Favorite Fan Interaction with Coach/Player

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
giphy.gif

Video of your fan interaction with Adam Woodbury?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I had a friend who claimed he got punched by Lane Danielsen at a house party. Trying to hit on the girl Lane was talking to.

I doubt my friend actually got punched, and I have no doubt he deserved to. :D

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I love the personality of some of our BB and FB players past and present. My son plays video games with several current and past players off of both, and it is awesome for them to take time and do that and above all most that I have heard have been really respectful and respectable with limited bad language (my son is 13) even though other people my son plays with (non ISU players) cuss like sailors.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
When ISU played Florida State in Arrowhead in the Grambling special, we bought tickets to attend a pre-game party tent fiesta that Johnny Orr was a host. My friends and I were watching the band, and someone came up behind us, put his arms around our shoulders and said, “How you boys doing?” Yep. Johnny Orr. It was actually a little creepy, a la Joe Biden moment, and we all still laugh about it today.

And Seneca was in!!!
I could tell this exact story except it was the wife and I.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Non-ISU

But I really enjoyed meeting Meadowlark Lemon. For you kids out there he was a star on the Harlem Globetrotters back in the day.

Super cool guy. RIP

Met Bill Buckner the same day. Both gone now. Father Time is undefeated

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
When I worked at Hy Vee in the pizza department, Royce White would come in occasionally for the tomato margarita pizza.
Just a thin cracker crust with olive oil, garlic, and diced tomatoes. He would have us add chicken. He had a sample of it one day and immediately ordered one to take home. It is pretty tasty.

Also made food for Niang while I was working at Es Tas. He had a burrito.

My brother sold Paul Rhoads a bow when he worked at Jax.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Growing up, my birthday celebration was to get to take a couple friends up to an ISU basketball game. One year, we made signs that said “Hit the 3, Willoughby!” and thought the 8.5”x11” computer printouts would be visible from the last rows of the balcony. Being big fans, we stuck around after the game by where the players would come up from the locker rooms and were able to get an autograph and a photo with Dedric. He even asked if he could keep one of the signs. That made him one of my favorite players growing up.

Fast forward to when I was in college and Dedric comes back to Hilton for the first time since his playing days to be honored for the All-Century Team. I was a manager for the team then and got to talk to him once again, coincidentally again on my birthday.

Reactions: NWICY

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
When the Clones played South Carolina at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, obviously not a big crowd, so I splurged for courtside seats as you would not often get to do that in an NBA arena. My younger daughter was around 15/16 at the time, extremely shy and not a sports fan. She was extremely nervous because she had heard that sometimes players jump into the stands. Told her that the odds were extremely low of her getting hit.

Sure enough, loose ball coming towards us and SC player dives and crashes on top of my daughter. Luckily it looked a lot worse than it was and she wasn't hurt. Arena medics came to check her out and she shooed them away. However, during the next timeout, Georges Niang came over to her and held her hand, looked her in the eye and made sure she was OK.

She's still embarrassed by the incident, but I thought it was really cool of Georges to do in the middle of a game.

Funny thing is, now she's a basketball cheerleader at Drexel, so has to dodge players regularly. Also has turned into a huge sports fan.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I worked for the football team from 2014-18 so I knew all the players very well and could tell stories for days. But my senior year I lived in the house next to Montgomery (as well as Deshaunte Jones and a couple others) in west Ames. They were great neighbors and came over to hang out a couple times which my roommates thought was the coolest thing in the world.

My favorite story is probably when my car was “broken into” (I forgot to lock it). Lost some unimportant stuff and like $25 so not that big of deal. Cop came and talked to us and said there’s been a couple reports in west Ames. Anyway the cop left and David came out and asked what happened. He said “well if it happens again you come get me, cops aren’t gonna do **** about it” and we all laughed pretty hard. He really is a great dude

Reactions: knightxc

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
At People’s with a bunch of people. A large group shows up at the front door, and the one leading the charge was Larry Eustachy. He takes one step in, looks around for about 5 seconds, yells “**** it!”, turns around and walks out.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I had a friend who claimed he got punched by Lane Danielsen at a house party. Trying to hit on the girl Lane was talking to.

I doubt my friend actually got punched, and I have no doubt he deserved to. :D
The real story:

Your friend got drunk and was creepin' up on a girl that Lane was friends with. Lane stood up to him, your friend grabbed Lane's arm, Lane pulled himself free and dropped your friend to the ground where he hit his face and ran away crying.

• Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I have another story: This past football season, I was in a long line for the bathroom in the Jacobson Building at halftime during the Baylor game, and noticed a guy wearing a Famous Potatoes Idaho Bowl jacket and decided to ask him about it. He said he got it when his son coached in that bowl game a few years back. I asked who his son was and he said "my son is the head coach here." So yeah, I waited in line with Matt Campbell's dad for the toilet. Nice guy!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I worked for a small telephone company out of college. The company was a partner with Iowa Network Services and Johnny Orr was a spokesman for INS

Unforgettable tag on that ad:
"Even you Hawkeye fans can call!"

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The real story:

Your friend got drunk and was creepin' up on a girl that Lane was friends with. Lane stood up to him, your friend grabbed Lane's arm, Lane pulled himself free and dropped your friend to the ground where he hit his face and ran away crying.

Were you there? That's probably quite likely!!!