Favorite Tailgating Foods?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
What are some of your favorite snacks/appetizers for tailgating?

I've done some searches to try and make a list of ideas for the year but every food blogger must think I'll have access to a commercial kitchen in the tailgating lots. Looking for ideas that are more involved than chips and salsa but don't require a culinary background to prepare.

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Beer.

Ok, other than that, a couple appetizers I like that are easy:

1) Dried beef, pickle, and cream cheese roll-ups.
2) Jalapeño peppers with cream cheese and a little smokie inside. Then wrap it in a piece of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Fry them up in a skillet and enjoy. No idea what that’s called, but they are good.

Reactions: ajspatio19

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Cheese, crackers, sausage and cold cuts. Deviled eggs.

Ham, cream cheese and pickle roll-ups (Iowa sushi)

We have had a lot of happy people with carryout. BBQ, wings, subs, pizza. It depends on game time, but it doesn't get any easier than having somebody else do it for you.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I discovered a really good snack food a few years ago at Hy-Vee. Some of the stores sell a crab ragoon dip and instead of chips buy their fried woton chips and its like having crab ragoon without the fryer.

Deer or beef sticks or summer sausage if you or friends get them processed at a locker go over well too.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’m a guy who likes my dips. Give me a jalapeño popper, buffalo chicken, smoked queso, etc. I love the options.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Brats. They may seem like the 'main course' type of deal but when I get a few beers in me I basically eat brats like a snack.
Just regular brat or do you do the different ones from hyvee /fareway?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We do a deep fried tailgate. Home maid onion rings, tenderloins, scotch eggs, bacon wrapped tatertots, twinkies, Oreos, candy bars, egg rolls, wings, fries, etc.

We did a deep fried prime rib roast once. It turned out really good better than expected. Deep fried turkey.

My favorite is a potato cheese soup with bacon in it. I make a large crock pot of it and it’s always the first to go.

• Wow
Reactions: JP4CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I used to love brats, but then was on a ambulance call and a dude in the bay next to us was getting one extracted from his rear end (didn’t ask why he had a brat up his rear) and I kinda lost a big part of my cravings for them.

• Angry
Reactions: Statefan10