall. Do I dare do anything except put lawn food on this year, or just keep it watered and let it grow for a full season before starting weed treatment?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Am I too late in the CR area to put down pre-emergent dandelion/weed killer?

I never seem to time this crap right. Thanks

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think I will try to put some down sometime this week.

My grass is really starting to green up... so I didn't know if that meant the weeds were already starting to come up as well.... making it too late?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Anyone use an organic program? With pets I'm just ready to be done with the harsh chemicals.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Anyone use an organic program? With pets I'm just ready to be done with the harsh chemicals.

I tried a DIY organic program. With the last few years drought stress.. It hasn't worked as I do not spend $0.01 on watering grass.

Trying traditional chemicals this year as the drought is still here

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
My grass is really starting to green up... so I didn't know if that meant the weeds were already starting to come up as well.... making it too late?
My guess is that you're just fine. I did mine last week when my soil temps were above 50. I was tearing out some scrub brush on a part of the property and didn't have any issues with frost. I temped the soil at 52 so assumed I was good to go. Then we got snow and week of cold temps lol. Weather should warm up again here this week. Clear skies and more sunlight hours can really help surface temps.

Side note: I have no idea what I'm doing :) This is my first real yard and am starting with a disaster. Had horrible advice last year and lost a significant amount of our sod (new construction). I'm definitely anxious to start the rebuilding process and probably hit it too early. I put seed down before the snow to effectively "dormant seed". It's not going to germinate until temps warm up anyway so the cold shouldn't hurt it until it does germinate. I am on the road a lot this month and needed to take advantage of the time I had available to get it done. We'll see!

Reactions: khardbored