FB roster update

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Cordarrius Bailey put on 18 pounds, up too 253. Came to school at 215 or 225? Always liked his athleticism.

I admit that I kind of wrote him off. Three years in the program and still at 235? Not going to cut it in a 3 man front...or at least nothing more than a situational pass rusher and McDonald has that job nailed down. But 253 is a different ballgame. He might be able to carve out a role. Especially after Jaquan Bailey is gone.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
A few position changes as well. Dan Sichterman has moved from DE to TE giving the TE Room a 6'3 260 Pound depth piece. Also Alex Keinow has moved from the OL to what I'm assuming is DT adding a 6'6 317 pound run stopper to the mix hopefully.
I hinted at Sichterman move a few months ago. He will be the road grader who leads or traps.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Actually expect Enyi to take a lot of snaps inside this year. Need a way to have him, Jaquan and McDonald on the field at the same time.
I think you mean Jaquan, Enyi, and Zach Peterson.

It doesn't appear as if McDonald was still able to put on much weight in the offseason. He can still be an effective situational pass rusher at times, but Zach will play 80%+ of the downs..... he's a beast.

Also, I'm a bit concerned that a lot of these big weight gains might not have been "good" weight. Hope that isn't the case.
Hopefully the new strength coach is the reason for the gains!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I admit that I kind of wrote him off. Three years in the program and still at 235? Not going to cut it in a 3 man front...or at least nothing more than a situational pass rusher and McDonald has that job nailed down. But 253 is a different ballgame. He might be able to carve out a role. Especially after Jaquan Bailey is gone.

I remember an interview with a player last year who called Cordarrius Bailey the hardest hitter on the team and I was like whaaaaa?

Reactions: Pizzapitter

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
He was injured all last season.

jksherman2

Nov 24, 2015
Des Moines
Enyi getting up to 310 makes me think we may see a lot more 4-2-5 looks thrown out there compared to previous years. He may be to tall/lanky to be a full on NG, but he could be a monster 3-Tech. Toss up of Bankston/Lee/other? At Nose, Enyi as a 3 Tech, Bailey as one DE and your pick of Peterson/McDonald/mix of young guys on the other side. That’s a scary DL and will free up Rose and Vance to run wild and make plays.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Kyle needed to gain a bunch of weight..... not lose it. That one was puzzling.

There aren’t really any CBs who need to gain a whole bunch of weight. Fans often get hung up on the idea that all players should gain weight. CBs need flexibility, speed and explosion, not necessarily bulk.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You would have to think that all the players, including the incoming freshmen, have been told ahead of time what weight they need to be at, or at least attempt to be at, right?

But there are some gains/losses on there that couldn't possibly have been the goals set by the coaching staff.

I don't think there's anyway that the coaching staff wanted Hudson to gain any weight at at all, especially not 25 lbs for example.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Enyi getting up to 310 makes me think we may see a lot more 4-2-5 looks thrown out there compared to previous years. He may be to tall/lanky to be a full on NG, but he could be a monster 3-Tech. Toss up of Bankston/Lee/other? At Nose, Enyi as a 3 Tech, Bailey as one DE and your pick of Peterson/McDonald/mix of young guys on the other side. That’s a scary DL and will free up Rose and Vance to run wild and make plays.
honestly surprised we didn't see some 4 man fronts last year hopefully that is Heacocks change up this year a bit..

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Guessing the starting D looks like this:

NG Latrell Bankston 6'0 301
DT Enyi Uwazurike 6'6 311
DE Jaquan Bailey 6'2 261
DE Zach Peterson 6'4 267
LB Mike Rose 6'2 245
LB O'Rien Vance 6'1 248
CB Anthony Johnson 6'0 194
CB Tavonn Kyle 5'11 165
Star Lawrence White 6'0 190
FS Greg Eisworth 6'0 198
SS Isheem Young 5'10 200

Looks like some REAL depth on this D...guys like Mcdonald, Hummell, DJ Miller, Kym-mani King, Isaiah Lee, Tucker Robertson, Josh Bailey and a few others are ready to play (or already have) in prime time.

When we go 3 man front, I'd guess Peterson takes a breather with Bankston-Uwazurike-Bailey forming a very strong pass rushing trio...Mcdonald gets thrown in that group frequently as well so much flexibility.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
There aren’t really any CBs who need to gain a whole bunch of weight. Fans often get hung up on the idea that all players should gain weight. CBs need flexibility, speed and explosion, not necessarily bulk.
Politely disagree. Just look at how ISU uses their huge wide receivers in the run game and to body guys up in the red zone. On the outside weight certainly matters less, but you can't be a feather unless you're extremely tenacious. And if you play the nickel you absolutely need some weight. See how #44 for OU was abused last year as their version of the Star position.

Edit: rereading your post, I think we both probably agree, I'm just being pedantic

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Maybe he doesn't need to gain a bunch of weight, but losing 13 pounds is weird when he was already on the smaller side. He got thrown around a few times against ND.

Reactions: BigCyFan

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Maybe he doesn't need to gain a bunch of weight, but losing 13 pounds is weird when he was already on the smaller side. He got thrown around a few times against ND.

ND's overall team size was one the big reasons we struggled in the bowl game. TOs didn't help, but the Irish were a lot bigger than the Cyclones.

Reactions: BigCyFan

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Guessing the starting D looks like this:

NG Latrell Bankston 6'0 301
DT Enyi Uwazurike 6'6 311
DE Jaquan Bailey 6'2 261
DE Zach Peterson 6'4 267
LB Mike Rose 6'2 245
LB O'Rien Vance 6'1 248
CB Anthony Johnson 6'0 194
CB Tavonn Kyle 5'11 165
Star Lawrence White 6'0 190
FS Greg Eisworth 6'0 198
SS Isheem Young 5'10 200

Looks like some REAL depth on this D...guys like Mcdonald, Hummell, DJ Miller, Kym-mani King, Isaiah Lee, Tucker Robertson, Josh Bailey and a few others are ready to play (or already have) in prime time.

When we go 3 man front, I'd guess Peterson takes a breather with Bankston-Uwazurike-Bailey forming a very strong pass rushing trio...Mcdonald gets thrown in that group frequently as well so much flexibility.

I'm guessing Bankston doesn't start. Covid hurt his development

Help Support Us

Become a patron